Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Turbo plans revealed at Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 01:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In August CR magazine recapped the percentage of cars that missed their EPA estimates by more than 10% in their Road Tests.

55% of Hybrids
28% Small turbos
10% of Conventional cars

Interesting numbers.
Old 11-24-13, 02:44 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But the interesting question is how much more than 10% ^^

I bet the DI Turbo lead in that respect
Old 11-24-13, 03:12 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But the interesting question is how much more than 10% ^^

I bet the DI Turbo lead in that respect
Probably no surprise but the widest differences appear to be some Ford hybrid products. The Lincoln MKZ hybrid missed its EPA estimate by 11 mpg and the C-Max hybrid by 10 mpg.
Old 11-24-13, 03:18 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Probably no surprise but the widest differences appear to be some Ford hybrid products. The Lincoln MKZ hybrid missed its EPA estimate by 11 mpg and the C-Max hybrid by 10 mpg.
Yeah Ford's Hybrids give Hybrids a bad name.
Old 11-24-13, 03:23 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
toyota's doing what they need to do to become competitive and sounds like their plans are innovative and excellent. however, i'm not excited about the industry trend in general. i think it's really sad the whole car industry is being forced to offer tiny engines with turbos...

only the very few will ever know what a v8 is like in the future.

Puhlease, we have twin turbo V8's now. The car industry offers far more choices than ever, and jusr about every car is good now... even Haiyondies and Chryslers are not total junk anymore. Hell, even the new Lada Kalina is pretty darn good.
Old 11-24-13, 07:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Puhlease, we have twin turbo V8's now.
with today's economy, gas prices, and taxes, fewer and fewer can afford them, or even want them. they will be regulated and taxed largely out of existence.

a 550i w/ basic options is at least 70K
Old 11-24-13, 08:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with today's economy, gas prices, and taxes, fewer and fewer can afford them, or even want them. they will be regulated and taxed largely out of existence.

a 550i w/ basic options is at least 70K
There are far more 550's on the road and V8 power X5s, X6, GLs and so on than ever before. And 70k todays money isn't what it was in the 90ies either. Cars in the last five years have improved tremendously, everyone made giant leaps. Auto industry is also posting record sales numbers month after month. Todays cars with modern drivetrains drive better than ever before. Maintaining and repairing them in the long run is going to be expensive - but thats a whole another story.
Old 11-24-13, 09:36 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Yes, they announced that it will have D4S. Together with new VVTi,

Australian media write that Lexus head in PR conference that 2.0l was designed to have power of 3.5l V6 and "up to" 350nm.

Not sure what it means, they estimate 300hp and 350nm, but I dont think thats going to happen in NX... Maybe in some other model or maybe they will have several power outputs.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/260570/l...petrol-engine/
If true, those power figures would be incredible for a 2.0L turbo from Toyota. I'm not a turbo fan personally, but I'm excited to see what Toyota has developed with their new turbo engines.
Old 11-25-13, 03:59 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
If true, those power figures would be incredible for a 2.0L turbo from Toyota. I'm not a turbo fan personally, but I'm excited to see what Toyota has developed with their new turbo engines.
i think these days anyone can do 300hp turbo... question is what kind of longevity and real life power and fuel numbers.
Old 11-25-13, 08:40 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by madfast
yes i meant a turbo exhaust manifold. being that it's used in racing, it was only a matter of time before a production car used this design. im surprised that toyota looks to be the first. its a big step imo because they didnt just come out with a run of the mill DI turbo 4. instead they went and tried to improve upon it. instead of just DI perhaps they will use D4S? can they even add valvematic? combine this with the exhaust manifold cylinder head and i can see this engine being a winner...

1.) DI + turbo isnt new anymore. its basically the standard. even cheap kias have DI turbos. that's why this new turbo engine may be special. they went above and beyond simply slapping a turbo on a DI engine.

2.) small turbos run out of breath in the upper rpm range. the article specifically says that toyota wanted to decrease lag by using the exhaust manifold cylinder heads so that they can run larger turbos.
They can add Valvematic. The first N54 did not have Valvetronic but it did have piezo-eletric fuel injectors. BMW added Valvetronic and switched to solenoid-type injectors with the N55.

The integrated of exhaust manifold with cylinder head decreases the volume of exhaust gasses between the cylinders and the turbine, as well as reducing the under-hood temperatures by eliminating hot steel tubing to connect the two. Because hot gasses are typically highly compressible, part of the infamous turbo "lag" can be eliminated by reducing the length of pipe.

The other considerable factor in lag is turbine spin-up time. This is mostly eliminated by the twin scroll turbo and the grouping of cylinders to even out the pressure pulses hitting the turbine.

It will remain to be seen if the lag is really gone or not. Most likely it will still be there, but I'm guessing only perceptible under full-throttle scenarios. It will certainly have less lag than BMW's N54 or N55, though.
Old 11-25-13, 09:55 AM
madfast
Driver

i think these days anyone can do 300hp turbo... question is what kind of longevity and real life power and fuel numbers.
bingo. the evo makes about 300hp/300 ftlbs without DI. so making power isnt the problem. the problem is lag. bmw makes a great effort to "eliminate" lag, but the downside is seen up top.

hopefully the toyota turbo 4 can use the cylinder head exhaust manifold to get similar low rpm performance, yet run a larger turbo for more up top.

Originally Posted by Infra
They can add Valvematic. The first N54 did not have Valvetronic but it did have piezo-eletric fuel injectors. BMW added Valvetronic and switched to solenoid-type injectors with the N55.
yes i believe it took them some time to fit both the DI injectors and valvetronic in the head. hopefully toyota thought ahead and this "new VVTi" on the turbo 4 is in fact valvematic. if that's the case, then the toyota turbo 4 will have D4-S, valvematic, and the twin scroll cylinder head exhaust manifold. it would be the best turbo 4, period.

Last edited by madfast; 11-25-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-25-13, 11:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, they would have said Valvematic if they added it, right? Not sure if they can fit it together with D4S, so far their cars have either Valvematic or D4S.
Old 11-25-13, 12:27 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, they would have said Valvematic if they added it, right? Not sure if they can fit it together with D4S, so far their cars have either Valvematic or D4S.
If one wants to eliminate turbo-lag, the best way is to smooth out the pressure pulses hitting the turbine. The twin scroll design and cylinder grouping does that somewhat, but controlling the exhaust valve timing & lift is also part of that.

It may not be Valvematic™, but if not, likely something we havn't seen before.
Old 11-25-13, 12:55 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

What's the main difference between Valvematic & VVTI?
Old 11-25-13, 01:22 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Infra
If one wants to eliminate turbo-lag, the best way is to smooth out the pressure pulses hitting the turbine. The twin scroll design and cylinder grouping does that somewhat, but controlling the exhaust valve timing & lift is also part of that.

It may not be Valvematic™, but if not, likely something we havn't seen before.
yeah, agreed.

Quick Reply: Toyota Turbo plans revealed at Tokyo