Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-14, 03:37 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I heard a rumor that they will build a spaceship to go to Mars together.

Will you ever stop with rumors that make no sense? You kept going on Supra being based on BMW for quite a while. It is getting annoying to get thread derailed on unsubstantiated rumors and personal wishes. Think about what makes sense and post that.
You just make stuff you without providing links and sources.

I have posted sources to go along with everything.

Who am I going to believe? You or two two officials...

You keep runnning your mouth about how the new "Supra" would be a larger FR-S. Obviously that turned out to be false.
Old 01-18-14, 03:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Just because I thought this was funny

I heard a rumor that they will build a spaceship to go to Mars together.

Will you ever stop with rumors that make no sense? You kept going on Supra being based on BMW for quite a while. It is getting annoying to get thread derailed on unsubstantiated rumors and personal wishes. Think about what makes sense and post that.
It's also got an AMG V8 with EcoBoost technology and just wait until V-Tec kicks in
Old 01-18-14, 03:49 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

of course they will offer the sports car in 35k-40k... because competition does, and it will take their sales. Nobody exists in a vacuum.

Supra that sells only at $60k level would be a special order car that sells 100 units per month world wide.

If they build Supra, it will start at $35k range thats for sure. And it will start with 2.0t engine.
Really? That is not the case. The MK4 cost would cost more than $60k in todays money and they sold A LOT more than "100 units per month world wide"

As stated before, the 2015 FR-S facelift is getting both a power boost and price increase.

Than we have the 2nd gen 86/FR-S which Tada-San has confirmed will be a different car all together.

Could it be the 2nd gen 86/FR-S will be in the $30k range and go after cars like the Z? I think so.

They will have the sub 86 car to fill in the spot for fun and affordable.
Old 01-18-14, 04:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
You just make stuff you without providing links and sources.

I have posted sources to go along with everything.

Who am I going to believe? You or two two officials...

You keep runnning your mouth about how the new "Supra" would be a larger FR-S. Obviously that turned out to be false.
i have no idea what you are talking about... who said anything about larger FR-S? And two officials what?
Old 01-18-14, 04:16 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

i have no idea what you are talking about... who said anything about larger FR-S? And two officials what?
My bad, but two Toyota officials have already stated if it were to go into production the price range will be $50k-$60k.

Its been posted like 10x already in the thread.

Even you yourself have said this car looks expensive.

looks expensive... like really expensive. then again, Supra was really expensive back in the day.
Old 01-18-14, 04:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Really? That is not the case. The MK4 cost would cost more than $60k in todays money and they sold A LOT more than "100 units per month world wide"

As stated before, the 2015 FR-S facelift is getting both a power boost and price increase.

Than we have the 2nd gen 86/FR-S which Tada-San has confirmed will be a different car all together.

Could it be the 2nd gen 86/FR-S will be in the $30k range and go after cars like the Z? I think so.

They will have the sub 86 car to fill in the spot for fun and affordable.
Well let me point this out:
a. Supra was discontinued due to poor sales. Turbo sold 8000 over 5 years, at the end it was heavily discounted just to move it.

b. We dont have ANYTHING about 2nd gen 86 and everything you wrote about 2nd gen 86 is, once again, unsubstantiated rumor. Why would 2nd gen be more expensive and go after Z? They dont like sales, they want to sell less cars? Is that it or?

Every single thing you post is a rumor, most of which have no sense. Just because some blog writes something somewhere, that does not mean it is true or even a rumor. Valid rumor is when some reliable source writes something.

We had same conversation month ago when you were writing around how new Supra will be BMW project and you told me to just wait and see, because there were all these rumors.

I suggest you start rumor thread about rumors and not derail threads like this one.
Old 01-18-14, 04:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

My bad, but two Toyota officials have already stated if it were to go into production the price range will be $50k-$60k.

Its been posted like 10x already in the thread.

Even you yourself have said this car looks expensive.
Of course it looks expensive, it looks like $100k car... What designer said is that they wanted to design something that can be sold for $50k-$60k.

That does not mean that there will not be a $35k model.

There is a RC-F, which is a $70k car and there is RC200t/300h/350 which are $45k cars. Probably even less when 200t comes in.

Without RC350, there would be no RC-F... Lexus plans to sell 200 RC-Fs per month and 1200 RC350's. Worldwide, ratio will be even bigger toward normal RC due to taxes.

Why in the world would you think that Toyota would not have $35k model? Toyota can not sell many $60k cars... world wide, price would be over $100k. Not many people would buy it. With $35k model, there is a chance of decent sales world wide.

It is all just a bit of common sense.
Old 01-18-14, 04:28 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Well let me point this out:
a. Supra was discontinued due to poor sales. Turbo sold 8000 over 5 years, at the end it was heavily discounted just to move it.

b. We dont have ANYTHING about 2nd gen 86 and everything you wrote about 2nd gen 86 is, once again, unsubstantiated rumor. Why would 2nd gen be more expensive and go after Z? They dont like sales, they want to sell less cars? Is that it or?

Every single thing you post is a rumor, most of which have no sense. Just because some blog writes something somewhere, that does not mean it is true or even a rumor. Valid rumor is when some reliable source writes something.

We had same conversation month ago when you were writing around how new Supra will be BMW project and you told me to just wait and see, because there were all these rumors.

I suggest you start rumor thread about rumors and not derail threads like this one.
The 90s was a different time you know it. It wasn't just the Supra that got killed off. 300ZX, RX-7 and 3000GT also got killed.

2nd gen 86/FR-S here you.

Tada confirmed to Drive he is already developing the concept for a successor, and hinted that it could be a radically different car, potentially dropping the boxer engine altogether
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...rleu.html#poll
Old 01-18-14, 04:29 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gymratter
how much power does that motor make? 250hp?

so you are telling us they will offer the same amount of power on the FR-S and on a much heavier base Supra?

doesn't make any sense to me.
i have no idea how much 2.0t makes... it could be 220hp. It could be 250/280/200.

I am certainly not telling you that it will make same power as FR-S, because FR-S has 200hp/151tq. It certainly does not have 250hp.

Why are you guys treating rumors as facts and truth?
Old 01-18-14, 04:33 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Of course it looks expensive, it looks like $100k car... What designer said is that they wanted to design something that can be sold for $50k-$60k.

That does not mean that there will not be a $35k model.

There is a RC-F, which is a $70k car and there is RC200t/300h/350 which are $45k cars. Probably even less when 200t comes in.

Without RC350, there would be no RC-F... Lexus plans to sell 200 RC-Fs per month and 1200 RC350's. Worldwide, ratio will be even bigger toward normal RC due to taxes.

Why in the world would you think that Toyota would not have $35k model? Toyota can not sell many $60k cars... world wide, price would be over $100k. Not many people would buy it. With $35k model, there is a chance of decent sales world wide.

It is all just a bit of common sense.
If that was the case why did he not state $35k-$60k????

Don't you think the hood is a little long for a 2.0t?

Nonetheless, the starting point for the FT-1 was a theoretical car with a real-world price tag between $50,000 and $60,000, said Kevin Hunter, president of the Calty Design Research studio in Newport Beach, Calif., where the car was designed.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...re-sports-car#
Old 01-18-14, 04:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The 90s was a different time you know it. It wasn't just the Supra that got killed off. 300ZX, RX-7 and 3000GT also got killed.

2nd gen 86/FR-S here you.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/t...rleu.html#poll
and thats exactly the unsubstantiated rumors I am talking about. According to certain AU and UK mags, Tada hinted of 86 becoming a spaceship. They all have at least 3-4 rumors about 86 and all of them are vastly different. One day is a hybrid, another day it is turbo 2.0, then it is NA 2.5l, but maybe turbo 2.5l...

And none of it is truth nor there is any quote from Tada confirm speculations from the mags. They just do it to sell magazines and it is common in AU and UK.

And then you treat this as a proof that 86 will cost $30k and fight off Z.

No, it will not. 86 is big success for them and they will not change the pricing radically. Reason they talk about smaller model is because even 86 is too expensive in many parts of the world. They need a smaller model that will sell in other countries.

Same way supra can not be $60k car... it can have a special version selling for that much, but that wont fly worldwide.

1994 Supra had 33k base version with 220hp.
Old 01-18-14, 04:37 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

i have no idea how much 2.0t makes... it could be 220hp. It could be 250/280/200.

I am certainly not telling you that it will make same power as FR-S, because FR-S has 200hp/151tq. It certainly does not have 250hp.

Why are you guys treating rumors as facts and truth?
Toyota has confirmed it is considering launching a more powerful variant of the Scion FR-S equipped with a larger engine.

"I hope to make an engine upgrade at least one time with this car," admitted FR-S chief engineer Tetsuya Tada in an interview with Australia's Drive magazine. "We have already tried all of the possibilities and there are several [FR-S] prototypes at the Toyota proving ground now: One is equipped with a turbocharger, one has a bigger displacement engine and the last one boasts a special hybrid system. All of the possibilities are being considered."

Tada declined to provide technical details, but rumors suggest the larger engine would take the form of a 2.5-liter flat-four that would generate about 254 horsepower, a 54-pony increase over the 2.0-liter flat-four currently found in the engine bay of the FR-S.
http://www.leftlanenews.com/scion-fr...-25-liter.html
Old 01-18-14, 04:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

and thats exactly the unsubstantiated rumors I am talking about. According to certain AU and UK mags, Tada hinted of 86 becoming a spaceship. They all have at least 3-4 rumors about 86 and all of them are vastly different. One day is a hybrid, another day it is turbo 2.0, then it is NA 2.5l, but maybe turbo 2.5l...

And none of it is truth nor there is any quote from Tada confirm speculations from the mags. They just do it to sell magazines and it is common in AU and UK.

And then you treat this as a proof that 86 will cost $30k and fight off Z.

No, it will not. 86 is big success for them and they will not change the pricing radically. Reason they talk about smaller model is because even 86 is too expensive in many parts of the world. They need a smaller model that will sell in other countries.

Same way supra can not be $60k car... it can have a special version selling for that much, but that wont fly worldwide.

1994 Supra had 33k base version with 220hp.
The base price for a Supra in 93 was 33,900.00. That would be $54,652.20 in todays money. And that is before you add an options.

Where did I say it was "poof". I said I think that could happen.

A German site was one of the 1st one to report that Akio told Tada-san to began work on a Supra successor

Speaking of the Z, Nissan has said the next Z will get smaller and may receive a 4 cycle turbo.

WIthout "rumors" there would not be any car news.

Have you brought a FR-S? The price out the door is close to $30k.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 01-18-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-18-14, 05:02 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

so they confirmed that they are considering?

in your head that means it is going to be $35k and fight off Z?

It will likely be optional faster version.

Now you are talking about OTD price... what does that have to do with anything? FRS is 25k vehicle.
Old 01-18-14, 05:07 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The base price for a Supra in 93 was 33,900.00. That would be $54,652.20 in todays money. And that is before you add an options.

Where did I say it was "poof". I said I think that could happen.

A German site was one of the 1st one to report that Akio told Tada-san to began work on a Supra successor

Speaking of the Z, Nissan has said the next Z will get smaller and may receive a 4 cycle turbo.

WIthout "rumors" there would not be any car news.

Have you brought a FR-S? The price out the door is close to $30k.
Sure, anything could happen.

BMW could buy Toyota and build BMW Supra after FCV explodes and Toyota stock goes down to $5.

What I am saying is that you are trying to make these unsubstantiated rumors as something thats realistic, and you make conjunctures that are not realistic... leave that out of official TF-1 thread... open up a rumor thread.

Month ago you wrote 20 posts on Supra being based on BMW and you "proved" it with your "sources", no matter how unrealistic that was... and you continue to do exactly same thing with Supra and now with FRS.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1