Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How the Koreans are cracking the luxury market

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 03:41 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I wish Hyundai and Kia had established some differentiation in the character of their higher end cars. For instance Hyundai focusing on luxury and Kia focusing on sport sedans. The current overlap does nothing to expand the appeal other than styling preference.

I really like the style of the next Genesis and the K900. They will certainly be on my list for evaluation when I replace my LS460 next year. I'm not sure that they need a new brand for luxury cars as long as they continue the service plan that is in place for the Equus.

I also like the trend at BMW to making their cars more comfortable and roomy enough for use as a real sedan. I'm just not sure that they have the reliability issues under control enough to take another chance on owning one again.
Steve
Old 11-22-13, 04:01 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Kia's and hyndais will never get the respect other top car manufacture companies get. the kia optima is one of the weirdest looking cars on the market, somebody else said it and i agree, it looks like a damn spaceship.
Old 11-22-13, 04:21 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The article is somewhat misleading. I lived in ROK from 2004-2005 and even the. Seoul was a moden city. They are leagues ahead with public transportation and the architecture (both new and old) is absolutely stunning. With that said, I seen dozens of Hyundai and Kia and daiwoo cars that were never offered outside the ROK. Even sat in a MR drive similar to a mr2 made by Hyundai. The bongo truck is a huge stable of the Asian market and they make huge profits from selling abroad (I wish we could get them here). The strangest thing I noticed was the badging. They will sell a car with the name, logo, the another decal for "deluxe model" and another "gold edition" followed by "super platinum plus" all on the same car lol.

Nah, I think they are doing well, and yes I think luxury car makers should be nervous. The genesis is just a practice car for future designs. Next generation should be nasty.
Old 11-22-13, 06:08 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

i think what the article meant to say was that seoul was a third world up until late 70's. i'm sure they are not idiots. seoul is now a big bad major city that you want to visit for couple of weeks, but not want to live. i hate big cities.
Old 11-22-13, 07:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoFastTSI
Really? Your friend, as well as you, is an idiot. You profess to not reading the article and then go on to state that you hate the brand. How logical and thought provoking. Let's disprove your statements with some facts:

5yr, 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty
10yr, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty
7yr unlimited mileage rust perforation warranty
Genesis topped the JD Powers ranking for customer satisfaction in 2012 ABOVE Lexus

Your friend is mentioning Hyundai Motors of the late 90's and early 2000's, NOT present day or even the past 5 years.

We get it, you hate Hyundai....
Right, let me guess, you must be a master mechanic ?
Get out of here with your personal insults. My friend knows cars inside out. He used to live, breathe cars and how cars are built and put together.
Forget all the PR fluff, marketing, and warranty info. This is the cold hard truth in the streets, so to speak.

What are you trying to prove throwing those warranty numbers at me?
Go to talk to some proven and experienced mechanics, they'll tell you the same thing my friend told me.

Many of these problems are covered under warranty, but many of them occur right after warranty. Speaking of warranties, you should look up the warranty scandals with Hyundai, how they often refuse to cover problems under warranty and will often make up excuses as to why major problems aren't covered under warranty.

I got nothing to prove to you. If you don't want to believe it keep doing your thing.

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Define complete lineup. They offer Accent, Elantra, Sonata, Azera, Genesis Coupe, Genesis sedan and Equus. Tucson, Santa Fe Sport and Santa Fe for their SUVs. They may not offer a pickup truck but...wait did you really just say Chrysler? All they have is the Sebr...200 and 300 both of which are less luxurious than even the Sonata and Azera respectively.
No large or proper off-road SUVs and no pickup trucks. By industry definition one is not a full-line automaker unless you offer those vehicles.

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Kia's and hyndais will never get the respect other top car manufacture companies get. the kia optima is one of the weirdest looking cars on the market, somebody else said it and i agree, it looks like a damn spaceship.
Of course they won't get respect. They're arrogant, desperate, and very in-your-face about why you should consider their cars and why they're so great and how much they're improved.

That's not how you get respect, even in a "bold and brash" country like the US.

Compare it to the corporate philosophy and marketing attitude of the American brands, and it's a night and day difference. Even though the American brands have a very American approach to marketing, as they should, they treat the viewer/customer with way more respect than Hyundai or Kia.
Old 11-23-13, 07:56 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3

The Korean cars look nice only in the surface from a distance. But their quality is no where near the Japanese brands once you get to fiddle and drive them..

One area which I cannot get over is how extremely flimsy their entire doors are.

Their interior quality is also very flimsy and they all have a peeling problem, the plastics have this thin layer that just peels off in a yrs time after some use.

Their entire interiors in general are flimsy, nothing feels solid, substantial and tight.
That definitely was not the case in the mid-2000s, where, as I said in previous posts, Hyundai probabaly reached its peak in quality, driveability, ride-comfort, and material-solidness. Yes, today, there has been some downgrade since then, but not anywhere near as dire as you imply.
Old 11-23-13, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
i respectfully disagree. Without the Hamster campaign, Soul do not sell as much especially because it's Kia. You may look beyond the marketing, but many people don't. these ads changes the perception. It will make you to go to dealer. after that it's all up to the product. Without the hamster campaign, awareness will drastically go down. and clearly numbers backup my claim. after the campaign sales number exploded. and this is why brands spend millions on ads.
Fine, but the Soul was selling well even before the hamster-ads came out. It was just an inexpensive, sensible, space-efficient vehicle that a lot of people seemed to like. And, of course, something else that helped fuel its sales was the fact that Toyota had (for the most part) misjudged the 2Gen redesign of the Scion xB, and the Nissan Cube, though interesting, was just not well-suited for the American market. The Soul, in the end, just didn't have a lot of real competition any more.

yes, at the end of the day, it's all about the product. but the product needs help. ads don't make sales. it only helps improving public perception and create public awareness.
Publicity and car-info, though, comes from many sources, not just silly TV ads/cartoons....car magazines, Consumer Reports (an extremely wide-read publication, including myself), car-reviews, auto shows, automaker web-sites, and, of course, great auto-forums like our own CAR CHAT.

For ex. remember Isuzu rodeo/trooper campaign in mid 90's? great old goodby silverstein, and partners did the toy store campaign and few other great campaigns on trooper. it instantly made rodeo top seller briefly. but we all know what happened after that.
Don't forget, though.....for awhile, the Rodeo and Trooper had direct competition from Honda/Acura, which sold both vehicles as Passport and SLX rebadged versions. Honda did that until their own SUVs (CR-V and Pilot) were ready.
Old 11-23-13, 07:44 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

your definition of weird is weird.

and define respect. internet warriors bashing each other in discussion forums? lame. if they were so disrespected then why would people buy their cars? internet opinions do suck sometimes.
Old 11-23-13, 07:59 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Kia's and hyndais will never get the respect other top car manufacture companies get..
Thats what they used to say about Lexus. Look at them now.
Old 11-23-13, 08:01 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Right, let me guess, you must be a master mechanic ?
Get out of here with your personal insults. My friend knows cars inside out. He used to live, breathe cars and how cars are built and put together.
Forget all the PR fluff, marketing, and warranty info. This is the cold hard truth in the streets, so to speak.

What are you trying to prove throwing those warranty numbers at me?
Go to talk to some proven and experienced mechanics, they'll tell you the same thing my friend told me.

Many of these problems are covered under warranty, but many of them occur right after warranty. Speaking of warranties, you should look up the warranty scandals with Hyundai, how they often refuse to cover problems under warranty and will often make up excuses as to why major problems aren't covered under warranty.

I got nothing to prove to you. If you don't want to believe it keep doing your thing.

No large or proper off-road SUVs and no pickup trucks. By industry definition one is not a full-line automaker unless you offer those vehicles.

Of course they won't get respect. They're arrogant, desperate, and very in-your-face about why you should consider their cars and why they're so great and how much they're improved.

That's not how you get respect, even in a "bold and brash" country like the US.

Compare it to the corporate philosophy and marketing attitude of the American brands, and it's a night and day difference. Even though the American brands have a very American approach to marketing, as they should, they treat the viewer/customer with way more respect than Hyundai or Kia.
what makes hyundai's approach any different than other brands? after all most if not all brands preach their accolades, accomplishments, and whatever stats that may stand out. what's the difference between hyundai's marketing tactics than any of these lexus ads? right now lexus is selling sex & affluent lifestyle in their ads. new IS TV commercial is a great example.

hey look

Lexus is saying 'LS is for mid 30's hotshot' please look at us!

it's all about selling the image. hyundai/kia is selling the 'new perception' 'underdog' 'we are here' 'our quality is awesome' 'we are value but we offer style too!' to the masses. they have to force feed all those things because well, they've been traditionally been regarded as low quality crap. many people still do. just like you. so they obviously have to preach that they aren't crap anymore. why wouldn't they brag about brand loyalty? winning car of the year? or whatever they have to brag about? and these did work because perception has gotten better and better. you have to admit that no matter how much you hate them.

and right now lexus is selling sex because they've been regarded as old & boring. they changed the design direction to young & bold. they don't want to be associated with wealthy retired folks in the keywest. instead they want to be associated with modern, young, and rich in the wallstreet.

and you need to stop taking things personally. may be you should take some marketing courses to understand why brands do things certain way. it will enlighten you and help you understand why hyundai/kia is doing whatever they are doing right now. they don't spend ton of money to **** you off. they spend it, so they can sell more and get better. and that's why brands change ad agency to agency. i don't know which agencies have hyundai accounts now, but i know it was goodby, silverstein and partners who did most of the memorable hyundai campaigns including that Angry Boss superbowl ad.

corporate philosophy? get outta here. corporate philosophy is to sell, sell, improve brand image, and sell some more. that's the corporate philosophy for most if not all brands. and usually people upstairs let agencies do their thing. trust me. i know this.

Last edited by hlee12; 11-23-13 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-24-13, 05:10 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwong77
Thats what they used to say about Lexus. Look at them now.
Not really. In the 90s my uncle had just purchased a brand new SC400 and let me tell you it was the biggest WOW FACTOR ever. It was so ahead of time and was a crazy car in every way. Power, acceleration, performance, interior, tech, features and looked amazing. It was like nothing I had seen before.

That day I knew Japanese cars and Lexus were truly superior.

Now until Hyundai can truly give me the WOW FACTOR like Lexus did with the SC400, then I'd consider them world class and not secondary tier brand