Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote!
84.31%
I don't know, but its time for a new name.
15.69%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Toyota Supra / FT-1

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-14, 02:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That engine is HUGE.
Old 01-13-14, 02:26 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
^They could just borrow BMW's I6.
I would love a turbo inline six like the last Supra but I don't want a BMW inline 6, they have way too many problems and don't handle high hp applications well. A major redesign would need to be done with the BMW inline 6 to get that engine to meet reliability expectations of Toyota buyers especially if it is going to be heavily tuned.
Old 01-13-14, 02:45 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Toyota FT-1 Should Be The Next Toyota Supra

This design from Toyota's California design studio is a 'halo' sports car for Toyota and it looks absolutely gorgeous. Will they build it? They did say "FT" stands for "Future Toyota" and no one is that cruel?

While this may be far from a production design, Toyota gave us a long run of teaser cars before we eventually got the Scion FR-S. I'd say it was worth the wait.

The Toyota FT-1 was developed in Toyota's CALTY design studio as an idea 'inspired' by CEO Akio Toyoda loves.

"The FT-1 is a dream-project for a designer and car enthusiast like myself," said Alex Shen, Calty's Studio Chief Designer. "Our team was heavily influenced by Toyota's sports car past, especially Celica and Supra, and we sought to capture some of that history. It is an aggressive, track-focused sports car concept with a presence that has been amplified for shock and awe."

Shen said the "Function Sculpting" design language is unlike anything Toyota makes right now. The pause was longish when asked if the FT-1 was going to influence future generations of Highlander in any way.

Sure, it looks a little derivative of other insane sports cars (yes, TVR comes to mind). But it's very un-Toyota and that's a good thing. They also acknowledge the 2000GT-ness of the glass area.The real news for the design is in the details, though. Toyota got the details right on the FT-1, from the lights and front treatment to the interior shape. It really looks like they tried. Again, a good thing.

All we know about the FT-1 is that it's designed as a front-engine, rear-drive sports car – unusual for Toyota, no hybrid for the concept. But if you'd like to drive it, you can download it in Gran Turismo 6 starting tomorrow.

Function Sculpting: Whatever it is, you're speaking our language. Now just make it.
http://jalopnik.com/the-toyota-ft-1-...pra-1500153174

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 09-25-16 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 03:33 PM
LexFather

Between the C7, RC F and this surprise everyone should have held off their releases lol..

I hope Toyota sees the immediate impact this concept has, everyone is talking about it.

Old 01-13-14, 03:38 PM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those who think that the front is hideous, do yourself a favor and watch the vid clips. Dynamic, it actually looks really good unlike the static image that could put Jerry Seinfeld in shame.

Hopefuly, Toyota will not decide that this car will canibalize the sales of RC-F. If produced, I hope Toyota will give us 2 options : RC -F motor and a hybridized version to compete with NSX. I really like that RCF engine's technology. I think the prospect of I6t is rather dim.
Old 01-13-14, 03:54 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Three things I wanna say:

1. The car looks great aside the beak imo.
2. This is NOT the BMW collab product, autoblog has the story.
3. Its also NOT the Toyota vision GT concept (confirmed on gran-turismo.com)
Old 01-13-14, 03:55 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

This car look more expensive than the RC-F itself. Even the LF-A look out dated compare to this.

Guess what ? LF-A was 450k car with Lexus and V10 engine.

I hear they are talking about Inline 6 probably Twin Turbo for the Top trim

That will put it in the GT-R range....120K
Old 01-13-14, 03:59 PM
fly2low
Driver

I m glad that the C7 Corvette is like a middle finger to the European makes. I hope that Toyota will grow some ***** back and also give a middle finger to them all by producing this.
Old 01-13-14, 04:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Neat profile on that FT-1. Reminds me of a Viper
Old 01-13-14, 05:09 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
Three things I wanna say:

1. The car looks great aside the beak imo.
2. This is NOT the BMW collab product, autoblog has the story.
3. Its also NOT the Toyota vision GT concept (confirmed on gran-turismo.com)
Where does it say its not the GT6 car? I couldn't find it.
Old 01-13-14, 05:23 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Where does it say its not the GT6 car? I couldn't find it.
Look under the news in the bmw m4 talk.
Old 01-13-14, 05:39 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
Look under the news in the bmw m4 talk.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_4488049.html

I didn't say that much. Could the other GT6 car just be a racing version of the FT-1?
Old 01-13-14, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

so... we have now more info from Automotive News. It is very... excellent.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...s-car-concept#

"We called this design 'Supra' in presentations. There was a big debate over the name. So it's 'FT-1' now," said Calty President Kevin Hunter. "We're not ignoring that we have a history. The name itself is a different matter."
That meant the concept would be 10 percent larger than what a real-world vehicle would be, Hunter said.
Calty's starting point was to design a sports car with a theoretical $50,000-$60,000 price tag, Hunter said.
The car's tail has a "trip edge" to emphasize downforce and to enable brake cooling. The front air intakes extend all the way to the rear diffuser for ground effects and aerodynamics, while the front intake vents relieve pressure in the front wheelhouse.
Toyota doesn't make an inline-six anymore. But other automakers — BMW, for instance — still do. Hunter dismisses such theorizing. The engine could be a V-6, V-8, hybrid or some other package.
Calty's stylists deliberately tried to make the interior into something achievable, even if some of the effects seem a bit far out, said William Chergosky, Calty interior chief designer.

With the instrument panel, head-up displays are all the rage, and Calty took the FT-1 to new level. Rather than beaming the information onto the windshield, a separate screen protrudes up from the steering column. All important information is right in the line of sight.
And even more at link:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...s-car-concept#
Old 01-13-14, 06:18 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Calty Design Research President Kevin Hunter introduces the Toyota FT-1 sports car concept at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Jan. 13, 2014. First devised by Calty in Sony PlayStation's Gran Turismo 6, the name FT-1 stands for "Future Toyota," and the number "1" represents the ultimate. According to its designers at Calty Design Research, the FT-1 Concept is the ultimate expression of a Toyota coupe design, building upon Toyota's rich sports coupe heritage dating back to the 2000GT, Celica, Supra, MR2 and most recently Scion FR-S. For more on the FT-1, visit http://www.toyota.com/concept-vehicles/
Old 01-13-14, 06:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the Automotive News article that spwolf linked to, they also thinly allude to the LF-LC being priced around $150,000. Interesting.

Quick Reply: Toyota Supra / FT-1