Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 08:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seeing it parked next to the MKIV Supra...the family resemblance is definitely there
Old 06-20-14, 08:27 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a hint that another concept is coming our way.

around the 12:50 mark Jay ask "is this the only one there is"

Alex responds by saying "currently yes".

Old 06-24-14, 10:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toyota favors Supra convertible over drop-top 86

Japanese brand says one of its three sportscars will be roofless, with revived Supra the most likely.

Toyota is looking to create a convertible version of its FT-1 concept. This image has been digitally altered.

Toyota is turning its attention to ripping the roof of its yet-to-be-revived Supra sports car rather than pushing forward a convertible version of its more affordable Toyota 86 coupe.

The chief engineer in charge of both vehicles, Tetsuya Tada, spoke to Drive at last weekend's Nurburgring 24-hour race, where he was overseeing a three car Gazoo Racing outfit that included the president of Japanese car maker, Akio Toyoda, driving an LFA to a class victory.

He says that while he hasn't "given up" on the prospect of a convertible 86, which is ready for production after it was first shown as a concept at last year's Geneva motor show and updated in right-hand drive for the Tokyo show, the economic downturn in Europe and slowing sales for the 86 in the US are making it difficult to justify the additional costs.

Instead, Tada says it may be easier to build a viable business case for a convertible variant of the more expensive sports car currently under development in partnership with BMW, which is expected to revive the Supra name plate.

Advertisement
"There are many business case study going on, [but] as we speak it is very hard to realise," he said.

"There are many articles regarding another sports model from Toyota up higher from 86. I'm thinking convertible model will be on higher model ... maybe."

"Our final goal [is that] we want to do three sports models from Toyota and at least one convertible model will be realistic."

Tada said the stunning FT-One the brand showed at the Detroit motor show in January is just the first of a number of concept cars the company will use to gauge reaction from customers on the styling of the Supra.

He said the final production car will most likely adopt the front-engined layout of the concept - and past Supras - but also admitted a mid-engined supercar was also being considered.

Tada is, however, remaining tight lipped on what will power Toyota's new flagships and just what level of components will be shared with BMW, which is rumoured to be using the project to create a new roadster above the Z4.

"FT-One is the first of the design studies and there are no technical or mechanical requirements yet," he said.

"We will make this more clear in the future."

While Tada is reluctant to discuss details of the third sports car in Toyota's trio, except to say it will be the "entry" model, one concept he all but quashed is the much-rumoured four-door version of the 86.

"Of course, this is possible technically speaking," he said.

"I think this is okay from a philosophy point of view, but always the business case is the most difficult point to bring this to the market

"We are studying this, but [more likely] this is pure concept."
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...624-zsjib.html
Old 06-24-14, 03:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyota favors Supra convertible over drop-top 86
No reason not to offer both

I'd love to see another MR2 though I'd be willing to give it up in exchange for Lexus getting a mid engine roadster in lieu of a MR2 to fight the Boxster
Old 06-24-14, 05:34 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
No reason not to offer both

I'd love to see another MR2 though I'd be willing to give it up in exchange for Lexus getting a mid engine roadster in lieu of a MR2 to fight the Boxster
Yeah really. They can work with Lotus to make an entry level mid ship car.... with RC-F V8 at the back.
Old 06-24-14, 09:21 PM
LexFather

Just build it first thank you.

Old 06-24-14, 09:51 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26

Tada said the stunning FT-One the brand showed at the Detroit motor show in January is just the first of a number of concept cars the company will use to gauge reaction from customers on the styling of the Supra.

"FT-One is the first of the design studies and there are no technical or mechanical requirements yet," he said.

"We will make this more clear in the future."

Holy. *****. I hope this is wrong: "just the first of a number of concepts"??!!??

Can someone just send me a PM in 5-10 years when a new Supra is finally ready to buy? I have literally been waiting since 2001 (when I sold my '97) for another turbo Supra. At the rate this is all going, maybe I should cryo myself so that I'm not to freakin old to drive the thing when it is finally available. It has been 17 years since Toyota has offered a legit sports car in the US. Unfathomable.
Old 06-24-14, 10:23 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Initial B
Holy. *****. I hope this is wrong: "just the first of a number of concepts"??!!??

Can someone just send me a PM in 5-10 years when a new Supra is finally ready to buy? I have literally been waiting since 2001 (when I sold my '97) for another turbo Supra. At the rate this is all going, maybe I should cryo myself so that I'm not to freakin old to drive the thing when it is finally available. It has been 17 years since Toyota has offered a legit sports car in the US. Unfathomable.
I'd been waiting for a hotted up version of FR-S/BRZ, never happen, so I got 15 WRX. I think Supra will be released in the next 2 or 3 years. It normally takes 4-5 years to develop a sportcar, and Toyota has been working on the car for a while now.
Old 06-25-14, 06:42 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Initial B

I would say its actuate.

The 86/FR-S, LFA, LF-LC (SC, LC or what ever they end up calling it) all got 2-3 concepts before a production version debut.
Old 07-14-14, 11:54 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

More rumors... but here goes.

Next-gen BMW Z4, Toyota Supra revival to share platform, report claims

The upcoming sports car platform co-developed by BMW and Toyota will allegedly both the next-generation Z4 and a new Supra.

Previous reports have denied rumors that Toyota would use the platform to underpin a new Supra, arguing that Toyota would instead release an entirely new entry-level model to slot below the Toyota 86/Scion FR-S -- an offering considered unworthy of the Supra name.

Unnamed sources now tell Nikkei the Japanese automaker will, in fact, take advantage of the partnership to revive its flagship sports car nameplate that was retired entering the 21st century. Toyota earlier this year renewed its trademark for the Supra name, which had expired in 2006, suggesting the resurrection may be under serious consideration.

The rumors have agreed that the separate brands will outfit the platform with different body designs. Additional details remain unclear, though lightweight construction and a BMW engine have been named as likely features.

The latest report claims the automakers are aiming to introduce the models as early as 2017.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-gen...rt-claims.html

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 07-14-14 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 02:16 PM
Hoovey689

Additional details remain unclear, though lightweight construction and a BMW engine have been named as likely features.
What are the odds the Supra will be using a version of the N55?

Purists may object, but at least it would be in a 'i' formation like the legendary 2JZ
Old 07-14-14, 04:05 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
The more I see this vehicle, the more I am absolutely astonished thatToyota is seriously considering building this. Can you imagine going to the Toyota dealership to look at Corollas and seeing this sitting in the showroom????
Old 07-14-14, 04:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by KevinGS
The more I see this vehicle, the more I am absolutely astonished thatToyota is seriously considering building this. Can you imagine going to the Toyota dealership to look at Corollas and seeing this sitting in the showroom????
Granted this is more exotic looking, but this is no different than going into a Nissan dealer for a Sentra and seeing a GT-R or a few years ago going to Ford for a Focus and seeing a GT supercar
Old 07-14-14, 04:16 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Granted this is more exotic looking, but this is no different than going into a Nissan dealer for a Sentra and seeing a GT-R or a few years ago going to Ford for a Focus and seeing a GT supercar
Yeah, but this is Toyota. It's been YEARS since they've had such a car to wow the masses with. I applaud them for taking this much needed leap....
Old 07-14-14, 04:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by KevinGS
Yeah, but this is Toyota. It's been YEARS since they've had such a car to wow the masses with. I applaud Akio Toyoda for taking this much needed leap....
fixed for you

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1