Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2014 Acura RLX

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 03:40 PM
LexFather

Their hybrid was to be released last fall as a 2014 but continues to be delayed midway through 2014 for issues. Just a disaster for a brands top of the line model.

I've seen I think two here in over a year, one was a white loaner and this one below...

Old 06-29-14, 03:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Both the Acura and BMW driver need a parking refreher course.
Old 06-29-14, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
Their hybrid was to be released last fall as a 2014 but continues to be delayed midway through 2014 for issues. Just a disaster for a brands top of the line model.

Car & Driver, a couple months ago, did a full write-up on the Hybrid model. It is very complex in its powertrain layout....FAR more so than in the old Honda IMA setup. Like some Lexus hybrids, it uses one large gas engine and three smaller electric motors......but with rear independent torque-vectoring, a twin-clutch transmission, and the front electric motor on the opposite end of the transaxle from the gas engine. They devote almost one full page of typing on just how the system operates in its complexity. Makes for some interesting reading, but I'm not sure I'd want to have something that complex past its warranty period.
Old 06-29-14, 05:56 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car should have been launched with the hybrid model ready to go. Acura completely dropped the ball on that. No one is going to buy the hybrid anyway if and when it does become available for purchase because the newness of this car has already worn off and its going to be way overpriced compared to other luxury hybrids. This car was already DOA as soon as it launched. This wont help change that. The RLX line is in serious trouble and Acura has got to be concerned.
Old 06-29-14, 06:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Both the Acura and BMW driver need a parking refreher course.
Well, that's just the way some people park when their new cars don't come with body-side moldings.
Old 06-29-14, 06:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I thought both had a good sense of style (no side moldings) but poor parking skills.
Old 06-29-14, 07:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That's really sad news about the RLX Hybrid. While I have no hope for the exterior or interior design, I thought it's one saving grace may be this 370hp SH-AWD Hybrid powertrain to be debuted on the RLX and perfected in future Acura products
Old 06-30-14, 05:51 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That's really sad news about the RLX Hybrid. While I have no hope for the exterior or interior design, I thought it's one saving grace may be this 370hp SH-AWD Hybrid powertrain to be debuted on the RLX and perfected in future Acura products
scrap the RLX hybrid completely and drop the powertrain in the TLX !!!

they're discounting the RLX's a little bit....(w/tech pkg too)
dealer link
Attached Thumbnails Review: 2014 Acura RLX-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 06-30-14 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-30-14, 06:22 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^ 40k for RLX is a steal. Accord can reach that.
Old 06-30-14, 07:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$15k discount?!
Old 06-30-14, 10:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
This car should have been launched with the hybrid model ready to go.
Pretty much. Launching an underpowered FWD model is not the best way to promote your flagship. Once people see the mediocre spec and the crazy MSRP, they're no longer interested in the car. By the time the hybrid is for sale, the RLX would have already been crossed off the buyer's list.
Old 06-30-14, 12:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Pretty much. Launching an underpowered FWD model is not the best way to promote your flagship. Once people see the mediocre spec and the crazy MSRP, they're no longer interested in the car. By the time the hybrid is for sale, the RLX would have already been crossed off the buyer's list.
The hybrid starts at 60K, mainly because of its advanced complex powertrain and battery-pack (a V6, dual-clutch transaxle, and 3 electric motors). But the standard FWD model is considerably less expensive, starting at about the same price as the last-generation RL........ 48K.
Old 06-30-14, 12:33 PM
LexFather

The crazy thing is even at 40k, I don't think many would buy it.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The hybrid starts at 60K, mainly because of its advanced complex power train and battery-pack (a V6, dual-clutch transaxle, and 3 electric motors). But the standard FWD model is considerably less expensive, starting at about the same price as the last-generation RL........ 48K.
The hybrid has no pricing announced and will be closer to 70k. A loaded RLX today is over 60k.

Acura lost their "value" argument/proposition. . The RL for 48k was fully loaded with SH-AWD. The RLX for 48k comes with fake leather, no options and is FWD. lol wut

I stated a longtime ago that hanging hopes on the hybrid is silly since volume would be low. Sounds like less than 300 cars coming will be hybrids. Not even sure why they bothered at this point with the car.

Old 06-30-14, 01:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexFather
The crazy thing is even at 40k, I don't think many would buy it.
Well, I agree you do have some precedence to say that. The last RL, even with its tank-like construction, precise assembly, superb SH-AWD system, and excellent reliability, mostly sat on lots and collected dust and bird-droppings.....sometimes even with strong dealer/manufacturer rebates. The ones that DID sell usually did for a heavy discount.

We've all, of course, discussed most of the reasons why it didn't sell. Most of us agree on those reasons, but that still didn't mean it wasn't a well-made car.

The hybrid has no pricing announced and will be closer to 70k. A loaded RLX today is over 60k.
As of now, you are correct that the official hybrid price has not been announced. I used the (estimated) 60K that some of the RLX Hybrid reviews are posting....but that is not final. But I would be surprised if it was listed at any less than the GS Hybrid ($60,800), considering that the RLX is considered a flagship (even if in some ways it is not) and the GS is one step below the Lexus LS flagship.

Acura lost their "value" argument/proposition. . The RL for 48k was fully loaded with SH-AWD. The RLX for 48k comes with fake leather, no options and is FWD.
No arguments there. I was a fan of the RL. So far, based on what I have seen and read, I'm not a fan of the RLX, though I have a CL-member review-request, will do a full-review on one (probably a non-hybrid) and I'll receive any further comment on what I actually come up with in the review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-30-14 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-30-14, 01:53 PM
1JZsoarer
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still can't believe how they (Acura/Honda)still come out with new cars with old technologies (10+years) and expect to sell cars in an ever more competing car market. Flagship car with still the same V6? Six-speed automatic transmission? No wonder this car doesn't sell. Even if it ''does'' the job, nowadays people need to have something to brag about, and they simply don't get it with any of Acura's offerings.

Quick Reply: Review: 2014 Acura RLX