Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Turbo plans revealed at Tokyo

Old 11-27-13, 03:38 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
i used to love the idea of turbo chargers.... then I bought one. Well its good for the manufacturers. The days of 200,000 mile Toyota's is gone, gonna have to buy a new car every 100,000 miles. Hold onto those late 90's early 2000's Japaneese vehicles, (MADE in Japan) they will be in demand for decades to come.

I refuse to buy a CVT transmission. I refuse to buy (another) small turbo engine. I refuse to buy a cheap plastically painted silver interior. I refuse to buy live rear axles. I refuse to buy drum brake cars. Cars that get rid of the double wishbone suspensions for struts ala Civic or Camry... I think I've just described what is becoming of the "everyman" car's of today, ie Camry, Accord... now start stop? What's next skip shift from 1'st to 8th gear and piping fake engine noise into the cabin! Cars are becoming so lame to drive from the Japanese.

I drive a lot of rental cars from work, from everyone, it seems they are just getting cheaper inside and out. This trend doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Electric cars from Tesla...instant torque, less mechanical parts to wear out seem like they can't get here fast enough. I don't see anything on the horizon except the Tesla Model S....
And what is the reason you should refuse ?

Turbo is great for power with a bit lag. It may sip more gas but certainly will save over bigger displacement engines. Fe, turbo 4 sip more gas than 4 but waste less than 6 cylinders. I like turbo engine.
Old 11-27-13, 04:30 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eye Candy!!!

Lexus 2.0t

http://www.caradvice.com.au/261914/l...turbos-coming/

Last edited by yowps3; 11-27-13 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-27-13, 05:57 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toy4two
i used to love the idea of turbo chargers.... then I bought one. Well its good for the manufacturers. The days of 200,000 mile Toyota's is gone, gonna have to buy a new car every 100,000 miles. Hold onto those late 90's early 2000's Japaneese vehicles, (MADE in Japan) they will be in demand for decades to come.

I refuse to buy a CVT transmission. I refuse to buy (another) small turbo engine. I refuse to buy a cheap plastically painted silver interior. I refuse to buy live rear axles. I refuse to buy drum brake cars. Cars that get rid of the double wishbone suspensions for struts ala Civic or Camry... I think I've just described what is becoming of the "everyman" car's of today, ie Camry, Accord... now start stop? What's next skip shift from 1'st to 8th gear and piping fake engine noise into the cabin! Cars are becoming so lame to drive from the Japanese.

I drive a lot of rental cars from work, from everyone, it seems they are just getting cheaper inside and out. This trend doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Electric cars from Tesla...instant torque, less mechanical parts to wear out seem like they can't get here fast enough. I don't see anything on the horizon except the Tesla Model S....
Welcome to the Future.

(yeah I hate a lot of this crap too)
Old 11-27-13, 06:48 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I recently drove the Accord with CVT and it was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. I use to be anti-CVT only because the ones I drove were crap. It's different, but it was smoooottthh.
Old 11-27-13, 08:10 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
they use technology differently... Audi never uses both port and direct injection at the same time, it is one or another... could be due to patent from toyota.
I feel the need to clarify that while the engine does do BOTH, it only does one at any time - not that the engine only has one or the other. I'm sure you know this, but your language was ambiguous.
Old 11-27-13, 08:56 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I feel the need to clarify that while the engine does do BOTH, it only does one at any time - not that the engine only has one or the other. I'm sure you know this, but your language was ambiguous.
yes, they dont work together at the same time... I think they are some other manufacturers talking about using both port and direct injection, I wonder if it will be similar to Audi as well.
Old 11-27-13, 10:58 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

I'm pretty sure they do work together at the same time. Somewhere I have a white paper (SAE) on the 2GR-FSE or one of Toyota's other D4S engines and it described using almost entirely port injection at idle or light loads, a mix of both at medium loads, and then almost entirely direct injection only at high loads. Or something like that.
Old 11-27-13, 11:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I'm pretty sure they do work together at the same time. Somewhere I have a white paper (SAE) on the 2GR-FSE or one of Toyota's other D4S engines and it described using almost entirely port injection at idle or light loads, a mix of both at medium loads, and then almost entirely direct injection only at high loads. Or something like that.
In Toyota they do, in Audi they do not.

But Toyota has D4S patented - portion about them working together takes a big chunk of patent description.

You are right on usage, in general it uses direct injection only at high loads, and both are used depending on need in lower modes - it improves torque and fuel consumption at the same time.
Old 11-27-13, 03:37 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice cover! Hope they transition it to production
Old 11-27-13, 10:09 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah it looks very nice.
Old 11-28-13, 09:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

i hate engine covers
Old 11-28-13, 09:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i hate engine covers
kind of looks stately with complete engine covered, but overall i also prefer to see the engine fully. This turbo will be quite busy with all the stuff it has going and dual injectors.
Old 11-28-13, 11:12 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i hate engine covers
The pop off ones aren't bad. The clip held ones however..
Old 11-29-13, 11:53 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

The pop off ones aren't bad. The clip held ones however..
Yes! I totally agree! I broke the clip ones in my IS250 . . .