Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 01:24 PM
madfast
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda looks like this

the media, again, is using the s word in every article about a toyota coupe. the swan neck wing gives away that its probably a GT race car and not necessarily a road car.

Last edited by madfast; 12-14-13 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-14-13, 04:13 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
It will. Expect a bit more

Because it just makes all the senses.

MK3 was costing nearly Corvette price. 45k

This will also be around the same as C7 price
If the car is going electric hybrid, I don't see it priced anywhere close to the base C7. It's probably somewhere in C7 Z06 territory, which is where the audiences don't care much about efficiency, but performance.
Old 12-14-13, 04:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial B
I agree that the headlights and vents near the B-pillars are similar....but that's Toyota's bad. Smaller Honda is beating them to the punch with the new NSX being released sooner, so this design will now rightfully become theirs.
lol, how does that work?
Old 12-15-13, 07:37 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Whitigir
That "Few" can be as much as A Few Few more years.

Toyota usually take years, and I mean 3-4 years or even more before production

Which is good though, I can keep on saving money LOL!
LF-A concept yes, but that was a special project.

I really don't know where you are getting your facts from.

Lexus displayed its Sport Coupe concept at the 1999 Tokyo Motor Show. The production version SC 430, debuted a year later at the Paris Motor Show in 2000.

FT-86 was shown at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. Two years later the Toyota 86 was unveiled at the 2011 Toyko Motor Show.

LF-CC was shown at the 2012 Paris Motor Show. One year later the Lexus RC was unveiled at the 2013 Toyko Motor Show.
Old 12-15-13, 08:13 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
And NSX doesn't look like FT-HS either. Well maybe the way I look at it is different from you guys.

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to go off topic. Let's get back in.
Thats fine, every thread pretty much goes off topic at some point.

I don't think anyone is saying the new NSX is rip off of the FT-HS. But instead it appears to have some of the same styling clues. Which is fine, because a lot of cars borrow styling clues from other cars.
Old 12-15-13, 01:44 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Thats fine, every thread pretty much goes off topic at some point.

I don't think anyone is saying the new NSX is rip off of the FT-HS. But instead it appears to have some of the same styling clues. Which is fine, because a lot of cars borrow styling clues from other cars.
Exactly. Like I said before, proportions are totally different. FT-HS will have a none- exotic looking. It may have a serious sportcar looking, but not exotic looking. FR layout really makes FT-HS looks nothing like a supercar. Unless in the production design, they decided to go with longer hood and small cockpit like those in LFA "just enough to be in the same group" , SLS, Corvette, and Viper, previous Supra.

Edit: Looking at the old Supra, it has similar proportion to those GT-supercars. The Silhouette shows the car with a long hood, hope they keep it that way.

Last edited by cino; 12-15-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 05:30 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

^Ok, I never disagreed with that.

Back on topic with the Toyota concept now
Old 12-15-13, 05:49 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
^Ok, I never disagreed with that.

Back on topic with the Toyota concept now
I thought I already stick to describing the Supra, Toyota Concept Silhouette, and FT-HS.
Old 12-15-13, 06:22 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by cino
I thought I already stick to describing the Supra, Toyota Concept Silhouette, and FT-HS.
I was really trying to directed at everyone, not you
Old 12-15-13, 07:18 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
The 2007 Toyota concept sure has some things the 2016 NSX shares and the NSX rips the LFA interior. Not to mention Lexus and Toyota lead with hybrid tech which Honda is now going after (real hybrids not an IMA assist)

Me thinks you should stop with the insults and accept reality
Again, don't see how you see the FT-HS influencing the NSX or being similar(aside from 2 doors, 4 wheels, etc). The only other thing they both have that is rare for other cars is a flying buttress which have different a styles/location on each car. You posted a picture that had them shot in the same position at the same angle which is where most of that similarity is coming from, you can do that with a lot of cars. The cars still have very different profiles and looks. Maybe you are seeing some angular design cues from both cars, thing is Acura has been doing more angular design for its sedans and SUV's since 99 with the original MDX, TL's, TSX, ZDX, original RDX, last 2 V10 ASC sports car concepts had very angular designs where Lexus and Toyota have always had softer more rounded designs up until the current IS, CT, GS, RX, Camry, RAV4, Corolla, went with a more angular design, so who is inspiring who?

The interior is a little similar with the high central tunnel to the LFA but if you compare them side by side they are still pretty different, maybe since Lexus has a available red interior and Acura put a red one in the concept that is where some have seen the similarities, the NSX most likely needs the high central tunnel for the hybrid hardware and that interior was just one design study, they said they are going to have a more radical and different interior in the next NSX show car.

Toyota did lead with hybrid tech, the Prius is a huge success though that has more to do with its eco image and marketing then the actual car being that great of a driver. Still I give credit to Toyota for having such a successful hybrid/Prius, it was the right direction. Honda's less expensive, less advanced IMA path was not the right direction, the market clearly chose the Prius over the Insight. Right now though I don't see Toyota leading with Hybrid tech, Honda's new hybrid systems in the new Accord hybrid and RLX 3 motor hybrid(and upcoming NSX) are more advanced, shift better, have less negative "hybrid" characteristics, that does not mean they will sell as well as Toyota hybrids but they are more advanced, I am sure Toyota will be making improvements soon too though.
Old 12-16-13, 01:05 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Toyota UK is saying "Available as free downloadable content early in 2014". looks like they are going to make us wait until Detroit :/

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/first-glimp...ts-car-concept
Old 12-30-13, 10:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

wouldn't it be awesome if toyota bought bmw?

anyway, very exciting news about these vehicles.
Old 12-30-13, 01:06 PM
LexFather

Probably at least 2 years away I assume… the FRS thread was what 5 years old by the time it hit the market…..

Exciting possibilites...

Old 12-30-13, 07:31 PM
ISF350
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recalled the ft86 project team started some where around mid 2008. 2009 was first concept car then It took them a while to incorporate w/ Subaru flat-4 boxer to achieve low COG. Finally it hit the US dealer in mid 2012. So it was near 4 years for the 86 project car to hit the US consumer. I hope the Supra can hit the showroom sooner by spring 2015.
Old 12-30-13, 07:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

as i keep harping, this is likely nothing to do with Supra at all.

According to some internal sources, the first vehicle to be produced is expected to be a high-performance hybrid model similar to the LF-LC concept and is expected to cost more than $300,000.
http://www.inautonews.com/toyota-bmw...m#.UsI7O_RDv1w

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1