Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 10:17 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's not terrible at all.
Old 05-15-17, 02:42 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Latest renders of the potential Supra:

These latest renders look good. Sorry but something about the previous renders just didn't quite look like what I would expect a Supra to look like. I know they were just renders and came prototypes but this render looks more like what I would expect the Supra to look like. The lower front bumper looks way more aggressive and it's nice to see the BMW mirrors gone on this render.

As far as the name goes, I hope they stick with Toyota Surpa. Since pretty much all cars are now Turbo, using Toyota Supra Turbo won't have the same meaning like it did back in the 90's so maybe the "performance" version of the Supra will be something like Toyota Supra Gazoo or something like that.
Old 06-07-17, 09:44 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Default A few more updates on the upcoming "Supra"

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/06/06/n...mws-parts-bin/

"We've posted plenty of photos of the new Toyota Supra. The car is being developed in Germany alongside the new BMW Z4 (though we thought for a while it might carry the Z5 name). For months, all we had was heavily camouflaged shots of the exterior, but in the past two weeks our trusty spy photographers have managed to capture photos of both cars' interiors. Surprise! The pair share almost identical styling.

These photos don't show anything new on the Supra's exterior. Simply put, the new Supra will basically be a coupe version of the Z4 with unique styling and likely a different engine, though it's unclear if it will get a manual transmission. Inside, the Supra is all BMW. The shifter, dash, buttons, *****, switches, stalks, and even the steering wheel are all straight from the BMW parts bin. There is a Toyota badge hidden on the steering wheel, meaning it's probably the production version.

Some people may be disappointed, but trust us when we say that BMW offers a more upscale and sporty interior than anything from Toyota. Putting a Lexus interior inside might cause too much brand confusion, and sharing parts keeps costs down. We don't have a great view of anything but the dash, console, and steering wheel, so we can't see if the seats are shared components as well.

No word on when the cars will make their full debut, but the pair have been in development for a while now. Look for more news this fall."

I know it's just a prototype and most have given up their hopes for this revival, but maybe, JUST MAYBE, Toyota's production model will not look like that monstrosity.
Old 06-07-17, 10:07 AM
Socal858
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am REALLY curious to see if either the spy shots show an all BMW interior because they were too lazy to build test cars with both interiors, or if this is just circumstance in that they caught a test mule with a BMW interior but production will have a Toyota interior, or if the engineers are just trolling us with the BMW interior as a joke.....

I wouldn't have anything against a BMW interior since I have had BMW's but it just seems lazy and unlikely to have a carbon copy BMW interior with a T slapped on the wheel..
Old 06-07-17, 10:40 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I'd be a fan, I mean who wasn't, just that the price of the last one was so high.....it really is time for Japan to start building these types of cars again....
Old 06-07-17, 11:52 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Pure sacrilege for Toyota to rebadge a BMW to a Supra and stick some electric motors on it.

If this thing is a Hybrid as reported, it will sell on par with new NSX.
Old 06-07-17, 12:06 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I just don't see this new Supra as being the Corvette/911/928 competitor/beater the last Supra Turbo was from the pictures and information I am getting. This seems more like a much lower end car and more of a step above the GT86 or a 370Z/Mustang competitor. The last Supra was related to the SC300/400 so if this was really in the same category as the last Supra it would be related to the LC500 with a unique engine, not a lower end BMW Z4 roadster/coupe with likely a BMW or common Toyota 4 or 6 cylinder powerplant. I don't think this Supra is going to sell very well or impress enthusiasts as it will be too low end to really entice previous owners/911/Corvette shoppers and too expensive to entice bargain shoppers who will just get a V8 Mustang, Charger, Camaro instead.
Old 06-07-17, 12:31 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish toyota would build it themselves .... now all the german fanboys will say Toyota can only make a legit sports car because they had german help It'll just spread the "boring toyota" image
Old 06-07-17, 03:11 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Socal858
I am REALLY curious to see if either the spy shots show an all BMW interior because they were too lazy to build test cars with both interiors, or if this is just circumstance in that they caught a test mule with a BMW interior but production will have a Toyota interior, or if the engineers are just trolling us with the BMW interior as a joke.....

I wouldn't have anything against a BMW interior since I have had BMW's but it just seems lazy and unlikely to have a carbon copy BMW interior with a T slapped on the wheel..
According to the pictures, the spy shot of the steering wheel revealed an embossed Toyota emblem under the cover. This interior may be close to the production model....

And if we all look closely, this is really just FT 86 with "updated" interior and exterior.................
Old 06-07-17, 04:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

So the electronics will BMW's? I'll pass....

This could be the most "unreliable" Toyota ever.
Old 06-07-17, 05:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yep.....hope we don't see one of those BMW joy-stick shifters. It's bad enough that I'll have a similar one in my upcoming Lacrosse LOL.

I'd say that award goes to the 1990s Toyota Cavalier. Toyota, at that time, had a business-agreement with GM where Corollas were re-badged and sold here as the Chevy/Geo Prizm, and the American-designed Chevy Cavalier was rebadged in Japan as a Corolla variant.

Toyota, of course, also re-badged the Matrix as the Pontiac Vibe....but that was a reliable Toyota design, not a true Pontiac.
Old 06-08-17, 12:11 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Man **** BMW, they have had some good designs in the past, but all their current stuff is rather bland IMO. But my main beef with BMW is that they are unreliable money pits out of warranty. I remember a youtuber saying his out of warranty 2009 V10 M5 was WAY more expensive to maintain over 3 years vs his Ferrari F430, like over $10k more expensive, this despite them both getting driven about 5,000 miles a year. I mean he had things like the SMG gearbox going bad, along with a whole nother list of problems, the Ferrari, it ran like a top, only expenses were regular maintenance, brakes, and tires, never left him stranded, unlike the BMW.

That's the main thing I have against this BMW/Toyota team up, BMW builds **** cars only designed to last to the warranty period, then y
Old 06-08-17, 09:18 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

So far, the exterior production version is looking very close to the concept.

Originally Posted by GSteg

It's looking that way for me as well. I'm not liking that interior at all since it's way off (if it's production ready, just covered up) and using bmw's electronics
I do hope toyota has something special up their sleeve....wishful thinking?
Old 06-08-17, 02:04 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Also rumors that Supra might be Auto only.
Test mules have the BMW auto shifter not the DCT.

I hope a version is available with RWD and gas only engine.
AWD hybrid with auto sounds real heavy.
Old 06-09-17, 04:28 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

yea i'm not all too thrilled about how this new "Supra" is coming along, especially because how capable i know toyota can be when they make the effort (original Supra, LFA, Land Cruiser, LS 400, etc...) so it disappoints me that this new "Supra" is literally a BMW, and i shall continue to use quotes around it lol

i'm sure it'll be great to drive but it's not a Supra which may be a silly reason to not like it but that's a big reason

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1