Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

the new '14 Avalon

Old 12-16-13, 11:38 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, not it actually has its own platform unlike before... it is still variant of MC but its different enough than Camry.

Of course, what I laugh about is that ES and RX are based on Avalon and Highlander, which is not true - if we look at production numbers, ES and RX double the sales of Avalon and Highlander, so the platform is designed for them first and then Toyota variants.
Here in NA the Toyota models sell equal to, or better than their Lexus counterparts:

Thru November Avalon 64.7k, ES 64.6k. Highlander 115.2k and RX 90.8k.
Old 12-16-13, 08:15 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Are you driving them with the recommended tire PSIs in them? Any car will ride a little smoother if you let a few pounds of air out of the tires or put a soft pillow on the driver's seat. But there is no denying that, if not what YOU would consider rough (though I respect your opinion) , the 2013-14 Avalon, with its redesigned suspension and lower-profile tires, is noticeably less compliant in bump-absorbing than its predecessors, especially the nice 1Gen model. Reviewer after reviewer after reviewer in the auto press, Consumer Reports, and my own review when I drove it, all came to the same conclusion.
I wouldn't say the Avalon ride rough at all. But it definitely doesn't ride as plush as the older models. I would liken the difference between this generation and the previous ones to being more of a controlled ride. It's a tighter, more controlled ride, not necessarily rough or harsh.
Old 12-16-13, 10:02 PM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you driving them with the recommended tire PSIs in them? Any car will ride a little smoother if you let a few pounds of air out of the tires or put a soft pillow on the driver's seat. But there is no denying that, if not what YOU would consider rough (though I respect your opinion) , the 2013-14 Avalon, with its redesigned suspension and lower-profile tires, is noticeably less compliant in bump-absorbing than its predecessors, especially the nice 1Gen model. Reviewer after reviewer after reviewer in the auto press, Consumer Reports, and my own review when I drove it, all came to the same conclusion.
back in the late 1980s, I had a Lincoln Town Car and it was so "plush" that I couldn't feel speed bumps. Okay, I felt them, but it felt like I was driving over a foam pillow. It handled big *** speed bups even at 40mph. My family's other car, a Nissan 300Z had to drive over the same speed bump at 3mph. Needless to say, that thing handled corners like a wooden canoe.
Old 12-17-13, 01:24 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Here in NA the Toyota models sell equal to, or better than their Lexus counterparts:

doesnt really matter what they sell in single country, worldwide Lexus versions are sold in other countries while Avalon and Highlander are mostly not.

So in the end, Lexus versions double sales of Toyota versions.
Old 12-17-13, 06:13 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
doesnt really matter what they sell in single country, worldwide Lexus versions are sold in other countries while Avalon and Highlander are mostly not.

So in the end, Lexus versions double sales of Toyota versions.

Any numbers published?
Old 12-17-13, 08:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
I wouldn't say the Avalon ride rough at all. But it definitely doesn't ride as plush as the older models. I would liken the difference between this generation and the previous ones to being more of a controlled ride. It's a tighter, more controlled ride, not necessarily rough or harsh.
OK...I'll agree with some of that. It's not typical sports-car firm, but definitely firmer and less bump-absorbent than in past models. And that's where I think the car has gone downhill (along with good-looking but cheap flimsy hardware inside). Avalons are supposed to glide over bumps, even if some people would consider that "floaty" They aren't supposed to be tight, well-controlled sports sedans....there are plenty of other cars today that do that.
Old 12-17-13, 08:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

OK...I'll agree with some of that. It's not typical sports-car firm, but definitely firmer and less bump-absorbent than in past models. And that's where I think the car has gone downhill (along with good-looking but cheap flimsy hardware inside). Avalons are supposed to glide over bumps, even if some people would consider that "floaty" They aren't supposed to be tight, well-controlled sports sedans....there are plenty of other cars today that do that.
That makes sense to me.
Old 12-17-13, 09:37 AM
BlueCrabby
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they are ALL 100% Toyotas!
Old 12-17-13, 09:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I've read a number of reviews on the new Avalon (as well as the new ES) and most of them have pointed out they don't ride like they used to. On the other hand the Avalon is selling VERY well. Thru November sales are nearly 65k +165%. It seems like actual buyers don't mind, and are snapping them (ES too) up.
Old 12-17-13, 10:42 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

I've read a number of reviews on the new Avalon (as well as the new ES) and most of them have pointed out they don't ride like they used to. On the other hand the Avalon is selling VERY well. Thru November sales are nearly 65k +165%. It seems like actual buyers don't mind, and are snapping them (ES too) up.
I don't believe there are any 'soft' riding cars in the Avalon/ES price range anymore.Got to go LS,S Class...
New Impala,maybe.
Old 12-17-13, 11:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Without a detailed breakdown of age/car-buying history/preferences. etc..... my hunch is that many of the Avalon buyers are new takers who have not owned the car before, and that a number of the traditional buyers are avoiding it. Where will they go?....my bet is over to either the all-new 2014 Chevy Impala or Kia Cadenza...both of which provide noticeably more cush-tush in the suspension, and with the Impala combining that nice ride with excellent steering-response as well.
Old 12-17-13, 11:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Without a detailed breakdown of age/car-buying history/preferences. etc..... my hunch is that many of the Avalon buyers are new takers who have not owned the car before, and that a number of the traditional buyers are avoiding it. Where will they go?....my bet is over to either the all-new 2014 Chevy Impala or Kia Cadenza...both of which provide noticeably more cush-tush in the suspension, and with the Impala combining that nice ride with excellent steering-response as well.
I'm surprised the Cadenza has a cushy ride.
Old 12-17-13, 11:36 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm surprised the Cadenza has a cushy ride.
IMO, it's cushy compared to the new Avalon's, but not quite as soft as the new Impala's (I've recently reviewed all of them, BTW). The Impala's new suspension, combining excellent ride and steering response both, is nothing short of remarkable.....IMO one of the best I've ever seen on a non-BMW/Mercedes product. The Germans, of course, have long-excelled at that.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-17-13 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-17-13, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Any numbers published?
For 2012.

Yeah... ES 105k .... RX 156k produced.

Avalon 29k, Highlander 121k sold in the USA, +very small numbers sold in Arab countries.
Old 12-17-13, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, with sales up so much (crazy 330% increase last month) it means Toyota has made a good choice with 2013 Avalon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: the new '14 Avalon