Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

This guy KNOWS how to review cars.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default This guy KNOWS how to review cars.

Wow.........this guy is GOOD. He KNOWS how to review cars. I was very impressed with him....and I can't say that about some reviews I've seen. Check out his take on the new 2014 Mazda3....it will take about ten minutes. He talks in a straight, informative manner, and doesn't add a lot of B.S. (and, like me, he wears a baseball cap)

Old 12-07-13, 01:31 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he's good. but i've been spoiled by chris harris and even clarkson. i need bit more entertainment factor in order for me to watch the whole 10 min of a car i don't care about.
Old 12-07-13, 01:31 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes,I like his style.
I thought the new Mazda3 would do better.
I agree with many of his points.Especially the afterthought look info screen.
Old 12-07-13, 01:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlee12
he's good. but i've been spoiled by chris harris and even clarkson. i need bit more entertainment factor in order for me to watch the whole 10 min of a car i don't care about.
Yeah, but Clarkson, IMO, jokes too much. Often times, he talks about the scenery, the road, what he had for dinner last night/breakfast this morning, his last date, evading the cops, political barbs.....everything BUT the car he's driving.
Old 12-07-13, 01:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Huge fan of this new Mazda3. Other than the belayed diesel in the Mazda6, I would love to see them offer a diesel in this little Mazda3 to take on the Cruze and Jetta TDI, but no plans have been released to do so. I'd have one as a commuter in a heartbeat if they did though
Old 12-07-13, 02:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

He's pretty good, a little dry I agree. Ever watch The Fast lane Car on Youtube? I like them.

As for the Mazda 3 5 door, my brother in law just got one and I drove it over Thanksgiving and was surprised by how much I liked it. Fun, zippy little car, good looking, with a nice premium feel to it. He's overjoyed with it. I like the look of all the new Mazdas really.

As for the screen, I don't care for that look either. Unfortunately its kind of in style right now, look at BMW, Mercedes:

BMW 3:

The Mercedes CLA:
Old 12-07-13, 05:19 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah, but Clarkson, IMO, jokes too much. Often times, he talks about the scenery, the road, what he had for dinner last night/breakfast this morning, his last date, evading the cops, political barbs.....everything BUT the car he's driving.
he entertains me. he is by far the best when it comes to pure entertainment.
Old 12-07-13, 05:53 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the camera work....I wish MOTORWEEK would duplicate it.
Old 12-07-13, 06:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
I like the camera work....I wish MOTORWEEK would duplicate it.
I casually know Motorweek's John Davis (not real close, but I see him at local auto shows, and we chat). He is a great guy, nice and outgoing, but I agree he doesn't review like the guy in the video. For one thing, the Motorweek TV show is very time-limited, and they have to fit in a number of other features, including Pat Goss.
Old 12-07-13, 06:40 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
He's pretty good, a little dry I agree. Ever watch The Fast lane Car on Youtube? I like them.

As for the Mazda 3 5 door, my brother in law just got one and I drove it over Thanksgiving and was surprised by how much I liked it. Fun, zippy little car, good looking, with a nice premium feel to it. He's overjoyed with it. I like the look of all the new Mazdas really.

As for the screen, I don't care for that look either. Unfortunately its kind of in style right now, look at BMW, Mercedes:

BMW 3:

The Mercedes CLA:
didn't a8 started this?
Old 12-07-13, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

At least on the A8 and A6 the screen retracts. If the screen retracts you can understand.
Old 12-07-13, 08:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
The compact Mazda sedans/hatchbacks have been good little driver-oriented cars for decades. I owned three of them myself in the 80s and early 90s....a GLC, 323, and Protege. All three had a superb chassis/steering, though their standard engines were sometimes underpowered. Still, they weren't called the "Poor Man's BMW" for nothing....and that tradition, of course, carried over into the Mazda3.
Old 12-07-13, 08:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

My cousin has an 09 Mazda 3 sedan which I also like, but this new one is on a whole other level IMHO.
Old 12-07-13, 09:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This review is useless, most of the stuff the guy is talking about is stuff you can just figure out for yourself by visiting the dealer.
Old 12-08-13, 06:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I casually know Motorweek's John Davis (not real close, but I see him at local auto shows, and we chat). He is a great guy, nice and outgoing, but I agree he doesn't review like the guy in the video. For one thing, the Motorweek TV show is very time-limited, and they have to fit in a number of other features, including Pat Goss.
I record and watch Motor Week episodes.
They rarely if ever say anything really negative with their road tests and reviews.Powder puff comments.
It's like they're afraid to **** off any auto manufacturer.

Quick Reply: This guy KNOWS how to review cars.