Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hyundai Santa Fe limited awd vs MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 07:35 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, we went to look at the MDX, dealer happend to have an Advance which we ended up buying. My wife was especially looking at the Advance package which has pre collision system as well as ACC.

We love the car so far, especially the LED headlights which are quite illuminating.
Old 11-29-13, 08:20 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Great choice! Enjoy your new ride.
Old 11-29-13, 09:00 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice, I see a number of the Acura MDX around I think it's a solid choice. Enjoy it!
Old 11-29-13, 09:04 PM
rai
Lead Lap

80% will be my wife driving, so that's what she wanted this way I don't have to hear any complaints if something is not perfect.

She does drive a lot, like 25K miles a year.
Old 11-30-13, 12:25 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the MDX rai, solid and safe choice all around. Cannot go wrong with it.

Originally Posted by SaigaX
Okay, feel free to spend 38,000 dollars on a Hyundai crossover.
I didn't say that the Hyundai could justify the $38,000 or not. I was merely referring to your data point and its applicability to the situation at hand.
Old 11-30-13, 12:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Good choice. The MDX is a greater vehicle than the Santa Fe.
Enjoy many miles.
Old 11-30-13, 06:11 AM
rai
Lead Lap

2007 MDX with 128K miles, got us $13K trade in.
Old 11-30-13, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by rai
Thanks for the replies, we went to look at the MDX, dealer happend to have an Advance which we ended up buying. My wife was especially looking at the Advance package which has pre collision system as well as ACC.

We love the car so far, especially the LED headlights which are quite illuminating.
congrats! question for you - with the advance, does that include the rear screens (which i have no interest in)?
Old 11-30-13, 10:57 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Congrats, the MDX is a great all-arounder and should serves your needs well
Old 11-30-13, 11:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. Enjoy it.

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
] The MDX is a greater vehicle than the Santa Fe.
True in general, but one cannot really directly compare the two. In most areas, the Santa Fe competes more with the Honda Pilot than with the MDX, which is a higer price/class category.
Old 11-30-13, 12:18 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
congrats! question for you - with the advance, does that include the rear screens (which i have no interest in)?
Advance basically includes all of Technology package and all of entertainment package (which has rear entertainment and rear heated seats) but adds rear split screen with HDMI input and upgraded sound system.

Advance is basically BS except for a few features like ACC and collision mitigation system as well as upgraded interior and different wheels and I think rain sensing wipers, auto unlock keys and parking sensors front and rear.

Does lack one thing, heated steering wheel
Old 11-30-13, 02:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

thanks. that's just it, to get ACC you need to get RSES which is ludicrous. i liked the jeep grand cherokee packages as i recall. the sorrento sx limited is nice, but doesn't offer ACC (something i want).
Old 11-30-13, 03:06 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Basically the Advance package is something like $6K on top of Entertainment/Technology.

In other words, you already need to order RES.

You get cooled seats, parking sensors, rain sensing wipers, remote start, keyless entry, premium (perforated leather) more sound insulation, better sound package, parking sensors.

But what I really wanted was ACC with pre-collision braking and seat belt pre tension, as well as Lane Keep Assist. I have not tried this out but my wife said it's cool, keeps you in the middle of the lane when you are not actively steering one way or the other, I believe it will even make curves in the road.

All in all a lot of good stuff with a lot of meh stuff.

But my wife wanted some of the stuff, and I know I'd rather have her getting the top and not wanting to trade it in on the mid cycle refresh. She tends to keep 6-7 years so she wants the main 'new' features.

But the killer is that since Advance is in short supply, they offer greater discounts on the lower trims or base versions than they do on the Advance (at this time).

It's not killing me, at least it's not MB, LR or BMW pricing.
Old 11-30-13, 03:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Congrats on your MDX. Did you look at the Infiniti QX60 at all?

We're also in that market sometime in the next year, looking at the MDX, QX60, and other 3 row crossovers (Explorer, maybe the Pathfinder, new Highlander). I did also drive the 3 row Santa Fe.

I will say, I think the Santa Fe is a great vehicle, and when you factor in the price its an incredible vehicle. To anyone that says $38,000 is too much for the Santa Fe, you need to look at what the other vehicles in this segment cost. $38,000 is cheap for a three row crossover optioned like the loaded Santa Fe Limited. Obviously, comparing it to something like an MDX or similar luxury vehicle isn't fair because its not a luxury vehicle, but I'd take a Santa Fe over say...a Highlander any day.

The resale argument remains to be seen. Saying that "the cheapest 2010 Santa Fe is $10k, the cheapest MDX is $20k and the difference in price is less than that" is a false argument. Hyundai has improved tremendously over the last 5 years, the cars they are building today will do quite well on resale I think.
Old 11-30-13, 07:01 PM
rai
Lead Lap

Sorry we didn't look at Infiniti, but I drove rx350 and 450h as well as a loaded Grand Cherokee, and Cadillac SRX and Audi Q5 those are 5 passenger SUVs but we could have went with 2 row. We tend to buy Honda/Acura, this is our second MDX and our second Odyssey and we owned 2 other Hondas in the past, but I wanted to look at some others, but we are not serial shoppers, I mean we kind of were going with the MDX unless we found something else, I was not expecting much of the Santa Fe but was pleasantly surprised with it as well as the Genisis we had as a rental car last month which was the nicest rental car I have ever driven.

I know that MDX is nicer than the Hyundai but not sure it's $8k to $15k nicer, but the Santa Fe did not have the main feature my wife wanted the advance collision system, and I really like the ACC, and likely if it did have those features it would creep up closer in price.

Not a fan of the MDX nav system which locks you out while the car is in motion except for voice command which is not accurate so far. Have to figure that out.

But really is a pain when you have a passenger who can input stuff into the nav but it's locked out.

Last edited by rai; 11-30-13 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Hyundai Santa Fe limited awd vs MDX?