Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mary Barra's ascension to GM CEO draws praise from industry leaders

Old 12-10-13, 03:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mary Barra's ascension to GM CEO draws praise from industry leaders

Mary Barra's ascension to GM CEO draws praise from industry leaders

"GM Chooses An Engineer Over Beancounters"

As General Motors fought to find its footing following bankruptcy, Mary Barra was tasked with managing the guts of its revival. Now she's known as the person who restored order at GM. In less than three years in her role as global product development chief, Barra moved at a dizzying pace and helped to return both confidence and profit to the once-beleaguered automaker. On Tuesday, she was rewarded for her efforts. Barra, 51, was named CEO of General Motors. She is the first woman to lead a US car company.

"Mary went into an organization that, frankly, four years ago was in chaos," said outgoing CEO Dan Akerson, who announced his retirement at the same time. "She was central to the whole evolution." Against the improbable backdrop of GM's federal bailout, Barra spearheaded the revitalization of the company's lineup of cars, implemented widespread supply-chain changes and oversaw the creation of engine and vehicle strategies that, by decade's end, will result in 90 percent of the company's cars being produced on five or fewer platforms.

Akerson called the global product development role, "the most complicated," in the company. If there was anyone suited for such a role, it was Barra. For more than three decades, she has been a jack-of-all-trades at GM, rising through a series of manufacturing, engineering and human resource positions. She started her career at GM as an intern in 1980, and has worked on factory floors, once as manager at the company's Hamtramck Assembly Plant in Detroit, and she also served as executive director of the company's engineering operations.

"What a tremendous culmination of Mary Barra's career at GM," Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book, told Autoblog. "She has truly climbed the corporate ladder through dedication and hard work. Her history and performance across multiple departments at General Motors has clearly given Dan Akerson and the board tremendous confidence in her ability to successfully lead the largest US automaker."

Her status as the first woman to lead a company in an industry that many perceive as a boys club was duly noted during Tuesday's announcement, but it might be another outsider credential that affects the day-to-day operations of GM. Financial analysts have noted that Barra's appointment marks the first time that someone with an engineering background has risen to the top, as opposed to the well-traveled path of executives ascending from the company's financial arms. That's a good thing, they say.

"We believe the focus on effective product development and engineering processes will become more prevalent within GM with Barra's promotion, and will be part of the company's evolution and ongoing improvement," Barclays equity research said in a written statement.

For a company that seems to be putting its bankruptcy in the rear-view mirror, her hiring is perhaps a sign that General Motors can focus on cars as much as the finances.

"It could be interpreted as a signal that GM believes it's as much a car-making company as a money-making company," said Edmunds senior analyst Bill Visnic. "I think it's an important signal that as GM sheds the last of its financially-focused baggage, it's choosing an engineer to start a new era and frame the company's revised vision."

Barra, who graduated from Kettering University with a degree in electrical engineering, takes over at a time that is at once promising and perilous. One day before her tenure began, the US Treasury Department sold its last remaining stock in GM, and the company is now free from US taxpayer involvement. "Detroit is back, and GM could lead the way forward on the equity front," Dallas-based Hayman Capital told Bloomberg News last week.

Of more pressing concern is that even with a revamped lineup that includes the Chevy Impala and Cadillac ATS and Buick Encore, GM is in the midst of a fierce fight to retain its market share in North America and grow operations despite the ongoing recession in Europe.

"I think we have made great progress, and my message to folks today was, you know, as far as we've come, we must travel that much further to achieve the greatness this company once represented," Akerson said. Akerson, 65, said he had not anticipated retiring until the second half of 2014. But his wife was recently diagnosed with cancer, and that sped up his timeline. He said the board did not seriously consider any outside candidates, and that there were several qualified internal candidates. He was pleased to see Barra earn the job. "I don't want to get too corny here, but it was like watching your daughter graduating from college," he said.

Former GM chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre praised Barra's hiring: "It's a huge company and has a lot of moving parts," he said. "It's a very competitive business. You have to have really good products and you have to keep them coming. She'll have to balance all those ***** and continue to go forward. I think they're doing great. I think she can continue that."
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/10/m...leaders-video/
Old 12-10-13, 03:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

that's awesome. congrats to Mary Barra!
Old 12-10-13, 04:05 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's great to see an engineer at the head of a company driven by engineering!

I hope the commitment to "making cars and not just making money" follows through, i.e. GM's foray into mortgage lending GMAC, now know as Ally Financial. Other business ventures suck up capital and are a distraction from the focus needed to be a competitive car company as competition rises from Korea and luxury auto makers dip down into sub-30k territory.
Old 12-10-13, 05:33 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Having just finished my Bachelors in Accounting today, I take offense at the term beancounter

But I do hope this means that GM will focus on building decent vehicles. But hopefully they won't swing the pendulum away from financial sanity either.
Old 12-10-13, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

On paper at least, looks like a nice choice. I like the fact that she was an engineer. There are too many people in the auto industry, making too many decisions, that really don't know that much about CARS. GM, unfortunately, has had too many of them, starting in the 1970s, after they made some really great products in the 1960s. CEO Roger Smith, in the 1980s, was arguably the worst. Bob Lutz was a breath of fresh air, but, IMO, simply didn't stay long enough at high levels there.
Old 12-10-13, 05:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Having just finished my Bachelors in Accounting today, I take offense at the term beancounter
You won't if you look at the way some cars are designed.

But I do hope this means that GM will focus on building decent vehicles.
Your prayers have already been answered. They've actually been doing that for the last 4-5 years. In fact, the last-generation Malibu and Saturn Aura (both excellent cars, IMO) go back further than that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-10-13 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-10-13, 06:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You won't if you look at the way some cars are designed.

Your prayers have already been answered. They've actually been doing that for the last 4-5 years. In fact, the last-generation Malibu and Saturn Aura (both excellent cars, IMO) go back further than that.
I drove a 2013 Suburban 1500 for my summer job and was thoroughly impressed with it. I liked it much more than the 08 Dodge Caravan they had me putting around in the year before.
Old 12-11-13, 12:25 AM
Hoovey689

Will be curious to see what sort of products we'll see from GM within the next 3 years now
Old 12-11-13, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Let's hope Barra overrules the recent GM decision to stop building cars in Australia on Holden platforms. I won't expand on that too much here, though, because we already have an active thread on that decision.
Old 12-11-13, 12:47 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's not just any engineer. She's an electric engineer. She's been a diehard GM lifer and so was her father. She also spent a lot of time in HR so she knows how to deal with people. It's an exciting time for GM. Great products rolling out. I see good things happening over there.

To all the people who would bring battle of the sexes into this, I don't care. As long as she's into the products and making people like us (enthusiasts) happy, then that's fine by me.
Old 02-08-14, 05:01 PM
Hoovey689

Default Mary Barra named Most Powerful Woman in Business by Fortune

Mary Barra named Most Powerful Woman in Business by Fortune

Mary Barra has been CEO of GM for less than a month, but she's already receiving major accolades. Barra took the top spot in Fortune magazine's first list of the 50 Global Most Powerful Women in Business, ahead of Ginni Rometty, the chairman and CEO of IBM, in second place and Indra Nooyi, the CEO of Pepsi, in third.

Barra has worked at GM for the last 33 years. At 18, she went to the General Motors Institute and started as an engineering intern at a Pontiac factory. In 1990, she got her MBA from Stanford, which propelled her to multiple executive rolls within the company. Before being appointed CEO, she was executive vice president of Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain and was partially responsible for restructuring Opel to simplify its lineup with more global platforms.

Barra also sat down for an interview with Fortune where she talked about her plans for the automaker. "Our goal is to make General Motors the most valuable automotive company," she said. To do that, she wants to strengthen Cadillac and Chevrolet and continue to grow in China. In regards to Cadillac's future, she said: "We have the right products and the right portfolio, and we're committed to regaining our status as a true luxury brand."

​She predicts that the next generation of cars will continue to have improved fuel efficiency and lower CO2 emissions. Autonomous driving technology will also become more important, and buyers will want better, less distracting infotainment systems.

Barra says that she has never asked for a promotion or a raise in her entire time with GM. Her personal mantra is, "Do every job you're in like you're going to do it for the rest of your life and demonstrate that ownership of it." She believes that if you produce great results, then you will get noticed. Clearly, that has worked quite well for her.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/02/08/m...n-in-business/
Old 02-09-14, 12:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Barra says that she has never asked for a promotion or a raise in her entire time with GM.
Perhaps so, but I'm not sure I buy that line.
Old 02-09-14, 02:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Perhaps so, but I'm not sure I buy that line.
It does seem like it might be a bit of a stretch in a corporate culture.