Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda reveals three new turbo VTEC engines, including Civic Type R 2.0L

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 06:34 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf

Here is one pic from Tokyo auto show today I think.

Guess who is at helm of Toyota and Honda respectively.

Wont be hard
Lol what a pic, Akio Toyoda upstaging Ito at his own press conference.

Just look at Ito's face though, it screams arrogance and stubbornness. Just seeing that picture of his face makes me angry. Akio Toyoda's presence in photos though is calming and makes one smile.

Originally Posted by GSteg
Type R models were always about 'less is more'. AWD is going to add weight, period.
Honda's entire corporate philosophy is about "less is more". Thank god I gave up this company and their products a long time ago.
Old 11-21-13, 06:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Toyota, which has no turbos in its lineup, will use turbocharged engines across its portfolio, with possible displacements spanning the 1.0- to 1.5-liter range, said Satoshi Ogiso, managing officer in charge of alternative vehicles, powertrains and chassis development.

The company's first turbo since the 1980s is expected to arrive next year. It will be a 2.0-liter powerplant offered in the Lexus compact crossover to be styled after the LF-NX, Ogiso said.

"In the near future we will use downsized turbochargers, also in the Toyota lineup," Ogiso said.

He said the Toyota brand will get turbocharging within a couple of years, but was not specific.

Toyota nameplates will use the technology to improve fuel economy, while Lexus will rely on it more for boosting low-end torque from engines with smaller displacements, Ogiso said.

A 1.4-liter turbo standing in for a 2.0-liter naturally aspirated engine can deliver a 5 percent increase in fuel economy, Ogiso estimated. Fuel economy gains are bigger when turbo engines are combined with manual transmissions than with automatics, he said.

Toyota likely will make a detailed announcement about its turbo strategy in the coming year, partly as a response to Honda's planned turbo push, Ogiso said.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...#ixzz2lKnQEzot
Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
Wanted to post this here about Toyota's plans... so they also plan engines and they estimate 5% better mpg than 2.0l NA engine... probably better torque too.
Old 11-24-13, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
Whenever any company or brand becomes too Americanised with a significant American management influence, quality and engineering go down for the sake of shareholder profit.
that might be the dumbest thing i've read in a long time.

boeing, johnson and johnson, proctor and gamble, tesla, google, microsoft, hewlett packard, starbucks, to name a few very solid american brands.
Old 11-24-13, 09:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

boeing, johnson and johnson, proctor and gamble, tesla, google, microsoft, hewlett packard, starbucks, to name a few very solid american brands.
Not to get into too many specifics, but some of those companies are only former shells of what they once were, especially Boeing. They're not what they used to be. Also including HP in there is questionable, although the others are definitely solid companies.

I think a fair point to make is that many of American's top companies have adopted many "Eastern style" management philosophies and corporate techniques.
Old 11-24-13, 10:28 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Since when is burnt coffee considered quality coffee? Overpriced burnt coffee is what starbucks is.

But this was not what I meant. All American care about is money and continues profit growth all the time. Absolutley no regards to improvements, loyalty, philosophy etc. It's all about money, money, money and profit. Cutting costs here & there. Enough of that.

Sure that's how it is with all other companies around the world but the American companies push it too far.

And let's face it whatever cost is cut usually at the the expense of the customer (lower quality priduct at a higher price) or from the lower end workers is fed right back into to the pockets of the upper management, CEOs, CFOs etc

Last edited by yowps3; 11-25-13 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-24-13, 11:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
All American care about is money and continues profit growth all the time. Absolutley no regards to improvements, loyalty, philosophy etc. It's all about money, money, money and profit. Cutting costs here & there. Enough of that.
i see you're in australia, is that right? your comment is the equivalent of me saying all australians think about is beer and kangaroos.

but first off, to agree partially, businesses exist to make money. that's true everywhere. businesses that want to stay around a long time have to think about continuous improvements, productivity, customer loyalty, the trade-offs of demands by customers, shareholders, and employees, branding, product/service quality/value, etc.

i will also agree partially in that i've met people who are definitely all about money and little else. they typically don't last or just flit from one venture to the next.

Sure that's how it is with all other companies around the world but the American companies push it too far.
what do you base that on? and don't you think that's too broad a generalization?

And let's face it whatever cost is cut usually at the the expense of the customer (lower quality priduct at a higher price) or from the lower end workers is fed right back into to the pockets ofvthe upper management, CEOs, CFOs etc
about quality, we've seen corner cutting on all continents at various times.

finally, unless you've been in their shoes or right up close, i don't think you have much to base your criticism of big company execs on.
Old 11-25-13, 12:20 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

i see you're in australia, is that right? your comment is the equivalent of me saying all australians think about is beer and kangaroos.

but first off, to agree partially, businesses exist to make money. that's true everywhere. businesses that want to stay around a long time have to think about continuous improvements, productivity, customer loyalty, the trade-offs of demands by customers, shareholders, and employees, branding, product/service quality/value, etc.

i will also agree partially in that i've met people who are definitely all about money and little else. they typically don't last or just flit from one venture to the next.

what do you base that on? and don't you think that's too broad a generalization?

about quality, we've seen corner cutting on all continents at various times.

finally, unless you've been in their shoes or right up close, i don't think you have much to base your criticism of big company execs on.
Consider this. Akio Toyoda only took $2million salary in 2012, despite Toyota Motor Co being the biggest and most profitable auto company in the world.

Where as Ford's Alan Mulally took home $21million. What makes him worth that much?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/238108/t...tive-big-five/
Old 11-25-13, 04:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I would say apple especially.

I am not sure if in today's world, we should generalize about such things. Japanese companies also delivered some crap products, and American companies deliver some top product. Maybe if we would generalize, we could say that Japan still delivers most reliable product in any category, but thats still generalization, if you purchased something just because it is from Japan, you would likely be wrong.

However, at the same time, company's are run very differently. I have worked for Toyota and Hyundai in Europe, and their approach to selling cars is exactly opposite to such extreme that people would not trust me if I told them :-)