Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Cadillac ELR

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 05:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Almost half of US Cadillac dealers say no to ELR plug-in hybrid

Almost half of US Cadillac dealers say no to ELR plug-in hybrid

If you've got $75,995 (or so) burning a hole in your pocket and a hankering for the new Cadillac ELR, you'd better call your local dealer before you burn up shoe leather and gasoline to head down there. According to a report on Edmunds, only about 56 percent of the brand's 940 dealers have signed up to carry the premium plug-in hybrid.

As much as we'd like to see the more affluent among us driving on electricity, we can certainly understand the dealers' apparent lack of enthusiasm. The article cites costs of up to $15,000 for tools and training to sell the ELR. Show floor real estate is another consideration for dealers who aren't enthusiastic about sacrificing space for a for a vehicle with initial sales – just 46 units nationwide in the first two months, but that volume is expected to increase – that are as mediocre as our first drive impressions.

Still, for those locations that co-habitate with Chevrolet dealers who already participate in the Volt program, the extra expenditure shouldn't be too onerous. The two vehicles share the same basic electro-mechanical drivetrain, so those dealerships should have most of the needed infrastructure already in place. The bulk of ELR sales, according to Cadillac's global marketing director Jim Vurpillat, are expected to be in along the coasts, in places like California, Miami and New York.
http://green.autoblog.com/2014/02/18...lug-in-hybrid/
Old 02-20-14, 05:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Almost half of US Cadillac dealers say no to ELR plug-in hybrid
yep, just read this....it's definitely doomed 100% now.....
Old 02-20-14, 06:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I saw an ELR at the auto show last week. IMO it looked better in pictures but not bad overall. No surprise but I was the only person checking it out.
Old 02-21-14, 11:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Half of U.S. Cadillac Dealers Don’t Want the ELR

The Cadillac ELR may look glamorous in its first commercial, but that doesn’t mean dealers are queuing up for it. On the contrary, nearly half of Cadillac dealers in the United States have decided not to sell the 2014 ELR, the brand’s first plug-in hybrid vehicle.

According to a report from Edmunds, about 410 of Cadillac’s 940 U.S. dealers will not sell the ELR. Dealers located in areas of the country where Cadillac sales volume is small or the likelihood of selling the new plug-in hybrid coupe is remote, will not sell the ELR.

“We have a pretty good representation in rural markets because we are dialed up with other General Motors brands,” said Jim Vurpillat, Cadillac’s global marketing director. “It is a great service advantage. But those dealers might look at ELR and say, ‘Ok, if I sell one of these, I got to have service charging stations, special training, a sales area. I have to buy special tools,’” he added.

Considering that the cost for tools, training and other items can be as high as $15,000, dealers’ reluctance to embrace the Cadillac ELR is understandable. “If they don’t think they will sell more than one or two units a year, they would do the numbers, and it is probably not worth it,” Vurpillat explained.

He added that most of the sales will come from areas like California, Dallas, Miami and New York. Cadillac only sold 6 ELRs in December and about 40 in January. That’s because the ELR is priced at a steep $75,995, including $995 for shipping. However, buyers may be eligible for a tax credit of up to $7,500 depending on individual tax liability.
http://www.carscoops.com/2014/02/hal...dont-want.html
Old 02-21-14, 12:20 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Let's get real

The folks buying ELRs would not be eligible for the tax credit

The dealers are well informed and to see them passing on the car should send an important message to GM
Old 02-21-14, 03:22 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

So, let me see if I've got this all straight in my head...

Chevy comes out with the Volt...which is a $25K car (basically a Chevy Cruze), but with a $40K price tag...and nobody (other than Ed Begley Jr.) buys one.

So, they take the same drivetrain, put it in a $50K car...and put a $70K price tag on it.

Is that a fair summary?
Old 02-21-14, 05:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious

Chevy comes out with the Volt...which is a $25K car (basically a Chevy Cruze), but with a $40K price tag...and nobody (other than Ed Begley Jr.) buys one.

So, they take the same drivetrain, put it in a $50K car...and put a $70K price tag on it.

Is that a fair summary?

Totally agree.

The ELR is a huge mistake by GM priced at 75K into Tesla territory. GM what were you thinking? This car to stand a remote chance, should not have been more than 50K fully loaded.
Old 02-21-14, 05:15 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Totally agree.

The ELR is a huge mistake by GM priced at 75K into Tesla territory. GM what were you thinking? This car to stand a remote chance, should not have been more than 50K fully loaded.
key word
Old 02-26-14, 08:25 AM
evo8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious

Is that a fair summary?
the volt was developed from the ground up. don't know if you can say it as the same as a cruze? btw the cruze is the only small size car that got good ratings from nihtsa. making the ELR I think is a mistake for pricing it that high. they should have kept the hybrid version of the escalade instead where almost all brands are using it's technology in making their own hybrid, like BMW, Porsche, and MB.
Old 02-26-14, 09:30 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by evo8
the volt was developed from the ground up.
No, it wasn't, not by a long shot. Both cars share the Delta Compact platform, the same 1.4L engine (though the Cruze's version has a turbo), and a ton of other parts.
Old 04-01-14, 10:59 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Eight Months ago, Matt got a Chevy Volt as a daily driver, and won't shut up about how awesome it is. The problem is, it's rather dull looking, so no one understands how awesome it is unless they drive it. To fix that, GM gave Cadillac it's own Volt, called the ELR. It looks like the future, but is it any good to drive? We drive them back to back to find out.
It's about time somebody did this review.
Old 04-01-14, 03:02 PM
evo8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Motor
Video Link: http://youtu.be/cn_L05WLc94

It's about time somebody did this review.
Actually an accurate and nice review. I don't know what they see in the tesla however which is a chassis and betteries and limited in range due to its EV only and they think it is worth $100k?
Old 04-01-14, 07:56 PM
LexFather

They sold less than 90 last month. Not sure of targets...

Old 04-02-14, 12:12 AM
Hoovey689

Great looking car but it does not live up to its potential for its price bracket. DOA
Old 04-02-14, 12:50 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I seriously question the marketing people at Cadillac as well. NOBODY is going to buy a "green" car from Cadillac, no matter the price.

Historically, through the company's heyday from about 1946 to 1980, they were known for building lavish, wild looking, v8 powered, 10mpg land yatchs.

Ask anybody about a Cadillac built in the last 20 years, its going to be either one of these three:

1. Grandpa's Deville
2. The Escalade, 10mpg
3. The CTS, small, knife edge styling, costs about $35,000 new.

So you have this preconceived notion that Cadillac builds gas guzzlers, which has been true. Then you have the notion that all the crazy, knife edge styled cars are pretty cheap, ie nobody is willing to jump to that 75k price bracket. Then there is the grandpa baggage, ie grandpa doesn't buy that hip "green" car, he buys the car that "the man", "the establishment" has been driving for the past 50 years.

And then there is the gearhead like me, who looks at a 2014 CTS-V coupe, 556hp, costs less than the ELR. If I can afford that type of car, I can damn well afford to put gas in it and rear tires every 5k miles. Its kind of sad when you chest thumping supercharged V8 is more civilized(ie quieter) than your stupid economy 4 banger.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Cadillac ELR