Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Fe limited awd vs MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-13, 10:56 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyundai Santa Fe limited awd vs MDX?

While back I had posted a thread about 2014 MDX we were considering, top of the line was what we were looking at $55,400 with best deal I could find which was $2k discount.

We decided to wait a bit for better deal, but in the meantime I looked at the 2014 Santa Fe limited awd with technology package same or similar size and power, the limited has a second row captains chair for 2,2,2 seating.

There is also a lower level version with the conventional second row, few less features but with options almost the same features as limited minus Hid lights.

But we liked the Hyundai Santa Fe has about 95% of the Acura features for 80% of the price, looks like $38k loaded.

If we back out the MDX Advance package to just technology package same or similar features to Santa Fe we'd be at $46k

So an. $8k bump to get the Acura.

Any thoughts? We like both but saving $8k does not suck and Hyundai has feature like heated steering wheel and parking sensors not on MDX with technology.

We prefer MDX with Advance but not sure I can justify $17 difference, plus we are looking for a new car for daughter next year that $17k or $8k could go a ways towards that next car.
Old 11-28-13, 10:59 AM
rai
Lead Lap

Here is a mini review comparison of the two cars:

http://portlandtribune.com/pt/11-fea...-for-the-money
Old 11-28-13, 11:23 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Santa Fe is a compelling vehicle. Great stats and good value. I personally don't believe the quality is "there yet" though, as some Hyundai's are still teething through fluff.
Old 11-28-13, 11:48 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

That's not even a question. Just for the mediocre reliability for the Santa Fe, between those two, get the MDX. Also keep in mind how the resale on the Hyundai will compare.

Last edited by Chocolate; 11-28-13 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-28-13, 04:12 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Saigax,

Not sure I understand your reply? Are you saying the new MDX is more reliable than the Santa Fe? I have read many problems with the 2014 MDX (too new to say how reliable it will be) but has a recall 'do not sell' report on all awd MDX. I have a 07 MDX and it has had many recalls as well.

I also see reports of Hyundai having very good resale value as well as Santa Fe in particular having great resale value, and if starting at $8k cheaper it should cost less to buy and lose less overall money.

http://www.realcartips.com/news/0759...le-value.shtml

https://www.alg.com/insights/residual-value-awards/

Last edited by rai; 11-28-13 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-28-13, 04:39 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

for what it worth, Motortrend did rate Santa Fe over the new MDX in the '14 SUV of the Year contest. MDX didn't even crack the finalist round.
Old 11-29-13, 03:50 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

For what it's worth:

Cheapest 2010 Santa Fes in the country: Around 10,000 dollars.

Cheapest 2010 Acura MDXs in the country (similar mileage): Around 20,000 dollars. That's more than the difference in sale price.

I have several magazine subscriptions, including Car and Driver and Motor Trend. They are light entertainment; comparison tests are not serious buying advice and often contradictory, even within the same publication.
Old 11-29-13, 03:55 AM
Chocolate
Instructor

The Volkswagen Passat is the 2012 Motor Trend car of the year. Not sure I agree with that as the most remarkable car of 2012.
Old 11-29-13, 05:11 AM
rai
Lead Lap

The 2014 Santa Fe limited replaced the Veracruse so not sure you can look at the cheapest 2010 Santa Fe also the limited is 95% content and specs as MDX

Maybe you should look at 2010 Santa Fe vs. 2010 CRV

The cheapest Veracruse is more like $16000

Last edited by rai; 11-29-13 at 05:46 AM.
Old 11-29-13, 08:37 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SaigaX
For what it's worth:

Cheapest 2010 Santa Fes in the country: Around 10,000 dollars.

Cheapest 2010 Acura MDXs in the country (similar mileage): Around 20,000 dollars. That's more than the difference in sale price.
Well, this isn't worth much. Santa Fe (and most Hyundai's) make some pretty dramatic leaps from generation to generation. Entirely unfair to look at the 2010 values. And even then you'd need to look at how far apart the median selling prices were for the respective 2010 models. This is a terrible data point to use.
Old 11-29-13, 01:05 PM
rai
Lead Lap

My point being the 2010 Santa Fe was probably more like the size features of a Rav4 now the new Santa Fe limited is a full on MDX clone only comes with 290hp V6 same full size in and out as the MDX
Old 11-29-13, 01:20 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rai
Saigax,

Not sure I understand your reply? Are you saying the new MDX is more reliable than the Santa Fe? I have read many problems with the 2014 MDX (too new to say how reliable it will be) but has a recall 'do not sell' report on all awd MDX. I have a 07 MDX and it has had many recalls as well.

I also see reports of Hyundai having very good resale value as well as Santa Fe in particular having great resale value, and if starting at $8k cheaper it should cost less to buy and lose less overall money.

http://www.realcartips.com/news/0759...le-value.shtml

https://www.alg.com/insights/residual-value-awards/
You must be joking. Acura is one of the most reliable autos on the market and it holds the value like a luxury brand.
Hyundai on the other hand depreciates as fast as american cars. Just like other states, go on autotrader and see the real value comparing 2-3 years old vehicles.
This comparison is apple with oranges anyway. It's not like you compare two luxury brands. Acura will always hold the value better. I think in the long run you will lose more money when you'll trade it your Hyundai than you are trying to save right now at the purchase moment.
Old 11-29-13, 02:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by keyframe13
You must be joking. Acura is one of the most reliable autos on the market and it holds the value like a luxury brand.
Hyundai on the other hand depreciates as fast as american cars. Just like other states, go on autotrader and see the real value comparing 2-3 years old vehicles.
This comparison is apple with oranges anyway. It's not like you compare two luxury brands. Acura will always hold the value better. I think in the long run you will lose more money when you'll trade it your Hyundai than you are trying to save right now at the purchase moment.
I agree. Looking at the recent Consumer Reports reliability information, as brands, Acura and Hyundai are pretty far apart, with Acura being in the top 3. The MDX shows Predicted Reliability as Above Average and the Santa Fe has dropped to Below Average.
Old 11-29-13, 04:24 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by pbm317
Entirely unfair to look at the 2010 values.
Okay, feel free to spend 38,000 dollars on a Hyundai crossover.
Old 11-29-13, 04:27 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I agree. Looking at the recent Consumer Reports reliability information, as brands, Acura and Hyundai are pretty far apart, with Acura being in the top 3. The MDX shows Predicted Reliability as Above Average and the Santa Fe has dropped to Below Average.
I feel the vehicle has potential, but not for 38,000 dollars.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Fe limited awd vs MDX?