Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ten Reasons Why Your Next Lexus Should Have All-Wheel Drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-13, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
- Prompt acceleration in the rain. I live in a wet and hilly climate. I've owned many rear and front wheel drive cars. Go into downtown Seattle, and sit at a stop light on a steep up hill in the rain. The light turns green and in a 2WD car your tires will spin as you get started. Also, one of the turns out of my neighborhood requires a hard right hand turn onto a 50 mph highway. Try to pull out there too quickly, and again, you'll spin your tires.
True, you do get more wheelspin on a takeoff in a RWD, but to me thats part of the nature of a RWD car.

What I wish is that Lexus would have the AWD system on the RWD cars (the IS, GS & LS) go to 100% torque to the rear until wheelspin occurs. Then we get the best of both worlds. Ito be fair, its better than BMW or Mercedes which is 40/60.
Old 12-11-13, 06:48 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own Lexus GX and when I travel and rent some RWD/FWD cars I'm constantly getting amused just how much they lack in traction in rainy/snowy conditions. Before GX I had on-demand AWD vehicle (Toyota Venza) which is similar to Lexus RX AWD in that it's FWD most of the time and AWD when the wheel spin is detected. During winter, even with winter tires, the back was skidding left and right if I was trying to take a turn too fast because rear wheels receive no propulsion and don't help you going in the right direction instead being "dragged" by the front wheels. Compared to that GX drives like it's on rails. I was skeptical about full-time 4WD drive trains before but became a big believer since then. I will never trade couple more MPG for increased capability full-time gives you.

If you want a fun to drive vehicle then for sure get RWD. But anybody who claims that RWD >> AWD in the snow must be living in Florida.

Last edited by Quadro; 12-11-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 06:54 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadro
I own Lexus GX and when I travel and rent some RWD/FWD cars I'm constantly getting amused just how much they lack in traction in rainy/snowy conditions. Before GX I had on-demand AWD vehicle (Toyota Venza) which is similar to Lexus RX AWD in that it's FWD most of the time and AWD when the wheel spin is detected. During winter, even with winter tires, the back was skidding left and right if I was trying to take a turn too fast because real wheels receive no propulsion and don't help you going in the right direction instead being "dragged" by the front wheels. Compared to that GX drives like it's on rails. I was skeptical about full-time 4WD drive trains before but became a big believer since then. I will never trade couple more MPG for increased capability full-time gives you.

If you want a fun to drive vehicle then for sure get RWD. But anybody who claims that RWD >> AWD in the snow must be living in Florida.
Amen.

I used to have a 4Runner with full time 4WD. Amazing in the snow.
Old 12-11-13, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But anybody who claims that RWD >> AWD in the snow must be living in Florida.
I don't think anybody is saying that at all.
Old 12-11-13, 07:32 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I don't think anybody is saying that at all.
Perhaps there is something about Chicago winters I don't understand but last time I've heard there is some snow: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8276102-post7.html
Old 12-11-13, 08:19 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Yes, but don't forget that while stability control systems can simulate LSD effect by applying brakes to slipping wheels, they also severely cut throttle when slip occurs. That's not what you want for high performance driving.
This is not correct. ESC will cut throttle, e-LSD (EDL) will not. Same system operating in different conditions for a different purpose.
Old 12-11-13, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps there is something about Chicago winters I don't understand but last time I've heard there is some snow: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/8276102-post7.html
You need to reread the post. He did not say that RWD was better for traction in the snow than AWD. He said he didn't care and wanted a RWD car anyways.

If I lived in a climate where it was worthwhile to put winter tires on I wouldn't be concerned about RWD in the snow either. A RWD car with winter tires can be very capable in the snow, better than an AWD car on all seasons. My issue is it doesn't make sense to buy winter tires here, if anything they would reduce my traction on the many more days we have over 45 degrees and dry here. My issue here would be I would be caught in snow on all seasons if my GS were RWD and my only car. A situation that just isn't good.

In a cold snowy climate I would rate traction/safety as follows, from best to worst:

1. AWD (winter tires)
2. RWD (winter tires)
3. AWD (all seasons)
4. FWD (winter tires)
5. FWD (all seasons)
6. RWD (all seasons)

Why did I rate RWD with winter tires over FWD with winter tires? FWD presents some steering and control challenges in the winter. It helps you get going vs RWD, but having the only throttle wheels be the only way to control the car is not an idea arrangement in snow and ice. RWD separates the steering wheels from the throttle wheels which is a good arrangement provided you have adequate grip.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-11-13 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 08:55 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

You need to reread the post. He did not say that RWD was better for traction in the snow than AWD. He said he didn't care and wanted a RWD car anyways.
That's not the way I read it. He came to a thread which promotes AWD for confident driving and made a statement that "RWD >> AWD >> FWD". The fact that he didn't care and wanted RWD for a fun factor came out much later into the discussion which, by the way, I agreed with.

P.S. And your rating is wrong for on-demand AWD vehicles which are FWD most of the time. That was the whole point - you can't simply stack AWD somewhere without specifying which exact implementation you're talking about.

Last edited by Quadro; 12-11-13 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-11-13, 08:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That's not the way I read it. He came to a thread which promotes AWD for confident driving and made a statement that "RWD >> AWD >> FWD". The fact that he didn't care and wanted RWD for a fun factor came out much later into the discussion which, by the way, I agreed with.
But he didn't mention snow. You're assuming he was talking about snow because he lives in Chicago. You're the one who interjected snow into his post.
Old 12-11-13, 09:11 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

But he didn't mention snow. You're assuming he was talking about snow because he lives in Chicago. You're the one who interjected snow into his post.
Full-time AWD gets better traction on any surface compared to RWD.
Old 12-11-13, 09:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, who cares? If all I cared about was traction I'd be driving some lumbering SUV all day. I want a car thats fun to drive...and a RWD car is more fun to drive than an AWD car I agree. If I lived where he did I'd drive a RWD car in the winter and snow on winter tires without concern too. Lexus doesn't give us that choice though.

P.S. And your rating is wrong for on-demand AWD vehicles which are FWD most of the time. That was the whole point - you can't simply stack AWD somewhere without specifying which exact implementation you're talking about.
I'm not talking about SUVs. I'm talking about sedans, which really is the subject of the blog post. SUVs have their own benefits in the snow separate from the type of drivetrain (namely ground clearance).

When you're talking about on demand style AWD systems you are right, you have different systems. For general snow driving though, any type of AWD system is going to be better than FWD or RWD assuming the type of tire used is the same. Certainly more sophisticated AWD systems will be better than less sophisticated systems. But, I stand by my rankings.
Old 12-11-13, 09:41 PM
Quadro
Lead Lap

LOL, who cares? If all I cared about was traction I'd be driving some lumbering SUV all day. I want a car thats fun to drive...and a RWD car is more fun to drive than an AWD car I agree.
Plenty of people buy full-time AWD sedans for improved traction they provide. Also fun is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find it more fun that they can take turns faster in the AWD car. Friend of mine bought AWD Infiniti sedan for this very reason because for him having more traction means more fun.

At any rate fun is subjective while improved road traction provided by full-time AWD systems is an objective measure which I think what this thread is about, not which system is more fun to drive according to some subjective opinion.
Old 12-11-13, 10:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Plenty of people buy full-time AWD sedans for improved traction they provide. Also fun is in the eye of the beholder. Some people find it more fun that they can take turns faster in the AWD car. Friend of mine bought AWD Infiniti sedan for this very reason because for him having more traction means more fun.
Sure they do. He however made his choice and has his own priorities. Who are you or anyone else to tell him he's wrong?

As for taking turns faster, that depends on the AWD system. Lexus' AWD system is designed for traction assistance from a stop, it doesn't improve handling.

At any rate fun is subjective while improved road traction provided by full-time AWD systems is an objective measure which I think what this thread is about, not which system is more fun to drive according to some subjective opinion.
Actually I think this thread is about "Why your next Lexus should have all wheel drive". Maybe I and others feel our next Lexus should not?
Old 12-12-13, 05:13 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Sure they do. He however made his choice and has his own priorities. Who are you or anyone else to tell him he's wrong?
Because he is wrong from the objective point of traction. It was not clear (at least to me) that he was expressing his opinion which is based on which system he finds more fun to drive. Unless you missed, I never told him that his opinion which one is more fun to drive was wrong.

Besides who are you to tell me what I can and can not discuss?

As for taking turns faster, that depends on the AWD system. Lexus' AWD system is designed for traction assistance from a stop, it doesn't improve handling.
I've been pointing that AWD systems are different all thread long. Do you actually have something useful to say? I guess the first step is to at least specify which Lexus model are you talking about? The AWD implementation is different among different Lexus models.

Actually I think this thread is about "Why your next Lexus should have all wheel drive". Maybe I and others feel our next Lexus should not?
I'm not interested in discussing your feeling or opinions because I see no point. Maybe other people in this thread do and will continue the conversation with you. I'm interested in discussing objective topic of traction when it comes to RWD/FWD/AWD system. Unless you're interested in discussing objective traction then I suggest we stop this conversation

Last edited by Quadro; 12-12-13 at 06:18 AM.
Old 12-12-13, 06:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is a very, very generic statement, that is often wrong.

Quick Reply: Ten Reasons Why Your Next Lexus Should Have All-Wheel Drive