Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes dealers authorized to spend $2,500 on perks for S-Class customers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-13, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Mercedes dealers authorized to spend $2,500 on perks for S-Class customers

Mercedes dealers authorized to spend $2,500 on perks for S-Class customers

If you drop $100,000 on a luxury sedan, it seems only reasonable to receive some preferential treatment at the dealership you purchased from. After all, that price isn't just for the car – you're paying for the brand and all the cachet that entails. For Mercedes-Benz, those benefits have apparently been lacking relative to the German brand's luxury competitors.

That's set to change, though, as Automotive News reports that the German brand is placing a much greater emphasis on keeping its customers happy and loyal with its MB Select program. Starting with the new S-Class and spreading to the CLA-Class (and eventually beyond), dealers are being given money - up to $2,500 in the case of the flagship sedan - just to improve the customer experience.

We agree, improving the "customer experience" is quite a vague term, so it's nice that Mercedes USA's CEO, Steve Cannon, offered up some examples to AN at the LA Auto Show. For example, a customer couldn't fit his sunglasses into the overhead compartment. "So we bought him a pair of Ray-Ban sunglasses that fit because of their shape," Cannon said.

Another buyer had an issue with a fussy check engine light, which required a quick software reflash. "The problem was fixed immediately, but we said that does not happen with the S-Class, the best car in the world. Dinner is on us. That customer was so thrilled he came in the next day and bought an SL off the showroom floor," Cannon told Automotive News.

Dealers seem to be onboard with the new program, as well. AN spoke to Josepeh Agresta, the chairman of the Mercedes Dealer Board. "This was Mercedes-Benz putting their money where their mouth is about customer service and empowering people at the front of the line both at their organization and the dealer network to make quick decisions and to try to help customers out in difficult situations with a new car."
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/02/m...-free-dinners/
Old 12-02-13, 07:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

niiiice! in high end luxury products, service is huge too.
Old 12-02-13, 07:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This is just another prestigious element "high end service" that should be part of any business plan from a company playing in the coveted Tier 1
Old 12-02-13, 08:17 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather have them give me $2500 back in cash instead.
Old 12-02-13, 08:32 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I was at the lexus dealer the other day and a guy came up to me saying how much better the lexus dealer was than mercedes with his cls. I guess he didn't benefit from this change haha
Old 12-02-13, 09:40 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is a good idea.

of course dealers would be on board with this idea, they aren't losing any money, they are being reimburse for everything
Old 12-02-13, 09:53 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

They'll also google you. When my uncle purchased his S550 the salespeople were trying to butter him up by saying he was the "most famous" person they've ever catered to (note: he's not a celebrity or anything he's just a high ranking executive at a Fortune 500 company and so he's often featured in business journals/articles and he has his own wiki page, etc.).

I've heard of airlines doing this as well. Some of them will google 1st class passengers under the assumption that if you're paying for first class you're probably a reasonably successful person. It's all a game to make service more personal and to make the client feel good about him or herself. Makes sense.

And really the dealers aren't spending $2500 per se. That money is neatly folded into the profit margin for the car.

It's like when you go to men's warehouse or something and they're offering 2 for 1 suits all year round. You're not really getting a suit for free. You're just being forced to pay for 2 suits
Old 12-02-13, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

when you are driving the valedictorian of the automotive industry this is the least the can do. Love the luxury treatment. High life baby
Old 12-02-13, 10:20 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
And really the dealers aren't spending $2500 per se. That money is neatly folded into the profit margin for the car.
I don't think this is quite accurate. It's not like the dealer pockets the balance of $2,500. It sounds more like they can submit expenses like this to Mercedes Corporate. I'm sure some dealers were already doing efforts like this, and yes, taking some from the profits of the car. But this helps encourage dealers to do these services without impacting their individual bottom lines. It's good for the brand, and good for the customer as well.
Old 12-02-13, 10:26 PM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Nice!!
Maybe Lexus will follow later on xP
Old 12-02-13, 10:30 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pbm317
I don't think this is quite accurate. It's not like the dealer pockets the balance of $2,500. It sounds more like they can submit expenses like this to Mercedes Corporate. I'm sure some dealers were already doing efforts like this, and yes, taking some from the profits of the car. But this helps encourage dealers to do these services without impacting their individual bottom lines. It's good for the brand, and good for the customer as well.
Yeah sounds reasonable enough.
Old 12-02-13, 10:55 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

off topic but really ugly rims on that S class in OP
Old 12-02-13, 11:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Another buyer had an issue with a fussy check engine light, which required a quick software reflash. "The problem was fixed immediately, but we said that does not happen with the S-Class, the best car in the world. Dinner is on us. That customer was so thrilled he came in the next day and bought an SL off the showroom floor," Cannon told Automotive News.
to me, quick thought is that they are having issues with first batch of cars and Mercedes is authorizing dealers to spend money to keep people happy.

They are giving money to unhappy customers - there should be no unhappy customers 1 month into the launch of S-class though.
Old 12-02-13, 11:53 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I guess I don't belong in the luxury market lol....I'd just prefer $2500 off the price of the car.

@ the customer complaining about the sunglasses.....all I can think is first world problems. Makes me ponder the times that I myself am guilty of complaining about little things and hope I don't get any worse.
Old 12-03-13, 12:02 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I too rather have the money and do as I please with it. Not impressed with gifts or people sucking up to make me feel special. It's already a big game and phoney enough when buying a car. This makes it worse.

Quick Reply: Mercedes dealers authorized to spend $2,500 on perks for S-Class customers