Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looking at a 1999 Mercedes SLK230

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 05:40 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking at a 1999 Mercedes SLK230

Hi guys, my friend is looking at this car. Its a 1999 with 56k on it. They are asking $4,900. I was just in need of some advice. Is the car reliable? Any major issues with this model? Anything to look out for? Thanks guys

Old 11-29-13, 07:37 PM
jli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Judging from the condition of the interior, it looks like it has 256k instead of 56k.. And the rear end looks too new for its age. It might be involved in an accident. (SLK logo location is also off).

This might be a mileage rollback and salvaged. stay away.
Old 11-29-13, 07:41 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven one a few times. Was not very impressed at all. That one was put up for sale in new condition for $7,000. That one looks like it's been through the ringer a few times. IMHO I would recommend to stay away.
Old 11-30-13, 03:06 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I just looked up some of the owner reviews on Edmund. A lot of owners have said the interior is painted on and over time the paint will peel off. Repainting the interior is pretty cheap or you could just take off all the painted altogether (than it would be a light black color).
Old 11-30-13, 03:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Here is another SLK with the same interior issue.

Old 11-30-13, 03:29 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jli
Judging from the condition of the interior, it looks like it has 256k instead of 56k.. And the rear end looks too new for its age. It might be involved in an accident. (SLK logo location is also off).

This might be a mileage rollback and salvaged. stay away.
I have seen other 1999 SLKs with the same bumpers and side skirt. You're right, I think it was rear ended. But my friend is ok with that. When we looked up the car history it said around the 50k mark.

Can a digital odometer be rolled back?

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 11-30-13 at 03:32 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 07:19 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

unless they had a big dog scratching and messing with the interior or something, i don't see how it got in such bad shape after only 56k mi.
Old 11-30-13, 07:53 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Do not buy this car. 1999 was exactly when MB cost cutting when into full force. Poor quality interiors, that kompressor engine may suffer from supercharger failure if not properly maintained, the convertible top pump may need to replacing, and watch for blown speakers. Some of these things are more age related, but still. I would avoid this, especially given that it's been rear-ended (think about all of the complex convertible gear attached to the trunk lid) and the fact that the interior looks way too worn for 56k.
Old 11-30-13, 09:27 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
unless they had a big dog scratching and messing with the interior or something, i don't see how it got in such bad shape after only 56k mi.
I don't think the interior is that bad. Just peeling paint around the center console and glove box. Both of the door panels, seats, gauges, and gauge hood/face are still in good condition.

It could also be because the car is from Texas. It gets really hot down there and paint would peel faster than if it was from a northern state. Carfax is showing 50k with the last odometer reading.
Old 11-30-13, 09:43 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Do not buy this car. 1999 was exactly when MB cost cutting when into full force. Poor quality interiors, that kompressor engine may suffer from supercharger failure if not properly maintained, the convertible top pump may need to replacing, and watch for blown speakers. Some of these things are more age related, but still. I would avoid this, especially given that it's been rear-ended (think about all of the complex convertible gear attached to the trunk lid) and the fact that the interior looks way too worn for 56k.
What year would you recommend than?

He could just never put the top down
Old 11-30-13, 09:54 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Wow. I see a lot of people with good points.

Anyways, I am never been a person that trust in German Used car type of things. The only car that I would purchase used = Porsche.

The Major set back reasons are their parts...they are like non-existence, take forever to find one the older they are....the longer you take....the more expensive it is.

Not to mention how complicated they are to work on, or have them done at the shop....all in all....is a sink hole for the money. If you want MB or BM or Audi, lease it new....4 years full warranty.

That is why I am with Lexus, even a 2000 Lexus will last forever....parts are shared with Toyota.....easier to find, cheaper to maintain...etc
Old 11-30-13, 09:57 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Wow. I see a lot of people with good points.

Anyways, I am never been a person that trust in German Used car type of things. The only car that I would purchase used = Porsche.

The Major set back reasons are their parts...they are like non-existence, take forever to find one the older they are....the longer you take....the more expensive it is.

Not to mention how complicated they are to work on, or have them done at the shop....all in all....is a sink hole for the money. If you want MB or BM or Audi, lease it new....4 years full warranty.

That is why I am with Lexus, even a 2000 Lexus will last forever....parts are shared with Toyota.....easier to find, cheaper to maintain...etc
Its for a friend of mines. I agreed, I'm happy with Toyota/Lexus products.

I would think Porsche would cost more to keep up with. But he already knows about German cars. He had an E39 for awhile.

Part issue fix

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4114910566.html
Old 11-30-13, 09:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I remember test-driving an SLK of that vintage...it was a lot of fun with the top down, but, of course, like most smaller 2-seat roadsters, cramped inside for larger persons. As far as reliability goes, electronics, of course, was and is a major issue with Mercedes products of that era. They also have interior hardware defects.
Old 11-30-13, 10:04 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

What do y'all think about a 2004 CL500? Its from the same place.

It has 61k and they are asking $13,500.

Old 11-30-13, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Same general issues with a 2004......electronics will (probably) be the main thing.

Quick Reply: Looking at a 1999 Mercedes SLK230