Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 09:52 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default pace car caught fire during a NASCAR race on Saturday night

Chevrolet releases statement Sunday morning, confirms fire in trunk area, which contained "a purpose-built auxiliary electrical kit to operate the numerous caution lights during the race.
Old 02-16-14, 11:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

s*** happens. Oh well, still a cool ride
Old 02-18-14, 09:37 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the latest Chevrolet SS pricing, reviews and vehicle information:
http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/ss/2014-chevrolet-ss/

The Chevrolet SS is an Australian-bred, full-size, V8-powered performance sedan. How does this raucous package fare on American roads? Kelley Blue Book's Micah Muzio has the answer.
Matt invites /DRIVE CLEAN host, world-renowed auto-detailer, and Impala SS owner Larry Kosilla out to LA to help review the 2014 Chevrolet SS. Can an LS3 engine, rear-wheel drive, and great build quality overcome bland styling?
Old 04-03-14, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

2014 Chevrolet SS

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-2516829/

Not everyone is an automobile enthusiast, but for the most part, those who possess valid driver's licenses are usually able to differentiate between a performance car and a luxury car. Furthermore, they are usually capable of telling approximately how old a car is based on its styling.

But not with the 2014 Chevrolet SS.

Even as its true devotees acknowledge the sedan's Pontiac GTO and Pontiac G8 ancestors while hoping that GM's latest will finally earn the merit and recognition it deserves, this made-in-Australia model is a real head scratcher to most. The low volume, rear-wheel drive sport sedan, fitted with a powerful V8 and the world's shortest options list, sits in most Chevrolet showrooms as nothing more than a $45,000 mystery to most of the customers who walk in.

"What is it?" was the most common question during my week with the Chevrolet SS. The answer took me a full seven days to figure out.

A quick walkaround reveals quite a bit about this car, even without opening the hood. The new-for-2014 Chevrolet SS, known as the VF-model Holden Commodore on its home turf Down Under, hints at performance from just about every angle. Its wide stance and meaty tires (the latter with their attendant nonexistent gap between rubber and wheel wells), suggests impressive handling. Oversized brakes, with logos on the calipers, reveal strong stopping capability, while two large exhaust pipes, exiting out of each side of the lower rear fascia, are telltale signs of a strong engine. Lastly, a rear decklid spoiler conjures up images of high-speed stability.

Pulling the chrome handle on the driver's door reveals a cabin tuned for serious drivers, as well. A meaty three-spoke steering wheel is mounted ahead of analog gauges, and leather sport bucket seats with red contrasting stitching welcome the front occupants. Aluminum pedals reside in the footwell, and synthetic suede accents the dashboard and boot around the traditional transmission lever. Without question, 'sport' is this interior's dominating motif.

Yanking on the hood release confirms the four-door's mission. Hidden beneath a disappointingly bland plastic engine cover is a massive 6.2-liter V8 – enthusiasts know this engine as the LS3 – tuned to make 415 horsepower and 415 pound-feet of torque. Just aft of the powerplant, mostly hidden out of view, is GM's 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.

In late 2012, at the NASCAR SS model's introduction, Mark Reuss, GM's North American president, made it very clear that although the upcoming production model appears to be a successor to a previous Aussie, it is on a different mission - and it will carry a premium price. "This is not a return of the Pontiac G8," said Reuss. "The only reason we brought this car over is to go racing," he added, before calling the new sedan, a "four-door Corvette." Those three words stuck with me as I pressed the start/stop button and listened as the V8 roared to life.

While premium fuel ignites inside the combustion chambers, the passenger cabin on the other side of the firewall simultaneously comes to life. Orange needles sweep over white numbers on the analog gauges, while the eight-inch color touchscreen illuminates with a bold Chevrolet Bowtie as GM's MyLink infotainment and telematics system initializes. The driver's seat is comfortable, but the wings near the top of the seats hit my shoulders awkwardly (I'm six-foot, two-inches tall) – they may take some getting used to. There will be no complaints from the backseat, however, as the two outboard passengers will find plenty of room and good outward visibility through their large windows. The rear seats don't fold, but a pass-through allows long objects to extend from the trunk.

In terms of passenger comfort, this halo sedan isn't going to win any segment awards. But that doesn't mean it's going to disappoint, either. When the automaker chose to import the four-door from Elisabeth, Australia, it decided that its $43,475 base price would include a high level of standard content. Occupants enjoy leather upholstery, driver and front passenger eight-way power heated and ventilated seats, passive entry, color head-up display, HID headlamps and MyLink with navigation as standard equipment. There are just five exterior colors (Silver Ice, Red Hot, Phantom Black, Heron White and Mystic Green) that are all offered over Jet Black upholstery. The options list includes just two items: a full-size spare ($500) and a power sunroof ($900). My test car was fitted with neither, but it did include a mandatory gas guzzler tax ($1,300) and destination fee ($995) that brought the total to $45,770.

A traditional shift lever (PRND+/-) moves GM's six-speed transmission into gear, and a light throttle whisks the SS off the line. The front-engine, longitudinally mounted, rear-wheel drive configuration of the SS mirrors the powertrain layout of the Camaro and Corvette, which are Chevrolet's two other high-performance offerings. This layout optimizes vehicle balance, and the SS puts only about 53 percent of its 3,975-pound curb weight on its front wheels (in contrast, today's front-wheel drive Chevrolet Impala puts nearly 60 percent of its weight on its front tires).

The SS may share some Camaro and Corvette DNA, but it doesn't drive like either late-model sports coupe. Instead, the five-passenger sedan seems to mimic the driving dynamics of a BMW M5. But not the current F10 chassis – the long-since-discontinued, V8-powered E39 model. That statement is both good and bad. As a compliment, the third-generation M5 was a wonderful sport sedan that was highly regarded as the best in its class during its heyday (1997-2003). It was powerful and tremendously fun to drive. On the negative side, the SS feels a bit traditional and heavy with its driving dynamics when compared to today's light-in-their feet and very agile sport sedans.

From a standstill, the SS launches like a muscle car. Foot to the floor, the engine roars and the rear tires claw at the pavement as the sedan punches through the 60-mph benchmark in about 4.5 seconds (lacking proper grip, the Chevy will effortlessly do a burnout until each of its rear tires peel down to the cord and eventually disintegrate). Yet at speed, full throttle application initiates a brief pause in the automatic transmission as it thinks about its next step. Finally, after a downshift or two, the engine roars and occupants' heads are forced against their restraints. While passengers don't actually feel the delay, it's annoying from the driver's seat. Today's best eight-speed automatics – to say nothing of dual-clutch gearboxes – don't act this way.

On the open highway, this Australian covers ground comfortably and quickly. The suspension is firm, and its tuning removes any disconcerting floating feeling while at speed. Unrestricted, the SS should be able to go faster than 160 miles per hour. Its well-mannered demeanor at half that speed suggests those velocities won't affect its stability at all. Its only downside on the highway, when it is plugging along at 70 mph on cruise control, is its fuel efficiency, or the lack thereof. The EPA rates the SS at 21 miles per gallon highway, but I was hard-pressed to break 20 during steady state cruising. That's on the low side considering that most late-model sedans with 400-plus horsepower are squeezing an additional 10-15 percent more out of each gallon of fuel.

The SS's true talent is revealed when the road no longer stretches to the horizon. On high-speed sweepers, the four-door pulls away from trailing traffic as it places its fat and impressively sticky Bridgestone Potenza RE050A tires (245/40R19 front and 275/35R19 rear) on the pavement nearly perfectly. It sets into the corners masterfully, without the slightest bit of drama, and hunkers down with gyroscopic stability. The electric speed-proportional steering is a bit artificial in feel and its ratio is far from aggressive, but it's very accurate in terms of placing the polished alloy wheels precisely where they need to be. Its biggest shortcoming in the corners is a lack of bolstering in the seats, which allows torsos to slide side-to-side under high-G loads.

With an LS3 under the hood, the SS doesn't want to do anything but go fast. Yet it stops equally as well, thanks to a braking system designed by Brembo. Up front are four-piston monobloc calipers, with single-piston sliding calipers in the rear. The pedal feels good under all driving conditions, whether it's being asked to slow the four-door from a crawl in a parking lot or haul the two-ton sedan down from highway speeds in a panic stop. They work well all the time, and fade never reared its ugly head, at least in spirited street use.

After a week with the SS, I grew quite fond of the Australian transplant – it's hard not to like a powerful, torque-laden V8 shoehorned under the hood of a rear-wheel sedan with suspension, tires and brakes equally on par. It's far from perfect, but I smiled broadly each time I stepped on the accelerator and the throaty LS3 came to life.

The Chevrolet SS falls short to the competition (Dodge Charger SRT8, Chrysler 300 SRT8 and Cadillac CTS Vsport) in terms of power and styling, but it has them beat on price. Taken as a whole, the SS comes across as a polished, and very well-rounded, sport sedan package that is more focused on performance than the others. While the competitors battle things out with the latest appearance packages, technical innovations and luxuries, the Aussie import doesn't see the need to impress anyone but the few thousand who will take it home.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/03/2014-chevrolet-ss/
Old 04-03-14, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Though I haven't actually driven one yet, I think this car is going to make a good competitor to Chrysler's 300C Hemi and Dodge's Charger RT/STR-8. The 300 SRT-8 is probably too expensive to be a direct competitor (it can run well over 60K with options). I wouldn't quite list the Ford Taurus SHO as an SS competitor. Its turbo Ecoboost 3.5L V6, though no slouch, isn't in quite the same league underhood.
Old 04-03-14, 11:42 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Though I haven't actually driven one yet, I think this car is going to make a good competitor to Chrysler's 300C Hemi and Dodge's Charger RT/STR-8. The 300 SRT-8 is probably too expensive to be a direct competitor (it can run well over 60K with options). I wouldn't quite list the Ford Taurus SHO as an SS competitor. Its turbo Ecoboost 3.5L V6, though no slouch, isn't in quite the same league underhood.
The downside to the Taurus is that it is FWD

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 04-03-14, 11:44 AM
Hoovey689

SS falls between the 300C and SRT8 in terms of figures.

Hopefully the next Taurus and SHO version will be lightened some as well as work on the brake feel (spongy IMO). That 3.5L EcoBoost should be (insert pun here) boosted more too, roughly in the ballpark of 400+ hp. The engine is detuned some and can take a beating

SS is not meant to be a sales champion, but more for enthusiasts who need a V8 and four doors but can't fathom a Camaro or Corvette. Props to GM for offering it
Old 04-03-14, 12:16 PM
jsanders
Driver

Designed and built in Australia, rebadged from an Aus nameplate. But I bet you most people are going to see this car as more American than a Toyota designed and built in the USA, like say, the Tundra. Shaking my head...
Old 04-03-14, 01:31 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
SS falls between the 300C and SRT8 in terms of figures.

Hopefully the next Taurus and SHO version will be lightened some as well as work on the brake feel (spongy IMO). That 3.5L EcoBoost should be (insert pun here) boosted more too, roughly in the ballpark of 400+ hp. The engine is detuned some and can take a beating

SS is not meant to be a sales champion, but more for enthusiasts who need a V8 and four doors but can't fathom a Camaro or Corvette. Props to GM for offering it
I remember reading a review of the SHO in C&D a couple of years ago and if I'm not mistaken the car they tested weighed over 4,400 lbs.! That thing needs to loose at least 400-500 lbs. ASAP. I wonder if it's feasible?
Old 04-03-14, 02:03 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I remember reading a review of the SHO in C&D a couple of years ago and if I'm not mistaken the car they tested weighed over 4,400 lbs.! That thing needs to loose at least 400-500 lbs. ASAP. I wonder if it's feasible?
Yes in its current form it is a porker. Agreed it needs to be at least 400-500lbs less. Hopefully the lessons learned with the 2015 F-150 and weight savings will make its way to the Taurus
Old 04-06-14, 09:11 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

2014 Chevrolet SS vs. Chrysler 300 SRT Comparison
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html
Holden Out For More: Two American Sedans Flex Their Muscles

In the end, we picked the SS as the car we would buy if it were our money. The Chrysler 300 SRT is a blast, but only in the right circumstances. I really enjoyed driving the car when I was doing illegal, and what would also be expensive, smoky acts in a closed environment. If you said "who would ever take these to the track?" while reading that section, then ask yourself how often you have a chance to do big smoky drifts and not worry about the law or the price of rear tires.

The SS is a good car in every situation, whether on the racetrack, your favorite driving road, or just cruising down the highway. I want a car that I can enjoy driving anywhere, not one I wish I could enjoy driving somewhere.
Old 04-06-14, 09:33 PM
Hoovey689

Nice little review. Honestly I'm not sure which I'd rather have atm
Old 04-07-14, 09:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Some things change, yet GM stays the same as they always have.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Can't see this car selling well.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Same here. It seems like a stopgap effort by GM to offer something until they can come up with something better.
Probably bomb worse that the last GTO.
I agree, I highly doubt this thing will make it two years on the market.

My neighbor has a LaCrosse and the interior is typical gaudy GM cheap looking plastic.
Now Cadillac and some other interiors are nice but most of GM isn't to me.

The Impala has awful faux wood trim , ugly steering wheel and that dash cover is ugly with the two tone buckskin like interior.
Nice engine,ugly car with a cheap plastic interior for $45K.
The interior of this thing is typical GM, their interiors are well behind competitors like Toyota and Honda, but then again this thing competes with Dodge so go figure. The exception would be Cadillac which have rather nice interiors.
Old 04-07-14, 09:37 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yes in its current form it is a porker. Agreed it needs to be at least 400-500lbs less. Hopefully the lessons learned with the 2015 F-150 and weight savings will make its way to the Taurus
For this specific car, I don't agree with the less-pork argument. This car seems like it is being marketed to Baby Boomers who drove the immensely popular original Impala SS models in the 60s. They grew up with relatively large, heavy American cars. That crowd, of course is not only looking at the SS, but also across street at the Dodge shops selling the also-large and heavy Charger R/T and SRT-8. In many cases, they would rather buy a sedan muscle-car instead of a classic ponycar like the Mustang/Camaro, simply because their aging bodies find the sedans easier to climb in and out of.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-07-14 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-07-14, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

For this specific car, I don't agree with the less-pork argument. This car seems like it is being marketed to Baby Boomers who drove the immensely popular original Impala SS models in the 60s. They grew up with relatively large, heavy American cars. That crowd, of course is not only looking at the SS, but also across street at the Dodge shops selling the also-large and heavy Charger R/T and SRT-8. In many cases, they would rather buy a sedan muscle-car instead of a classic ponycar like the Mustang/Camaro, simply because their aging bodies find the sedans easier to climb in and out of.
Mike did you catch what car I was talking about when I wrote my post in response to LexBob? We are talking about the Taurus SHO (and lesser extent MKS) which I know you don't find impressive. We're talking about it's weight compared to the the SS and SRT8.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Chevrolet SS