Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bmw m3 & m4 reveal

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-15, 05:55 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Bro u must REALLY hate BMW to make posts like this.

Out of thousands of M3/4s on the road, this happened twice.
Car is very low - drive carefully......can happen to any car.
Twice that we know of, not every owner is on forum much less bimmer post. Even some posts there are anecdotally saying its happened to others that arent on the forum (post 144 and 147). A simple road hazard should not be causing total engine replacements. They need to change that plastic shield covering the cooler to a metal one to protect a critical system.

Ive hit stuff on the road before, a metal pipe that cracked a wheel on my 06 IS. Kind of hard to see a pipe in the middle of the road at 630 in the morning when it was dark, rainy, poorly lit even with careful driving. Even if I did see it swerving in this condition isnt the best idea with people around. Crap happens, but simple road debris should not result in total engine replacements.
Old 02-24-15, 11:09 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

No car is perfect but u made a point to post this issue for the sole purpose of putting a negative spin on the M4.

An issue that is not even an issue except to 1 or 2 owners that probably were partially responsible for the damage or just plain bad luck.
These cars are sold all over the world and driven on roads much worse than in US- if it was a major problem, we would of heard of it.
Old 02-24-15, 11:15 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil cooker problem is not privy to the m3. My cls63 was dropped, as I was leaving my friends driveway I ripped it off my self..

Its all about **** luck, environment, etc...
Old 02-24-15, 05:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
oil cooler is placed in an excellent spot. Guy hits something on the road, oil cooler ruptures, and engine is destroyed from oil starvation. $25k for new engine, $15k labor
Wow seriously that is the location of the stock oil cooler?
Old 02-24-15, 05:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

oil cooler is placed in an excellent spot. Guy hits something on the road, oil cooler ruptures, and engine is destroyed from oil starvation. $25k for new engine, $15k labor
So who is paying for this $40k parts and labor?

Not BMW warranty as the owner broke it, so it must be the owner's car insurance then. Which would be the owner's fault, so a $40k claim on your own insurance?
Old 02-24-15, 05:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

I would think insurance, no different if I crashed into a pole and killed the engine (somehow)
Old 02-24-15, 06:06 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I would think insurance, no different if I crashed into a pole and killed the engine (somehow)
Yeah I think you are right.

Wow, is just hard to picture how hitting a rock or a curb would kill the engine and claim $40k on your own insurance.

Thank god I don't dig these cars

As nice as they drive, their hassles and craps are not worth it.
Old 02-24-15, 06:55 PM
MK4Sup_isF
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

Wow, is just hard to picture how hitting a rock or a curb would kill the engine and claim $40k on your own insurance.

Insurance companies aren't going to put up with this if more and more claims like this are coming in. There has to be a better solution to mount this cooler. I maybe a Toyota/Lexus fan but I would call them out too if they too locate the cooler in vulnerable places like this. As I stated above, twice in 30+k miles with my IS F and I have ran over two unavoidable objects that was just high enough to rip out my bottom plastic and any thing that was right above it. A cooler in that location like the M would have been taken out, so would my motor too probably. All happened on the freeway and would take a while for me to safely pull over to the shoulder. No more oil in the motor by then.
Old 02-24-15, 09:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34

lol make sure you don't own any exotics
Old 02-25-15, 12:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol make sure you don't own any exotics
When I say "these cars", I just meant cars that are just slightly hot, M4, M6, R8, S63............are not worth their huge lame hassles. I didn't mean all hot cars.

It depends on the hotness level, when you get to the exotic level, 458, Aventador, 675LT, 911 Turbo, SLS Black, they are so hot that even if they are broken down sitting in the garage, they are so cool to look at. They are worth it.

Is like the normal girl next door that are not ugly but think she is all that and is a total drama queen princess biotch, that aren't worth it. But girl that are truely hot, is worth it

M4 is a girl next door that aren't hot but think she is all that and is a total drama queen princess.

Last edited by BNR34; 02-25-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 12:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MK4Sup_isF
Insurance companies aren't going to put up with this if more and more claims like this are coming in. There has to be a better solution to mount this cooler. I maybe a Toyota/Lexus fan but I would call them out too if they too locate the cooler in vulnerable places like this. As I stated above, twice in 30+k miles with my IS F and I have ran over two unavoidable objects that was just high enough to rip out my bottom plastic and any thing that was right above it. A cooler in that location like the M would have been taken out, so would my motor too probably. All happened on the freeway and would take a while for me to safely pull over to the shoulder. No more oil in the motor by then.
Is not like the insurance companies can make BMW move the cooler.

This would just make these M4 and M6 have a really high insurance premium rating if they are spending a huge amount on claim replacing motors. 5 years from now, it would cost more to insure a M4 then a Ferrari.
Old 03-03-15, 12:34 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2015 BMW M4 Coupe MotoGP safety car brings its water injection system to Geneva

Click here to view more photos

System will be soon be implemented in a production model

Following last month's online debut, BMW is showcasing these days in Geneva the 2015 M4 Coupe MotoGP safety car.

The highlight of BMW's latest safety car for MotoGP is a newly developed water injection system which they say will soon be implemented in a production car. This new hardware is capable of injecting a fine spray of water in the collector to enable a more efficient combustion process while lowering the tendency of the engine to knock and lowering the combustion temperature.

It also improves performance and torque since the cool air has an increased density which boosts the oxygen content within the combustion chamber while the lower thermal strain prolongs the life of the components. BMW says the water used is stored in a five-liter frost-proof tank placed in the trunk where the water pump, sensors and valves have also been installed.

The company's M division recommends a full refill of the water tank whenever planning "rigorous action out on the racetrack." In normal driving conditions, the water tank doesn't have to be refilled that often as the Bavarian marque estimates it will require a refill once every five stops for gas refueling.

Chances are the system will debut in the BMW M4 GTS (name not confirmed) scheduled to come out sometime next year with a lower weight and possibly laser headlights & OLED taillights. In addition, a sportier suspension and more power are reportedly planned but nothing is official at this point.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11503038...ings-its-water
Old 03-05-15, 01:29 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Schnitzer Shows Off Racing Aero Pack for BMW M4 in Geneva

Click here to view more photos

If you've already checked out this ACS4 Sport BMW M4 over at AC Schnitzer's Geneva stand and thought it was identical to one they brought to last years' Essen Motor Show, you'd be surprisingly wrong.

Yes, there are many (many) similarities between the two. Such as it being the same type of car, same color, same size wheels (21"), same mirrors, same engine mods, same markings and so on.

What's harder to spot are the subtle differences, brought on by the fact that the Essen model had on AC Schnitzer's "generic" aerodynamics pack, whereas the Geneva model was fitted with the Racing Aero pack which includes racing suspension, a new front splitter, carbon fiber front side wings mounted on the front skirt, a slightly taller carbon rear wing, and 'Racing Evo Carbon' exhaust.

AC Schnitzer's performance upgrade has bumped up the power of the M4 from 431 HP to 510 HP - as the engine compartment itself looks pretty darn flashy. But there's no difference in power between the Essen car and the Geneva car.

So there you have it then. Two slightly different Aero packs, one a bit more subtle than the other. So which one do you prefer?

If it was up to us, we'd rather take the Racing pack, you know, since we're suckers for large rear wings.
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/03/ac-...aero-pack.html
Old 03-06-15, 11:18 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Well hello AC Schnitzer. Minor stuff but I'm liking this more than stock I think
Old 03-06-15, 03:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

a white M4 drove by me today on the way to the gym. I actually like the looks of this. aggressive front and rear aero dynamics.

Quick Reply: Bmw m3 & m4 reveal