Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 05:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

awesome pic... i can definitely see the resemblance ...
Old 02-12-15, 03:22 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No new news, but if you haven't seen it in person; come to Chicago.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyo...auto-show.161/

Old 02-16-15, 09:56 AM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're literally showing the FT1 at every show! I don't think I've ever seen a concept shown this often and regularly.

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
No new news, but if you haven't seen it in person; come to Chicago.

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/toyo...auto-show.161/

Old 02-16-15, 01:15 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Akio Toyoda's Sports Car Problem - The Big Picture

Toyota has a fascinating history when it comes to sports cars. The 2000GT of the 1960s was powered by a Yamaha-developed twin-cam straight-six and styled with enough sex appeal that a topless version -- one of two built -- earned a supporting role in the 007 classic "You Only Live Twice." The original MR2 was a bijou mid-engine Ferrari for the masses, faster than a Porsche 914 and more reliable than a Fiat X1/9. The 1987 Celica -- the one with the 3S-GE engine -- set a new benchmark for front-drive handling.And then there was the Supra. Originally little more than a big-engined Celica, by the mid-'80s the Supra had become Toyota's flagship sports car, and by the '90s it boasted a 320-hp twin-turbo straight-six (in top-spec models), aluminum-intensive control-arm suspension all round, and even hollow-fiber carpet to reduce weight. Disable the speed limiter and the biggest, baddest Toyota of them all would blow Corollas into the weeds en route to a V-max north of 170 mph.

Make no mistake, Toyota can build great sports cars. The question is, does it really want to?News that Toyota is collaborating with BMW on a new sports car architecture -- one that will support a new-generation Z4 and the production version of the FT-1 concept that's been doing the auto show circuit -- has enthusiasts excited around the world. But history suggests this new Toyota sports car, which might bring back the Supra nameplate, will be launched with great fanfare, sell like hotcakes for a few years, then be quietly allowed to die as the company goes back to doing what it does best: building affordable, durable, and fuel-efficient cars and trucks.Mention the FT-1 to Toyota's U.S. chief Jim Lentz and it's immediately obvious he sees a problem rather than an opportunity. Lentz says sports cars suffer from an "extreme decay cycle" in terms of sales numbers. What he means, in plain English, is that they sell well for the first two years or so, but then sales numbers rapidly fall away to the point where the car generally consumes more time and effort and financial support than is worthwhile. And he has a point: Mainstream automakers, whose businesses are built around selling modestly priced vehicles with modest profit margins, struggle with affordable sports cars. Nissan's 370Z and Mazda's Miata are the exceptions that prove the rule.

That GM has managed to keep the Corvette alive for more than 60 years seems nothing short of a miracle. But its longevity, underpinned by truly impressive engineering advances over the past decade, means the Corvette has transcended conventional mainstream automaker economics and now sits in the same semi-exotic territory as Porsche's 911. The Corvette has been through good times and bad times -- just like the 911, which was almost killed off on several occasions -- but it has survived, and is now flourishing, because of passion and perseverance. Passion and perseverance at Toyota means the Prius, the antichrist automobile to many enthusiasts but arguably still the most efficient, durable, and best-packaged compact family car on the planet.

So why bother building a new Supra? "I think Akio [Toyoda] loves sports cars," says Lentz.

Sports cars are simply not a part of Toyota's DNA. And that's OK. They're not in Jeep's DNA, either. So why bother building a new Supra? "I think Akio [Toyoda] loves sports cars," says Lentz simply.Our conversation switches gears and we begin talking about the new Tacoma pickup that made its debut at the Detroit show. The Tacoma has owned the midsize truck segment for a decade, and now enjoys a 60 percent share of the market. Lentz points out the new Tacoma is the latest in a line of midsize Toyota pickups that dates back 50 years, and that the TRD versions accounted for about 40 percent of sales last year, with buyers tending to be younger than the rest of the Toyota line. Then he stops and says: "Tacoma is our sports car."He's probably right.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1502_alt...g_picture.html
Old 02-16-15, 04:15 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

Toyota has a fascinating history when it comes to sports cars. The 2000GT of the 1960s was powered by a Yamaha-developed twin-cam straight-six and styled with enough sex appeal that a topless version -- one of two built -- earned a supporting role in the 007 classic "You Only Live Twice." The original MR2 was a bijou mid-engine Ferrari for the masses, faster than a Porsche 914 and more reliable than a Fiat X1/9. The 1987 Celica -- the one with the 3S-GE engine -- set a new benchmark for front-drive handling.And then there was the Supra. Originally little more than a big-engined Celica, by the mid-'80s the Supra had become Toyota's flagship sports car, and by the '90s it boasted a 320-hp twin-turbo straight-six (in top-spec models), aluminum-intensive control-arm suspension all round, and even hollow-fiber carpet to reduce weight. Disable the speed limiter and the biggest, baddest Toyota of them all would blow Corollas into the weeds en route to a V-max north of 170 mph.

Make no mistake, Toyota can build great sports cars. The question is, does it really want to?News that Toyota is collaborating with BMW on a new sports car architecture -- one that will support a new-generation Z4 and the production version of the FT-1 concept that's been doing the auto show circuit -- has enthusiasts excited around the world. But history suggests this new Toyota sports car, which might bring back the Supra nameplate, will be launched with great fanfare, sell like hotcakes for a few years, then be quietly allowed to die as the company goes back to doing what it does best: building affordable, durable, and fuel-efficient cars and trucks.Mention the FT-1 to Toyota's U.S. chief Jim Lentz and it's immediately obvious he sees a problem rather than an opportunity. Lentz says sports cars suffer from an "extreme decay cycle" in terms of sales numbers. What he means, in plain English, is that they sell well for the first two years or so, but then sales numbers rapidly fall away to the point where the car generally consumes more time and effort and financial support than is worthwhile. And he has a point: Mainstream automakers, whose businesses are built around selling modestly priced vehicles with modest profit margins, struggle with affordable sports cars. Nissan's 370Z and Mazda's Miata are the exceptions that prove the rule.

That GM has managed to keep the Corvette alive for more than 60 years seems nothing short of a miracle. But its longevity, underpinned by truly impressive engineering advances over the past decade, means the Corvette has transcended conventional mainstream automaker economics and now sits in the same semi-exotic territory as Porsche's 911. The Corvette has been through good times and bad times -- just like the 911, which was almost killed off on several occasions -- but it has survived, and is now flourishing, because of passion and perseverance. Passion and perseverance at Toyota means the Prius, the antichrist automobile to many enthusiasts but arguably still the most efficient, durable, and best-packaged compact family car on the planet.

So why bother building a new Supra? "I think Akio [Toyoda] loves sports cars," says Lentz.

Sports cars are simply not a part of Toyota's DNA. And that's OK. They're not in Jeep's DNA, either. So why bother building a new Supra? "I think Akio [Toyoda] loves sports cars," says Lentz simply.Our conversation switches gears and we begin talking about the new Tacoma pickup that made its debut at the Detroit show. The Tacoma has owned the midsize truck segment for a decade, and now enjoys a 60 percent share of the market. Lentz points out the new Tacoma is the latest in a line of midsize Toyota pickups that dates back 50 years, and that the TRD versions accounted for about 40 percent of sales last year, with buyers tending to be younger than the rest of the Toyota line. Then he stops and says: "Tacoma is our sports car."He's probably right.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/1502_alt...g_picture.html

What the hell did I just read.... Tacoma is our sports car!?!

Wow...
Old 02-16-15, 06:14 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

They will learn a lot from engineering a sportscar. All technologies will tickle down to everything in the product line.
Old 02-16-15, 09:22 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

That Lentz guy sounds like a putz.

From what he said it sounds like he does not like sports cars and only cares about profits and selling very popular vehicles and does not want Toyota to waste time with sports cars and just build appliances on wheels. He does not understand that enthusiast vehicles bring passion to a brand and helps sell more mainstream products. It also seemed like he took a shot at Toyoda with the "he likes sports cars" comment like the only reason they might build a Supra is just because the CEO has a silly fascination with sports cars.
Old 02-17-15, 09:39 AM
Jason2801
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by UDel
That Lentz guy sounds like a putz.

From what he said it sounds like he does not like sports cars and only cares about profits and selling very popular vehicles and does not want Toyota to waste time with sports cars and just build appliances on wheels. He does not understand that enthusiast vehicles bring passion to a brand and helps sell more mainstream products. It also seemed like he took a shot at Toyoda with the "he likes sports cars" comment like the only reason they might build a Supra is just because the CEO has a silly fascination with sports cars.
I agree 100%. I hope this is Aiko Toyoda after reading this article

This is the Business mind set Toyota has had for the last few years.Seems like he's not seeing the bigger picture as to where this company is trying to go. Who knows maybe Jim Lentz is not going to be part of the future plan. Can't have someone running a business if they're not on board with where the company is going. Just my opinion.
Old 02-17-15, 11:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

The previous Gen supra lasted 5 years in its last life cycle and it's still one of the best vehicles to date and holding value. much longer than Lentz prediction of two years.
Old 02-17-15, 02:29 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Very saddening that Toyota N.A. is being led by someone who's both ignorant of Toyota's history and lacking in vision. The sooner he's gone the better.
Old 02-17-15, 04:37 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I think a good sports car can have a solid following.

To me the 86/BRZ is an underpowered crapbox.

Yes is is responsive and handles well but the booster has nothing to fear from those cars (I know the price point is different).

Here is the FT-1 from Chicago this week.
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Supra / FT-1-photo-17.jpg  
Old 02-17-15, 07:55 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I think a good sports car can have a solid following.

To me the 86/BRZ is an underpowered crapbox.

Yes is is responsive and handles well but the booster has nothing to fear from those cars (I know the price point is different).

Here is the FT-1 from Chicago this week.
Have u even driven a FRS/BRZ?????
Most ppl that call it slow are young kids that never drove these cars.
Miata is even slower yet it has been huge success.

Honestly due yourself a favor and go to ur local dealer for a test drive - if u are not giggling like a kid or have a big smile on your face than u dont like driving.

Its a different type of fun that a Mustang or GTR will give u.
Old 02-17-15, 08:06 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Have u even driven a FRS/BRZ?????
Most ppl that call it slow are young kids that never drove these cars.
Miata is even slower yet it has been huge success.

Honestly due yourself a favor and go to ur local dealer for a test drive - if u are not giggling like a kid or have a big smile on your face than u dont like driving.

Its a different type of fun that a Mustang or GTR will give u.
Miata NC is faster, and ND will be even more. NC3 MZR 2.0L is severely underrated, someone dynoed it 167whp, not at the crank. I would imagine new ND with 155hp/150lb of tq @ 2350lb is faster than the Twin at 200hp/151lb of tq @ 2800lb ( base at 2770lb). Remember Miata will have superior double wishbone front vs front strut in the twin as well. The twin is one of my favorite compact coupes, but it's going to be hard to beat a sub 2500lb droptop with superior suspension set up.
Old 02-18-15, 05:42 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

RNM,

I have no interest in driving it because it is a crap box.

The appeal to the car is the driving characteristics but that is not enough to drive real volume.

The car that we will see based on the FT-1 will be a nice car and great to drive and that should lead to a stable following.
Old 02-18-15, 07:21 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Because Lentz was dumping on the sports car market.

My sense is his opinion is somewhat driven by their experience around the 86/BRZ.

Yes the car is fun to drive but is that enough to make it a winner in terms of sales and I say not so much.

On the other hand I can see the FT-1 based car being very popular and adding to the legions of Toyota fans.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1