Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 80 82.47%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 17 17.53%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota FT-1 Concept

Old 12-30-13, 07:37 PM   #61
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)

as i keep harping, this is likely nothing to do with Supra at all.

Quote:
According to some internal sources, the first vehicle to be produced is expected to be a high-performance hybrid model similar to the LF-LC concept and is expected to cost more than $300,000.
http://www.inautonews.com/toyota-bmw...m#.UsI7O_RDv1w
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 12-31-13, 02:22 AM   #62
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF350 View Post
I recalled the ft86 project team started some where around mid 2008. 2009 was first concept car then It took them a while to incorporate w/ Subaru flat-4 boxer to achieve low COG. Finally it hit the US dealer in mid 2012. So it was near 4 years for the 86 project car to hit the US consumer. I hope the Supra can hit the showroom sooner by spring 2015.
Yes, you are correct. The plans for the 86/FRS/BRZ were announced back in 2008 with a concept appearing in 2009. We also have to keep in mind that its been almost a year since Toyota and BMW singed an agreement for a midsize coupe. I remember Tada San saying at least 5 years for both a new "Supra" and sub 86 car. My guess would be at least 2016. But of course the sooner the better.
Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 02:31 AM   #63
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwolf View Post

Lexus has already said the LF-LC will be built on a new platform that will also be used with the next gen LS. Go and look in the LF-LC thread. LS and LC, come on now.
Old 12-31-13, 08:12 AM   #64
gymratter
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
wouldn't it be awesome if toyota bought bmw?

anyway, very exciting news about these vehicles.
Oh yeah, finally a BMW with less electrical issues lol
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 08:22 AM   #65
gymratter
Pole Position

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Lexus has already said cars like the LFA wil only happen every 20yrs or so.

Also there are tons of articles saying that the new midsize BMW & Toyota will be a new Supra for Toyota at least.

Point is, for every article you find saying it will be a $300k super car there will be the same amount of articles saying it will be a new Supra.

But we should know for sure in two weeks at Detriot.
Old 12-31-13, 08:52 AM   #66
spwolf
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26 View Post
Lexus has already said the LF-LC will be built on a new platform that will also be used with the next gen LS. Go and look in the LF-LC thread. LS and LC, come on now.
Lexus certainly never said that LF-LC will be ever built at all, so I am not sure how could they said it would be built on new platform. Latest article says they could use shortened LS platform which also doesn't seem like a great deal for halo sports coupe, does it?

I cant belive people think they would build a Supra with BMW, it makes no sense at all, whatsoever. It is laughable idea that doesnt bring anything to any of these companies.

I guess all these fake rumors from australian and uk so called "journalists" dont help.
Old 12-31-13, 09:03 AM   #67
gymratter
Pole Position

Quote:
Lexus certainly never said that LF-LC will be ever built at all, so I am not sure how could they said it would be built on new platform. Latest article says they could use shortened LS platform which also doesn't seem like a great deal for halo sports coupe, does it?

I cant belive people think they would build a Supra with BMW, it makes no sense at all, whatsoever. It is laughable idea that doesnt bring anything to any of these companies.

I guess all these fake rumors from australian and uk so called "journalists" dont help.
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/03/2...or-production/

Also if the LF-LC were to be the BMW and Toyota sports car what would BMW get out of it? they already have an i8 which is a 2+2 hybrid just like the LF-LC.

So that doesnt make any sense.
Old 12-31-13, 09:41 AM   #68
gymratter
Pole Position

sorry to keep ranting on. but this is the timeline
  • mid 2012 Toyota says it wants a larger sports car to sit on top of the 86/FRS
  • early 2013 Toyota and BMW sign agreement on a joint midsize coupe and will result in the end of 2013.
  • detroit auto show is just 2 weeks away now.

work on the LF-LC really began in like 2010. that was way before any talks with BMW started.

I think it makes perfect sense, especial if Toyota wants to use BMW's I6 for a MK5 Supra.

I would have agreed with those that say Toyota would use a Toyota platform for a new Supra, but that would have to happen way back in 2007 with the FT-HS concept. GS/IS platform with the V6 hybrid and maybe a V6 turbo. yes that would have make prefect sense. but as we all know the project was shelved because of the weak economy.

forward 6-7 years later the Toyota "S" platform is aging and so i think it would make sense for Toyota to want to use something new for their Supra.

as i stated before BMW already has the i8. and they have hinted at a M8 (i8 with a V10). so BMW is not in need of a supercar.

what is BMW missing? how about a smaller i sports car / hybrid Supra. or a larger rumored Z5 / Supra (go after C7).
Old 12-31-13, 11:12 AM   #69
madfast
Driver

BMW partially owns SGL Carbon. Toyota wants in. Toyota owns key patents on hybrid tech. BMW wants in. i fully expect a carbon bodied hybrid from this. anything else hardly makes sense.

if i were to guess, i'd say a bmw i6 makes sense. for toyota, i dont expect a supra, but instead a prius sports car! imo its not that crazy an idea...

Click the image to open in full size.

also by having this joint venture under the i brand it doesnt "bring down" the rest of the bmw lineup. and for toyota, it only bolsters the prius name
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 11:28 AM   #70
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

There were M8 rumors before too…

We are talking 2 potentially full of awesome cars coming. Very exciting.
Old 12-31-13, 11:59 AM   #71
gymratter
Pole Position

from what been reading BMW's new/rumored M8 will basically be the i8 but with either a V8 or V10.
Old 12-31-13, 01:15 PM   #72
madfast
Driver

the M8 and/or M1 successor is to the bmw fanboys what the supra/supra successor is to toyota fanboys. both are absolute vaporware until the official announcement is made. what are the chances both companies would produce a halo car from this joint venture? imo, not likely at all...
madfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-13, 01:37 PM   #73
gymratter
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
the M8 and/or M1 successor is to the bmw fanboys what the supra/supra successor is to toyota fanboys. both are absolute vaporware until the official announcement is made. what are the chances both companies would produce a halo car from this joint venture? imo, not likely at all...
the i8 was clearly influenced by the M1 hommage concept. thats why i said a new M8 and/or M1 successor would be based on the i8. i dont think it would be that hard to stick in a V8 or a V10 in the i8 and slap on the M nameplate. this would have nothing to do with the Toyota BMW project at all.

and you dont have to be a Supra fanboy to want Toyota to make a MK5. im sure any Toyota enthusiast would love to see a new Supra or something above the 86/FRS

Old 12-31-13, 01:46 PM   #74
gymratter
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
BMW partially owns SGL Carbon. Toyota wants in. Toyota owns key patents on hybrid tech. BMW wants in. i fully expect a carbon bodied hybrid from this. anything else hardly makes sense.

if i were to guess, i'd say a bmw i6 makes sense. for toyota, i dont expect a supra, but instead a prius sports car! imo its not that crazy an idea...

also by having this joint venture under the i brand it doesnt "bring down" the rest of the bmw lineup. and for toyota, it only bolsters the prius name
i agreed where u said some kind of smaller i sports car for bmw.

i dont think anyone here would want a prius sports car

something even like the FT-HS would seem more possible than that. but even than i have heard a Toyota official describing that concept car as a Prius on steroids. so who knows...

Old 01-01-14, 07:30 PM   #75
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

We are only like 11 or 10 days away from Detroit. Lets just wait until than to fight it out. The BWM and Toyota sports car can be a $300k supercar, or midsize hybrid sports car, or a two seater C7 fighter, or a rear/mid-engine Lexus like the NSX and R8. We don't really know for sure, so lets just wait and see.
Old 01-01-14, 07:30 PM

Tags
concept, forums, ft, ft1, future, gran, gran turismo, mirai, price, sports, supra, supre, toyota, tube, turismo, vision