Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2017 Honda Ridgeline

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 06:46 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
......unless, of course, the compartment seals wear out and start to leak in the rain or car wash. Honda, though, generally has a reputation of quality hardware in their vehicles.
Weather stripping on the roof, door and windows are exposed to the same elements.
I forgot to mention the trunk in a car. This is a trunk in the bed.

It should last.

Last edited by chikoo; 01-13-16 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 06:51 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Truck for the metropolitan guy.
Old 01-13-16, 10:02 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honest, unpretentious and not chasing bling, I love it.
Old 01-13-16, 04:26 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
If I remember correctly, the Gen1 Ridgeline was advertised as being a Pilot with a bed. I have no doubt that this new Ridgeline and Pilot (and MDX) all share a common, basic platform, even if the Ridgeline has an integral ladder frame. Does this Gen2 model still have the integral frame, as the Gen1 model did?

Platform sharing means that they share many common components (usually the unseen, greasy bits); it does not necessarily mean that they share a common floorpan.

No problem with Honda selling such a "truck". Obviously, there are enough buyers out there who agree so that there is enough demand to make it economical for Honda to continue selling with a new model. I would not want to tow with the FWD model though, nor would I want to put too much stuff in the bed; I would not want to take too much weight off the front axle.

You want to avoid even weight distribution on all 4 tires?
Old 01-13-16, 04:40 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Looks much nicer than the previous version.

However, I'm still of the camp that thinks it's better to have more truck than you need than to have not enough truck.
Old 01-14-16, 08:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
However, I'm still of the camp that thinks it's better to have more truck than you need than to have not enough truck.
This is the buying mindset of all of America. I want to be ready for that 0.0000001% use case scenario. And we tend to buy by the pound, or in this case, how much truck for the buck.
Old 01-14-16, 09:34 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
This is the buying mindset of all of America. I want to be ready for that 0.0000001% use case scenario. And we tend to buy by the pound, or in this case, how much truck for the buck.
Well in the case of fuel economy, it makes sense to buy the bigger truck. Little known fact, but when the Ridgeline was on sale, a 4wd Chevy with the 5.3 V8 was actually more fuel efficient.
Old 01-14-16, 10:07 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
[/B]
You want to avoid even weight distribution on all 4 tires?
No, I want to MAINTAIN even weight distribution on all 4 tires. In a FWD truck I do not want to overload the rear axle and underload the front axle.
Old 01-14-16, 10:50 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

No, I want to MAINTAIN even weight distribution on all 4 tires. In a FWD truck I do not want to overload the rear axle and underload the front axle.
I'm certain this is taken under consideration when they set the independent tow and payload ratings for the two drivetrains. So as long as you're operating within those, you will be fine in terms of the load/driving traction.
Old 01-14-16, 11:53 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't think about it, but its opposite wisdom of putting weight in the bed of a RWD truck increases traction. With a heavier load you could potentially unload the front tires and have way less traction in the rain/snow or going up a slick boat ramp. Hopefully Honda engineers have accounted for this.
Old 01-14-16, 12:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Didn't think about it, but its opposite wisdom of putting weight in the bed of a RWD truck increases traction. With a heavier load you could potentially unload the front tires and have way less traction in the rain/snow or going up a slick boat ramp. Hopefully Honda engineers have accounted for this.
Oh no they absolutely forgot about this. Crap!
Old 01-14-16, 12:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If the engineers have rated even the FWD version for a certain payload or towing capacity, on the stock suspension, at any given tire pressure, you can be at least reasonably certain that they have tested that combination under almost all normal driving conditions.
Old 01-14-16, 12:20 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm certain this is taken under consideration when they set the independent tow and payload ratings for the two drivetrains. So as long as you're operating within those, you will be fine in terms of the load/driving traction.
That's why I asked about tow ratings. The numbers given for FWD and AWD models are par for the course.

That's why I mentioned it. If the average Joe buys this instead of a real truck (to save fuel, because it's a Honda...) then forgets it's FWD, loads up the bed at the Home Depot on a snowy day, only to lose traction on the way home...

A FWD pickup truck is fine, as long as you remember that it is a FWD pickup truck.
Old 01-14-16, 01:14 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

like this?

Old 01-14-16, 03:11 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

That's why I mentioned it. If the average Joe buys this instead of a real truck (to save fuel, because it's a Honda...) then forgets it's FWD, loads up the bed at the Home Depot on a snowy day, only to lose traction on the way home...

A FWD pickup truck is fine, as long as you remember that it is a FWD pickup truck.
Automakers can only do so much, you can't prevent stupidity. A RWD performance car is fine, until the idiot that drives it in the rain forgets is a RWD 500+ HP vehicle and loses control of it over a cliff. All these, what if what if what if scenarios could go on forever.

The Ridgeline is a well executed vehicle, it won't win over staunch Full size pickup or hard off road enthusiasts, nor is it meant to. It successfully performs its intended function.

Quick Reply: 2017 Honda Ridgeline