Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 07:52 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I definitely see F1 in the nose of the car and it's in the rear with the safety light in the diffusor as well. The back end of this car is sik! The front end should be toned down just a bit with the ginormous intakes on each side of the nose. I think they're way too big and bland. Otherwise, the design is great! The side profile looks sik! I think this car looks way better than the RC-F. Whether they call it a Supra or not, it looks like this would be a hot car if they priced it right and speced it right. I would hope for something starting low to high 40's and top out at 60k. It would have to have the performance to match that of course as it would be pushing into IS-F/RC-F and M3/M4 space. Toyota used to have an in-line 6 and haven't used that config for a very long time. Maybe with the partnership with BMW, the in-line 6 will come back. I'm still hoping for a sequential turbo set up like it used to be. A fantasy set up with be a triple turbo. A super small turbo that is somehow always spinning for the instant response. Maybe have an electric turbo for this super small turbo or in some way, have the exhaust gases "leaked" to this small turbo so it spins and is ready to go. Then have another turbo that's a little larger (maybe small-medium) pick up from there and then the sequential turbo (maybe medium-large) top it out.

If this is the next Supra, please let it be...
1. in-line 6
2. at least twin tubro
3. 7 speed double clutch
4. weigh way less than RC-F - low 3000 lbs
5. use more carbon fiber
6. let that rear spoiler make it to production. dang, it's tall like the gen 4 supra and look at that shape. sexy!
7. dare I say but have carbon ceramic brake option
8. lsd
9. ...and still be reliable as all Toyotas have been known to be
Old 01-13-14, 08:20 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the same car too me.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 08:40 AM
DrDrilZ
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car looks good, as concepts usually do. the ft-86 concept looked great too. but then we see what the production looked like in comparison. same with the new wrx. i never get excited with concepts anymore.
Old 01-13-14, 08:47 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the freshest concept designs in last five years, I absolutely love it!

But to be honest getting excited about this will most likely be the same as getting excited about FT-86 concept and watered down but still awesome FT-86 Concept II only to get totally lackluster looking production model.
Old 01-13-14, 08:47 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Toyota FT-1 Concept: Supra Successor Hinted At Detroit Show

Car enthusiasts have been clamoring for a replacement for Toyota's iconic Supra for years now, and the Toyota FT-1 concept unveiled at the 2014 Detroit Auto Show is our best look yet at just such a car. The work of America's own Calty Design Research, the FT-1 steps away from Toyota's more eco-friendly concepts of late and delivers something truly exciting--a powerful, agile sports car with sensuous curves and a focused interior layout. Gearhead Toyota boss Akio Toyoda gave designers a simple but important motive before they set to work on the car: Make it cool.

Calty has a long and illustrious history of producing interesting designs--it's previously worked on the original 1978 Celica, the Lexus SC400, the Supra and the FT-HS concept--and the FT-1 concept is no different. The profile is long and low, the low nose leads into an extended hood, and the concept features powerful rear haunches for the traditional sports car stance. One of the designers' main goals was to create a form that looked sculpted by the wind and by speed, at once remaining functional--hence the large air intakes either side of the extended nose, and the deep side intakes aft of the doors.

While hard to tell from some angles, that black area on the hood isn't just paint, either. Like on many supercars, the FT-1 features a glass panel to allow a glimpse at the internal combustion engine below. There are large alloy wheels, a deep front spoiler and a pronounced kick to the rear end, not dissimilar from the aggressive, cab-back shape of American sports cars like the Corvette and Viper. For the car's glasshouse, there's more than a passing nod to one of Toyota's most celebrated models--the stunning 2000GT.

Inside there's functional minimalism. Light weight is the order of the day, with padding only where it's needed and a 'slingshot' cockpit design, where all the controls are tightly packed around the driver's position. There's a jet fighter-style head up display above the steering wheel and most of the minor switchgear is located on the wheel itself, letting the driver keep their hands on the wheel. If this is beginning to sound like a video game, then you aren't far off--Toyota and Calty have collaborated with the creators of the Gran Turismo game series, and the FT-1 is soon to feature in the latest installment, Gran Turismo 6.

Toyota says the car is symbolic of a new chapter in Toyota's design standards, boss Toyoda adding that the company now aims to create cars that people want--cars they simply have to drive. If that means a new Supra to join the smaller GT 86 in Toyota's lineup, that's okay by us.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...t-detroit-show
Old 01-13-14, 08:50 AM
xioix
Racer

Yeah, a Supra successor that looks like that cannot only have ~300hp
Old 01-13-14, 08:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
If this is the next Supra, please let it be...
1. in-line 6
2. at least twin tubro
3. 7 speed double clutch
4. weigh way less than RC-F - low 3000 lbs
5. use more carbon fiber
6. let that rear spoiler make it to production. dang, it's tall like the gen 4 supra and look at that shape. sexy!
7. dare I say but have carbon ceramic brake option
8. lsd
9. ...and still be reliable as all Toyotas have been known to be
oh and yours for $100+k

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Looks like the same car too me.
really?
- silhouette has rear caliper on front of wheel (vs. concept)
- silhouette hood is higher
- silhouette wing is completely different.
- silhouette has front 'train' spoiler

i don't believe these two are in any way related...

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
i never get excited with concepts anymore.
amen.
Old 01-13-14, 08:59 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
really?
- silhouette has rear caliper on front of wheel (vs. concept)
- silhouette hood is higher
- silhouette wing is completely different.
- silhouette has front 'train' spoiler

i don't believe these two are in any way related...
Well the silhouette for GT6 is:

1. Maybe a racing version of the concept?
2. It was just a rough sketch.
3. The actual concept was taken at a lower front angle shot.
4. Only one new Toyota sports car is confirmed for GT6.

Example

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-13-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 09:06 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome concept car - very exciting

What I like most about the FT-1 is how it pays homage to so many previous great Toyota/Lexus sports cars - 2000GT, Supra, LFA, GT86/FRS and FT-HS. It seems like Supra proportions were the starting point, and detailing/inspiration was added in from all of the aforementioned vehicles.

I wonder if this car will be the "Toyota half" of Toyota's partnership with BMW, because while I don't know much about specs, it seems like it would make sense to try to share parts or resources with RC or LF-LC.

Also, again, in classic Supra proportions, the hood is very long but there also seems to be a very large/long engine nestled inside. I would almost guess I6 but that seems to make little sense. Perhaps Toyota will be tuning it's own version of the RC F's V8? I'd almost like to see them update or overhaul the 2GR-FSE and blow it with twin turbos, in the "Supra" spirit.

In terms of pricing, I see this car going head-to-head more with the Corvette. Hell, GT-R is now 100k+ so I am comfortable with Toyota being in the ~$60-70k range, though that could put this hypothetical car in direct competition with the RC F.

Lots of exciting things happening at Toyota right now
Old 01-13-14, 09:09 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default More Press Release Photos

Toyota FT-1 Concept First Look, Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du0jGUZZQVU

Toyota took the wrapper off an exciting new concept car at the 2014 North American International Auto Show. The FT-1 is a stunner!

This is an aggressive, track-focused sports car. It’s got a front engine and rear-wheel drive. It supposedly indicates the company’s future styling direction. In fact they call it the “spiritual pace car for Toyota Global Design,” which sounds like a really big deal.

The FT-1 draws on the company’s sporting heritage, cars like the Celica, Supra, MR2 and of course the contemporary Scion FR-S. The press release calls it a unique fusion of both emotional and rational factors.

Outside, this car’s body features a retractable rear wing along with a host of other aerodynamic features including ducts and vents that manage airflow at racetrack speeds. Moving inside, it’s got a sporty, low-slung cockpit with a driver-focused layout. Designers also took steps to reduce weight with things like a carbon-fiber seat.

The powertrain is housed under a transparent hood while an ambiguous engine cover leaves much to the viewer’s imagination. And you’re going to have to use your own mind’s eye because we have no idea if the Toyota FT-1 will ever go into production.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ook-video.html

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 09:14 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the hottest sports car concepts in recent memory...wow...
Old 01-13-14, 09:24 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Cool looking concept, nice and aggressive, far far better then the FT-HS. I can't exactly tell but it looks like a 2 seater instead of a 2+2 like the last Supra.

I like most of it, mainly the side profile but many styling elements are way too radical to even come close to making production especially the front and rear which look over styled to me along with the super low ride height. The production version if they build one is going to look pretty different and won't have those extreme low looks. I am not a fan of the F1 snout, it kind of ruins the front end to me.

I am not seeing much Supra in it, I am seeing more last gen RX-7, TVR, and Dodge Viper, and the Lexus concept which is not bad.

Thumbs up on them using a IC engine for this car, I remember someone at Toyota saying this car is likely gong to use a regular IC engine and not a hybrid drivetrain. I would like to know what they will position this car to compete with, a 370Z with around 350hp-375hp or a Corvette/911 S with around 400hp or more.
Old 01-13-14, 09:25 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

Damn, love the new batch of pictures

I don't care what they call it, just bring it.
Seeing how the RC production has been pretty good, I hope toyota won't neuter this concept (esp. the front for pedestrian safety regulation, blah blah blah).

Last edited by GS3Tek; 01-13-14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-13-14, 09:28 AM
venom21
Instructor

Love it, best concept the Toyota, Lexus included, has done in years.
Old 01-13-14, 09:31 AM
JessePS

It reminds me a bit of the TVR for some reason.

Anyways for the love of god Toyota... please sell this car!

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1