Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

McLaren 720S Totalled in my area.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-18, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default McLaren 720S Totalled in my area.

This from the Washington Post......Somebody with (apparantly) more money than common sense ran an McLaren 720S, worth over 300K, right into a tree, not very far from my house (maybe 4-5 miles). I sometimes use that road (and others like it in the area) for auto reviews in the Tysons Corner/McLean area, because the winding two-lane roads (in the absence of a lot of traffic) are good for checking out how well the vehicle takes hills and sharp curves. But I certainly don't drive like this person did.

The paper did not identify the driver (who was injured, but apparently not seriously) or any criminal or previous driving record. Speculation is that he (or she) was a young juvenile, with rich parents who recently bought the car.....perhaps as a graduation present, but that is not known for sure. (That area is extremely high income.......one of the highest in the U.S.)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.8db514ea777d
Public Safety

Newly owned British sports car crashes into tree

A McLaren 720S crashed in the Great Falls area of Fairfax County on Saturday. The driver’s injuries were described as not life-threatening. But the dollar value of the damage was placed in the six figures. #

# (my guess, from the damage, is that it was
totaled...I can't see any body shop, especially on an exotic, trying to repair that much damage, or any insurance policy agreeing to it).......MM

(Fairfax County Police photo)

By Martin WeilJuly 14 at 11:53 PM

martin.weil@washpost.com?subject=Reader%20feedback%20for%20'Newly%20owned%20British%20sports%20car%20crashes%20into%20tree'

The British sports car that crashed into a tree in Fairfax County on Saturday had been owned for a day and represented a dollar loss in the hundreds of thousands, according to the county police.

In a Twitter post, the police called the vehicle a McLaren 720S, which they described as “costing around $300,000.”

After the crash in the Great Falls area, the driver was taken to a hospital, the police said, with injuries that “thankfully” were not life-threatening.

Asserting that the wreck destroyed the vehicle and occurred because of speeding, the tweet called it “a reminder to slow down.” Otherwise, police said, “it could cost you.”

On its website, the McLaren company said its 720S model is a supercar, lighter, stronger and faster, embodying “our relentless quest to push the limits of possibility.”

Police said the crash occurred about 7:45 a.m. in the 1000 block of Walker Road. The site was about a mile and a half south of Georgetown Pike.

According to the tweet, it could have been driven for only a brief time. “Purchased Friday,” the tweet said. “Totaled Saturday.”

The driver was not identified.

A used McLaren 720S, with about 1,300 miles on it, is advertised on the Carfax website for $317,255.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-15-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 05:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Not a McLaren, but this happened in Chicago about a week ago involving a Lambo Huracan..

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/07/la...civic-chicago/
Old 07-16-18, 10:31 AM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

What baffles me is that no one has reported about the condition of the tree.
Old 07-16-18, 11:15 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

I was listening to DC101 on the radio this morning and they were talking about this accident for a while as the morning radio guy likes cars. Then Tommy Milner of Corvette Racing called in to talk about it which was pretty cool.
Old 07-16-18, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MedicalDoc
What baffles me is that no one has reported about the condition of the tree.
Most solidly-rooted trees of that size can withstand a pretty good impact, particularly from exotic cars like the Mclaren, which are made of lightweight materials.
Old 07-16-18, 01:48 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm glad to read the tree is ok.