Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 81 82.65%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 17 17.35%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota FT-1 Concept

Old 12-15-13, 08:18 AM   #46
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madfast View Post
kinda looks like this

the media, again, is using the s word in every article about a toyota coupe. the swan neck wing gives away that its probably a GT race car and not necessarily a road car.
Well both Tada-San and CEO Akio Toyoda has been throwing around the S word lately. Also Toyota has filed trademark for the Supra nameplate. So it makes sense that the media would go with it. I'm pretty sure it is also a GT race car for GT6. But is likely also a preview of whats to come at Detroit.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Vh_Supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 01:44 PM   #47
cino
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26 View Post
Thats fine, every thread pretty much goes off topic at some point.

I don't think anyone is saying the new NSX is rip off of the FT-HS. But instead it appears to have some of the same styling clues. Which is fine, because a lot of cars borrow styling clues from other cars.
Exactly. Like I said before, proportions are totally different. FT-HS will have a none- exotic looking. It may have a serious sportcar looking, but not exotic looking. FR layout really makes FT-HS looks nothing like a supercar. Unless in the production design, they decided to go with longer hood and small cockpit like those in LFA "just enough to be in the same group" , SLS, Corvette, and Viper, previous Supra.

Edit: Looking at the old Supra, it has similar proportion to those GT-supercars. The Silhouette shows the car with a long hood, hope they keep it that way.

Last edited by cino; 12-15-13 at 01:52 PM..
cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 05:30 PM   #48
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

^Ok, I never disagreed with that.

Back on topic with the Toyota concept now
Old 12-15-13, 05:49 PM   #49
cino
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26 View Post
^Ok, I never disagreed with that.

Back on topic with the Toyota concept now
I thought I already stick to describing the Supra, Toyota Concept Silhouette, and FT-HS.
cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-13, 06:22 PM   #50
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cino View Post
I thought I already stick to describing the Supra, Toyota Concept Silhouette, and FT-HS.
I was really trying to directed at everyone, not you
Old 12-15-13, 07:18 PM   #51
UDel
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexFather View Post
The 2007 Toyota concept sure has some things the 2016 NSX shares and the NSX rips the LFA interior. Not to mention Lexus and Toyota lead with hybrid tech which Honda is now going after (real hybrids not an IMA assist)

Me thinks you should stop with the insults and accept reality
Again, don't see how you see the FT-HS influencing the NSX or being similar(aside from 2 doors, 4 wheels, etc). The only other thing they both have that is rare for other cars is a flying buttress which have different a styles/location on each car. You posted a picture that had them shot in the same position at the same angle which is where most of that similarity is coming from, you can do that with a lot of cars. The cars still have very different profiles and looks. Maybe you are seeing some angular design cues from both cars, thing is Acura has been doing more angular design for its sedans and SUV's since 99 with the original MDX, TL's, TSX, ZDX, original RDX, last 2 V10 ASC sports car concepts had very angular designs where Lexus and Toyota have always had softer more rounded designs up until the current IS, CT, GS, RX, Camry, RAV4, Corolla, went with a more angular design, so who is inspiring who?

The interior is a little similar with the high central tunnel to the LFA but if you compare them side by side they are still pretty different, maybe since Lexus has a available red interior and Acura put a red one in the concept that is where some have seen the similarities, the NSX most likely needs the high central tunnel for the hybrid hardware and that interior was just one design study, they said they are going to have a more radical and different interior in the next NSX show car.

Toyota did lead with hybrid tech, the Prius is a huge success though that has more to do with its eco image and marketing then the actual car being that great of a driver. Still I give credit to Toyota for having such a successful hybrid/Prius, it was the right direction. Honda's less expensive, less advanced IMA path was not the right direction, the market clearly chose the Prius over the Insight. Right now though I don't see Toyota leading with Hybrid tech, Honda's new hybrid systems in the new Accord hybrid and RLX 3 motor hybrid(and upcoming NSX) are more advanced, shift better, have less negative "hybrid" characteristics, that does not mean they will sell as well as Toyota hybrids but they are more advanced, I am sure Toyota will be making improvements soon too though.
Old 12-16-13, 10:35 AM   #52
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

Anyways, I'm not much of a gamer. But according to this site if you have Gran Turismo 6 you can download the Toyota concept and see what it looks like.

Quote:
Toyota Supra Concept in Gran Turismo 6

Many car makers have come up with intriguing new concepts designed specifically for the Gran Turismo 6 video game’s “Vision Gran Turismo” program. Toyota decided it is a good opportunity to spread rumors and speculations, and therefor build hype, for a new sports car concept.

They cut right to the chase and drop Supra’s name in the official release announcing the inclusion of a new Toyota sports car concept in Gran Turismo 6 along with a TRD 86 Racing version of the GT86. But they are also being cunning, saying that “any talk of Toyota and new sports cars always leads to speculation on the introduction of a spiritual successor to the Supra. We never comment on speculation but it’s clear that there are familiar proportions in the shape of the silhouette…”

The teaser does certainly resemble a Toyota Supra. And if you own the Gran Turismo 6 you can download the car for free now and check out it in more details. But even if Toyota is working on a new Supra – as the rumors suggest – it is not likely to be released any time soon. They have the GT86 and its variants, and a new sports car being developed jointly with BMW.

So for the time being just go and enjoy the new Toyota Supra in the video game.
http://www.motorward.com/2013/12/toy...ran-turismo-6/
Old 12-16-13, 01:05 PM   #53
gymratter
Pole Position

Toyota UK is saying "Available as free downloadable content early in 2014". looks like they are going to make us wait until Detroit :/

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/first-glimp...ts-car-concept
gymratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 05:46 PM   #54
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

Hey everyone, here is your chance to tell Toyota what you would like a new "Supra" to be. Click on the link below and have your say.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/first-glimp...ts-car-concept

Below are some common questions and comments that I have heard across all the forums.

What should it be?
The joint Toyota/BMW midsize coupe.
Underpin the upcoming Lexus RC/RC-F.
Stretched 86/FR-S platform with more power.

What should the drivetrain be?
4 Cycle turbo
4 Cycle hybrid
V6 hybrid
V6 turbo
V8 (2UR-GSE)

What should it go after?
NSX hybrid and hybrid GT-R.
Next Z35 or C7 Corvette.

How about the price range?
$30k-$40k
$50k-$60k
$70k+
Old 12-30-13, 10:33 AM   #55
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

Default Toyota, BMW Sports Car Platform Agreed on: Report

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
The much-hyped BMW and Toyota sports car collaboration is moving closer to being a reality according to a new report.

In June, 2012, the companies announced an agreement to collaborate on lithium-air batteries and lightweight vehicle technology. At the time, the brand spoke of possible plans to work together in building the platform for a mid-sized sports car. Now a report from Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung is quoting BMW development chief Herbert Diess saying the brands “have agreed on a joint architecture for a sports car,” adding that they will be two different vehicles authentic to their respective brands.

Many have speculated that for Toyota, the project will birth a spiritual successor to the Supra (above). Production of the Japanese rear-wheel drive sports car ended in 2002. Toyota introduced the FR-S under its Scion brand for North America last year, but the Subaru-Toyota lovechild leaves space for a larger, more powerful and more expensive performance product.

Diess declined to provide details on the models that will be built as a result of the project.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ed-report.html
Old 12-30-13, 10:43 AM   #56
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

wouldn't it be awesome if toyota bought bmw?

anyway, very exciting news about these vehicles.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 12:54 PM   #57
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
wouldn't it be awesome if toyota bought bmw?

anyway, very exciting news about these vehicles.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing
Old 12-30-13, 01:06 PM   #58
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Probably at least 2 years away I assume… the FRS thread was what 5 years old by the time it hit the market…..

Exciting possibilites...
Old 12-30-13, 06:51 PM   #59
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Champion

At least 2 years sounds right.

The FT-86 concept was shown at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show. The production version was than shown two years later at the 2011 Tokyo Motor Show.
Old 12-30-13, 07:31 PM   #60
ISF350
Pole Position

I recalled the ft86 project team started some where around mid 2008. 2009 was first concept car then It took them a while to incorporate w/ Subaru flat-4 boxer to achieve low COG. Finally it hit the US dealer in mid 2012. So it was near 4 years for the 86 project car to hit the US consumer. I hope the Supra can hit the showroom sooner by spring 2015.
ISF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 07:31 PM

Tags
concept, forums, ft, ft1, future, gran, gran turismo, mirai, price, sports, supra, supre, toyota, tube, turismo, vision