Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-15, 03:36 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'm kind of ok with ditching the FT-1 thing. No doubt it looks cool as a concept but just imagine it in production shape, it would be another FT86>GT86 disappointment once all the exciting elements got ditched or toned down to almost invisible.

Toyota does have capable designers as we can see from FT-1 but their approval comity consists of p*****s that are scared to sign off polarizing designs. And that's how we got vanilla invisible outdated looking GT86 from an awesome FT86 Concept II, all the contemporary design elements were ditched.

Last edited by Vladi; 07-24-15 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-24-15, 05:57 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Well I'm kind of ok with ditching the FT-1 thing. No doubt it looks cool as a concept but just imagine it in production shape, it would be another FT86>GT86 disappointment once all the exciting elements got ditched or toned down to almost invisible.

Toyota does have capable designers as we can see from FT-1 but their approval comity consists of p*****s that are scared to sign off polarizing designs. And that's how we got vanilla invisible outdated looking GT86 from an awesome FT86 Concept II, all the contemporary design elements were ditched.
Agree, design is not the selling point of GT86. Even if it had the same performance as current one but looked as the concept it would sell better. Or at least FR-S concept.
Old 07-28-15, 03:50 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, I called it back in late 2014 when I said the collaborative platform design was being prepared for spring/summer 2015 design freeze. They were in the production concept stage back in early November 2014, which sounded weird to me, considering FT-1 already existed. A new proposal clearly won out back then and became the final article a few months ago this year.

A lot of people are not reading between the lines and will be disappointed if they are expecting a production FT-1 after this.
Old 07-28-15, 06:16 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

not too worried yet. BMW wouldn't make an ugly sportscar. i hope.
Old 07-28-15, 06:28 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Well, I called it back in late 2014 when I said the collaborative platform design was being prepared for spring/summer 2015 design freeze. They were in the production concept stage back in early November 2014, which sounded weird to me, considering FT-1 already existed. A new proposal clearly won out back then and became the final article a few months ago this year.

A lot of people are not reading between the lines and will be disappointed if they are expecting a production FT-1 after this.
I also called it. Several times I've debated with car guys the design was too exotic. Too over-the-top for a car called Toyota. That's not their way. The intricate details, thats just too expensive for mass production while keeping prices where the car makes money.
I\Whatever the reason I just didn't believe it. It was too good to be true.
Old 07-28-15, 09:57 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I kind of felt it was not going to look much like the concept. The concept was just too radical, too low, too difficult to put those complex shapes/angles/windshield in a somewhat affordable sports car. I am sure it will look good though, I hope the car looks more like the last Supra as that was a great design.
Old 10-29-15, 09:12 AM
zema
Driver

New Toyota Supra concept near

What's got a sequential manual gearbox, is co-developed with BMW, features a turbo-hybrid powertrain and could step on Lexus' toes?

Why, the born-again Toyota Supra of course.

In a wide-ranging interview in Tokyo overnight with a group of Australian journalists, Toyota's chief engineer for sports vehicle management (read: the bloke in charge of sports cars), Tetsuya Tada, said the upcoming hybrid flagship sports car will exceed expectations.

When motoring.com.au asked if another concept car would precede the production model, Tada-san responded: "Of course. We already prepare [a concept]. It's a surprise for next year."

It's not clear when the concept will drop, but the Detroit show in January is likely.

When the production version eventually appears, Tada insists it will not only be special, but worth the drawn-out reveal campaign, which can be traced back as far as the 2008 FT-HS concept and most recently included the 2014 FT-1 concept.

"There are so many high-end sport cars available in the world with 700 horsepower [515kW] or more [that are] not so special anymore," he said.

"So we try to realise something new and a new surprise for customers. Nobody will expect or imagine the new technology," he said.

The man behind the Toyota 86, Tada confirmed one of new technologies the Supra will take advantage of.

"Of course we are now investigating some new technology, a sequential gearbox," he confirmed.

But just because it makes use of a motorsport transmission, don't expect the Supra to be a 500kW-plus beast.

"That kind of horsepower makes no sense for our car. Almost all customers are not like professional racing drivers. They just want to enjoy, to feel something fun," said Toyota's sports car engineering chief.

We've written before that the new 'Supra' is expected to pack a six-cylinder turbocharged hybrid powertrain worth around 350kW, and although Tada-san wouldn't confirm vital statistics nor even the type of powertrain, he did say it would outperform some of Germany's most famous sports cars.

Asked if the Toyota 86's 'big brother', as he calls it, would be better than a Porsche, Tada-san didn't hesitate: "Yeah, of course".

Likely to reprise the Supra name, which "has a long heritage of Toyota sports, therefore Supra has a really good image and direction," the Japanese giant's new-generation sports flagship is expected to be roughly the same size as a Porsche 911, and could take design cues from the FT-1 (pictured).

But therein lies the problem for Toyota.

By developing this flagship sports car with whiz-bang technology, loads of power, exceptional handling dynamics and striking looks, it could ruffle a few feathers over at sister brand Lexus.

"It's easy to imagine it could be close to Lexus. It's difficult to position it [without encroaching Lexus], yes," agreed Tada-san.

But stepping on the toes of cars like the Lexus RC F may be the least of Toyota's worries.

With Honda's new NSX hybrid supercar almost production ready and Mazda confirming it will jump back into the rotary coupe arena, Toyota's reborn Supra won't have it all its own way in the Japanese sports car market.
source http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2015...ept-near-54794
Old 10-29-15, 10:00 AM
JessePS

That is some good news
Old 10-29-15, 12:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

So 2008 FT-HS concept >> 2014 FT-1 concept >> 2016 Supra concept ?!?!

If that's the case, finally!
Old 11-03-15, 06:54 AM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yall ready for the bad news?
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota...165438410.html
Tada hinted that the FT-1 replacement will use a sequential gearbox and a powertrain that won’t try to break any horsepower records. Instead, the Supra concept will be designed to deliver a fun-first driving experience.
It'll probably be slower then the new NSX, RX7 (or will it be the RX9?), WRX STI, GTR, And mitsubishi.... oh wait, mitsubishi doesn't have the ***** to make sports cars anymore.
Old 11-03-15, 12:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Supra concept will be designed to deliver a fun-first driving experience.
So 306hp 2GR-FSE
Old 11-11-15, 11:23 PM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
So 376hp 2GR-FSTT
FIFY

They at least promise us turbo.
Old 11-12-15, 10:25 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Hybrid powerplant is really disappointing to hear. If they do it, it will never have anything close to the following that MKIV Supra had. And they should learn from the reactions to the NSX so far. Too much technology does not make a great sports car. Especially one that weighs 3800 pounds in part because of the hybrid power plant.
Old 11-13-15, 09:02 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

These articles say something new every time we hear about it. Its a Toyota sportscar thats coming soon. Itll be around the size of the z4 but a bit bigger. So it wont be this huge GTR type beast. Hybrid, turbo, I or V6, its all a guessing game.
Old 11-17-15, 12:45 AM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to get a MKIV Supra TT/6spd and be happy. I'm not big on the BMW powertrain and with all this changing news and rumors I just don't care. Now, will I go to the stealership when the new Supra's come out and test drive one? You bet your sweet ****in *** I will. But I have no interest in it other then that. I'll still follow the new supra all the way to production, but I don't care for it other then that.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1