Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fortune ranks 10 most powerful women in autos

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-13, 01:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Fortune ranks 10 most powerful women in autos

Fortune ranks 10 most powerful women in autos

With talk of Mary Barra as one of four potential successors to Dan Akerson as CEO of General Motors, it seems like ripe time to take a step back and acknowledge the most powerful women in the auto industry. Fortune made that easy for us by compiling a top-10 list, and sitting at the top is no other than Mary Barra.

That was a no-brainer, after watching her "No more crappy cars" speech at Fortune's Most Powerful Women Summit in October, but who would fill out the rest of the list and in what order remained a mystery.

But as Fortune's list points out, the most powerful women in the auto industry make a diverse crowd, with communications and marketing executives, a professional racecar driver/celebrity, engineers and even a CEO of a major Canadian parts company (Linamar). Take a look below to see who made the list, then head over to Fortune if you want a brief description of why they're considered to be at the top of their game:
  • Mary Barra - GM, Executive vice president global product development and global purchasing and supply chain
  • Grace Lieblein - GM, Vice president global purchasing and supply chain
  • Julie Hamp - Toyota Motor North America, Chief communications officer
  • Danica Patrick - Racecar driver
  • Alicia Boler-Davis - GM, Senior vice president global quality and global customer experience
  • Barb Samardzich - Ford Motor, Vice president and chief operating officer, Ford of Europe
  • Chris Barman - Chrysler Group LLC, Vehicle line executive
  • Linda Hasenfratz - Linamar, CEO
  • Trudy Hardy - BMW of North America, Vice president of marketing
  • Elena Ford - Ford Motor, Vice president global dealer and consumer experience
Old 11-27-13, 09:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

How about Jean Jennings? She is Editor-in-Chief of AUTOMOBILE magazine, a widely-read publication (I read it myself...among others).

Famed racing driver Denise McCluggage, IMO, has also probably earned a spot on that list. She does a regular column called "Drive, She Said".

Old 11-27-13, 01:42 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
How about Jean Jennings? She is Editor-in-Chief of AUTOMOBILE magazine, a widely-read publication (I read it myself...among others).
This list seems like it's people actually in the industry and then one motorsports athlete. Not journalists.
Old 11-27-13, 03:27 PM
Hoovey689

But Jean Jennings is only associated with "cars" via publication. I doubt she even drives the cars they review. Everyone else actually works for a company that produces cars or uses them in motorsports. In the end Automobile is just a publication
Old 11-27-13, 04:02 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
But Jean Jennings is only associated with "cars" via publication. I doubt she even drives the cars they review. Everyone else actually works for a company that produces cars or uses them in motorsports. In the end Automobile is just a publication

I'd say she's a pretty keen driver and a stronger enthusiast than even most people on forums.
Old 11-27-13, 04:17 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by whoster
I'd say she's a pretty keen driver and a stronger enthusiast than even most people on forums.
That's good that she's knowledgeable but that really doesn't hold any "power" when ranking women in the automotive industry - which the publication may be associated with but not part of the industry.
Old 11-29-13, 09:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Originally Posted by pbm317
This list seems like it's people actually in the industry and then one motorsports athlete. Not journalists.
The auto press is quite powerful in the influence of auto design these days. We see that every day in the design of so many new cars that are sport-oriented...they are the main reason so many cars, today, including family sedans, have firm (even stiff) suspensions, low-profile tires, rakish rooflines, and Hold-Your-Butt-in-Corner seats.
Old 11-29-13, 10:50 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The auto press is quite powerful in the influence of auto design these days. We see that every day in the design of so many new cars that are sport-oriented...they are the main reason so many cars, today, including family sedans, have firm (even stiff) suspensions, low-profile tires, rakish rooflines, and Hold-Your-Butt-in-Corner seats.
Or you could argue the automotive press merely reflects the tastes and preferences of todays car buying public.
Old 11-29-13, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Or you could argue the automotive press merely reflects the tastes and preferences of todays car buying public.
I respect your opinion, but I don't quite see it that way. Most of the best-selling vehicles in the American market (Camry, Accord, Corolla, Civic, Cruze, Altima, F-150, Silverado, etc.....) are (relatively) non-sport oriented........vehicles that the auto press generally finds "boring". And, over the years, very few of the many people I've helped shop with for new/used cars have really really cared much about 0-60/quarter-mile times or cornering/skidpad/braking figures. Their main quests have been quality, versatility, and a good price.

Of course, I realize that begs the question of why I brought up Jean Jennings and Denice McCluggage not being included on the list. True, most car-buyers, today, probably don't prefer the same type of sport-oriented cars that those two do. But Jean and Denise do seem to be two of the more well-known women in the auto press...and the auto press, today, clearly has effect on the design of new cars more than their actual numbers would justify.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-29-13 at 04:51 PM.