Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-16, 09:49 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Toyota make enough money, a sales hit with the Supra shouldn't concern them. It helps brand image as well as having a sports car to have for purchase. Costs to produce should be lower thanks to the BMW partnership.
thank you, cars like these aren't meant to make money. they're meant to draw people into the brand and showcase what toyota is technologically capable of. toyota has historically done things that weren't profitable and that's always when they make their best cars (LS 400, LFA, Supra) so i don't know why it's so unfathomable that they couldn't do it again.
Old 09-09-16, 11:10 AM
rmito
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Supra spied

As we knew, it will share a platform with the BMW Z5.

Looking nice.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/07/t...#slide-4049768
Old 09-09-16, 12:28 PM
movin_up
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
a Supra shouldn't be something that everyone can buy. it's not an FR-S. the Supra has always been a Skyline competitor with similar performance, why would you want this new one to get completely #rekt by the GT-R? the Supra shouldn't sell in large numbers, seeing one on the street should make you go "whoa!! it's a Supra!!" i don't want to see a lot of Supras being driven around, rarity and exclusivity creates demand and excitement.
good, the Supra shouldn't sell in high numbers. it's a disgrace to the Supra name for the "good" version to top out at $50,000, which is less than a Supra cost 20 years ago NOT taking inflation into account. how is toyota supposed to take down godzilla when you want the Supra to be something designed to sell in high numbers and be profitable?
I understand your points, but Nissan went bat**** crazy with the GTR and I don't think that Toyota intends to compete on that level with this car. Toyota wants a car with driving dynamics that you can have some fun with. They want you to buy it with a manual transmission and feel what the car is doing. They don't want an over-complicated transmission and launch control to put good numbers on paper that you won't actually use day to day.

I think the Supra was always intended to sit alongside the Z and the RX7. The GTR was kind of its own weird thing. I think the Z will get a makeover to slot into the competition with this Supra and hopefully a Mazda will come into the picture again too. Let the GTR do what it does. I think if Toyota wants to take that on they'll do it with a Lexus.
Old 09-09-16, 12:36 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i think $40k is delusional.

The Supra Turbo in 1993 was about $46k. In 1998 (18 years ago!), when it was cancelled, the Supra Turbo was base MSRP of over $55k.
The Supra was killed in the US relatively quickly because it was priced too high and did not have many buyers. I think they had a special edition/price on Supra turbo's in 97 of around $40K or 45K and it still did not sell very many. I hope they don't make the same mistake of pricing it too high again especially considering how big the market is for muscle cars with their relatively low price for the performance they offer but from the looks of that camo concept and it possibly having a 4cyl base engine this new Supra is not going to be anywhere near as special, desirable, and high end as the last one.
Old 09-09-16, 12:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

a Supra shouldn't be something that everyone can buy. it's not an FR-S. the Supra has always been a Skyline competitor with similar performance, why would you want this new one to get completely #rekt by the GT-R? the Supra shouldn't sell in large numbers, seeing one on the street should make you go "whoa!! it's a Supra!!" i don't want to see a lot of Supras being driven around, rarity and exclusivity creates demand and excitement.
The last Supra being a rare site on the streets and not selling in large numbers is why it was killed pretty quickly in the US, it was too expensive for most buyers and they did not sell many. Same exact thing will happen if they price it anywhere near 90K, they won't sell and they will quickly take it off the market.

The GTR is now a huge hp exotic killer costing as much as a S class, it was not like that in the 90's where it was not as expensive, performance more in line with the 300ZX turbo, and was not putting out 911 turbo/Ferrari numbers so expecting a new Supra to compete directly with a 100K specialty vehicle like the modern GTR with its bespoke 550hp engine, advanced awd system, etc is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 09-09-16, 02:35 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

One of the best indicators on what to anticipate from the new Supra is from an interview with Tetsuya Tada, the Chief Engineer of Toyota's sports division. Based on the little clues that he left, it's extremely unlikely that the highest trim version of the MKV Supra is going to be priced at $40k.

Here's an excerpt of the interview:

Nearly five years on from the debut of the 86 and Tada-san is ready to look at the future of the sports car for Toyota.

Traditionally polite, warm and with a cheeky sense of humour, Tada-san sat down with news.com.au over dinner in Tokyo to talk about what lies ahead for sports cars.

“Our sports car future at Toyota will revolve around three cars — 86 in the middle, S-FR down the bottom and one on top like the Supra,” he said.

The mention of the Supra immediately garnered excitement by all in the room, it’s a nameplate that Toyota has retired, but there had been word that the company is working on a replacement with BMW for some time now.

“If we do it, it must be something never seen before by Toyota,” he said.

“Hybrid technology is a key technology for us, but if we release a hybrid sports car in the market, it must be something new.

“It must be something that makes people say ‘wow!’”

“Like with 86, when we put small Prius tyres on it. Journalist’s complained when they saw it announced, but most were really surprised when they drove it. That’s the type of surprise we want.”

Toyota’s strong investment in hybrid technology, beginning with the very unsporty Prius will likely result in the tech evolving into high performance powertrains for the next Supra.

But it won’t be like Honda’s new NSX, Tada-san said. How that will differ from the Honda’s use of an electric motor to compliment its turbocharged six-cylinder engine, he wouldn’t say, but he promised it will be something completely unseen before.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...54971cc633c466
Old 09-09-16, 02:40 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

If there is a base turbo 4 I can see it being around $40K. With a six cylinder and / or with electric motors, the Supra will likely be $60-70K. Regardless the Supra will likely be playing with Corvette money.
Old 09-09-16, 04:51 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Decamoing the Supra Prototype

http://www.supramkv.com/threads/deca...prototype.362/

Last edited by gymratter; 09-25-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 05:16 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

That looks a bit like the old MKIV Supra Concept.

Old 09-09-16, 05:21 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

^I heard the same comments from other forums as well.

I'm thinking it will be an I6. The hood appears to be pretty long. Compare to FT-HS which designers envision to be a V6 hybrid.

Old 09-09-16, 05:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

If it's not a Toyota Inline 6 - I'm not interested!

If I want a BMW engine, just get the M4 or Z5 version also I'm not a fan of turbo V6s.

OTOH if this new Supra is priced between $55-70k with a Toyota TT Inline 6, I will sell my BRZ and put a deposit down immediately.
Old 09-09-16, 06:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
If it's not a Toyota Inline 6 - I'm not interested!

If I want a BMW engine, just get the M4 or Z5 version also I'm not a fan of turbo V6s.

OTOH if this new Supra is priced between $55-70k with a Toyota TT Inline 6, I will sell my BRZ and put a deposit down immediately.
BMW never made a turbo V6, or even NA V6 to the best of my knowledge. All of their 6 cylinder engines are inline.
Old 09-10-16, 08:47 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
BMW never made a turbo V6, or even NA V6 to the best of my knowledge. All of their 6 cylinder engines are inline.
Yes i know that hence why I drive BMWs because I love the inline6s and hate V6s.
But I dont want a BMW engine in a new Supra!
Old 09-10-16, 10:57 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 175 Posts

yea i don't want anything called a Supra to not have an inline-6 and not be a complete toyota only effort. if they're going to collaborate with anyone let it be yamaha (like they have successfully done many times already) i don't want bmw to be involved with this, at least not if they're going to call it a Supra.
Old 09-12-16, 02:28 AM
AshyBone
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
As a previous FR-S owner I never once had an issue, other than the brake lights constantly having condensation.
Also as a previous FR-S owner, I can confirm this statement. Only Issue I've ever had in my 3 years of ownership were the condensation in the taillights. And that car saw numerous track days, drift events, street races, and highway pulls.... I miss you little buddy :'(

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1