Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 09:21 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

do they really have to make the hood SO high?
Old 11-21-13, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Rugged and Modern little thing. Would like to see a Xtreme or SS version of this.
Old 11-21-13, 03:26 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I've read a lot about pending pedestrian safety regulations calling for increased hood height. So you can probably thank that for this design result.
Old 11-21-13, 03:27 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's assuming they have one in the works that can compete. No idea about the taco, but the rumor mill for the Frontier suggests that it will not be revamped to the point where it will be able to compete with this thing.
I imagine Toyota won't let the segment leader fade away. And rumor is Frontier may re-merge with their international platform as well.
Old 11-21-13, 03:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This will make the Tacoma and Frontier quite irrelevant.
Are you nuts or just out of your mind, or both? The Toyota Tacoma has a loyal following that goes back a very long time. The current one is not the greatest right now because it is an older design. The next gen Tacoma will be a class leader that is for sure.
Old 11-21-13, 04:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
I've read a lot about pending pedestrian safety regulations calling for increased hood height. So you can probably thank that for this design result.
dude, thats for low hood sports cars... not for trucks, it would be opposite for them as this thing will hit you right in the head.

for cars they are making it that there has to be some distance between engine and hood for absorbtion purposes, when body hits the hood... For instance, IS300h has pop-up hood in Europe because of that.

But there is no way you will hit the hood of this thing, you will be run over by it
Old 11-21-13, 05:10 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
This is exactly how the new Silverado should have looked. Instead they went to early 80's styling with blocky stacked headlights.
Agreed. This is the truck Chevy should have built five years ago. The revised Colorado will haul or tow about anything 99% of pickup owners actually use their vehicle for. My daughter's 4X4 Dakota Sport is a fine size, but thanks to it's antiquity, gets about the same mileage out of its 3.9L V6 as the full size 2WD Ram with the V8. It's a nice size, if a little snug for my 3XL frame. I'm sure the extended cab offers more room. I had driven a customer's tricked-out early 90's Dakota Limited Edition Crew Cab all over West Texas for a few days when it was new and I was perfectly comfortable behind the wheel. I guess I'm just not cut out for the "shotgun" position - or a "Sport" suspension on a truck. In more modern mid-size trucks, refinement has finally arrived to produce a better ride, better fuel numbers, all with the same forged steel reliability of our old warhorse.

My daughter's cowboy Cadillac is REALLY stiff - even for a 4X4 because of the large hauling capacity of this truck is pretty close to that of the Ram. But if a rough road has you playing a two-cushion shot with your skull against the roof, it all smooths out on the highway. The thing is practically indestructible as my daughter managed to slam into the back end of a Bentley this fall after Mr. Gotrocks cut her off in traffic. She came away with only a tiny bit of white paint on her black bumper as a souvenir. The luxoboat was pretty well crumpled aft of the rear axle, but the Dakota only needs a new front license plate. The thing's a tank.

Mini-pickups were never well received here in Texas - first because they didn't have the requisite machismo of a full-size pickup, and second, they were designed by and for Asians in their home market and a few Europeans that are a couple sizes smaller than our rangy cowboys. I rode for 3 hours in a P'up (Chevy/Isuzu) pounding my way over to Louisiana early in the trucklet's development cycle, and could barely get my knees out from under my chin upon arrival in Lake Charles. Too bad it would be years before American truck builders saw the problem in that. The Dakota's not exactly spacious, but with a little wiggling I can find a relatively comfortable position within even on the passenger's side. Another reason these mid-size and mini pickups were not well received, was that the anticipated mileage never lived up to the truck's dimensional sacrifices.

Maybe, with the diesel I-4, even with that blunt nose can actually creep over the 20mpg barrier and please a few new urban cowboys.
Old 11-21-13, 05:14 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice looking exterior, but that interior......holy crap
Old 11-21-13, 06:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exterior looks good and bad at the same time. It looks disproportionate and too tall.
The interior is just atrocious.

I expect the next-gen Tacoma that's coming soon to easily beat this and remain class leader.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Agreed. The exterior has potential, but what ruins it for me is the REALLY high bed and front end, which makes the truck look goofy, like some cheap knock-off design.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Also yes this 2.8L Turbodiesel is the greatest thing to come to this segment in a long time. Low 30s mpg possible I presume. Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline eat your heart out.
Don't jump for joy yet, that turbodiesel won't be out until the 2nd year of production, so quite a long while away still.

This will make the Tacoma and Frontier quite irrelevant.
Tacoma? Irrelevant? LOL there are some serious comedians posting here.

Do you even know what you're talking about?
Old 11-22-13, 01:06 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Don't jump for joy yet, that turbodiesel won't be out until the 2nd year of production, so quite a long while away still.
The fact that it's coming is a comforting feeling nonetheless
Old 11-22-13, 04:53 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that it's coming is a comforting feeling nonetheless
Yes, I will give GM credit for the fact they're introducing it at least .
Not too sure what the real benefit will be, given the difference in gas and diesel prices.
Also something to keep in mind is that Toyota has been working on a heavy duty hybrid system for pickups for years now, and it could debut either with the next-gen Tundra or next-gen Tacoma. A heavy-duty hybrid would suddenly change the competitive situation versus turbodiesels.

One more thing to keep in mind is that Toyota's commercial truck subsidiary Hino has tons of experience with heavy-duty hybrids.
Old 11-22-13, 11:28 AM
Hoovey689

Yes, I will give GM credit for the fact they're introducing it at least .
Not too sure what the real benefit will be, given the difference in gas and diesel prices.
Also something to keep in mind is that Toyota has been working on a heavy duty hybrid system for pickups for years now, and it could debut either with the next-gen Tundra or next-gen Tacoma. A heavy-duty hybrid would suddenly change the competitive situation versus turbodiesels.

One more thing to keep in mind is that Toyota's commercial truck subsidiary Hino has tons of experience with heavy-duty hybrids.
That's true and they worked with Ford for a while on it. Two of the best companies for Hybrids and Trucks. That said, I think a heavy duty hybrid is going to be extremely expensive. They would sell at GSh rates rather than ESh rates. GM experiemented with those two-mode Tahoe/Yukon/Silverado/Sierra Hybrids with marginal fuel increases, lower tow ratings, and an inflated price. Chrysler did as well with that limited run Aspen SUV. That said, personally I don't think the image will resonate well this time around either unless the price is within reason. Unlike a Keurig Coffee Maker, Rolex or Craftsmen Wrench, Trucks are not appliances nor accessories to people who use trucks for being a truck. These are "men's horses" so to speak albeit more modern. They want to know they have horsepower rather than battery power.
Old 11-22-13, 06:22 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
dude, thats for low hood sports cars... not for trucks, it would be opposite for them as this thing will hit you right in the head.

for cars they are making it that there has to be some distance between engine and hood for absorbtion purposes, when body hits the hood... For instance, IS300h has pop-up hood in Europe because of that.

But there is no way you will hit the hood of this thing, you will be run over by it
"Dude" there are implications for trucks too, not just sports cars. Such as design elements to keep you from being run over. There was a supplier booth talking about elements for larger trucks that would basically try to route a pedestrian up and onto the hood, rather than get pulled under the front end of a truck.
Old 11-22-13, 07:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

That's true and they worked with Ford for a while on it. Two of the best companies for Hybrids and Trucks. That said, I think a heavy duty hybrid is going to be extremely expensive. They would sell at GSh rates rather than ESh rates. GM experiemented with those two-mode Tahoe/Yukon/Silverado/Sierra Hybrids with marginal fuel increases, lower tow ratings, and an inflated price. Chrysler did as well with that limited run Aspen SUV. That said, personally I don't think the image will resonate well this time around either unless the price is within reason. Unlike a Keurig Coffee Maker, Rolex or Craftsmen Wrench, Trucks are not appliances nor accessories to people who use trucks for being a truck. These are "men's horses" so to speak albeit more modern. They want to know they have horsepower rather than battery power.
Toyota worked with Ford only for a bit, they split up that partnership and are separately working on their own systems now.

The GM two-way hybrid systems were a flop for many reasons, Toyota won't be making those mistakes.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here. You should research Hino's commercial truck diesel hybrid system, it gives a hint as to what kind of hybrid system Toyota pickups might use. Hino's system is much different than Toyota's HSD in their cars and quite different than GM's Two Mode hybrids as well .

http://www.hino.com/trucks/story_1138.php

Hino is the world leader in commercial hybrid vehicles whether it's trucks or buses. Their hybrid commercial vehicles have racked up tens of millions of miles of rock solid reliable operation. The Hino hybrid system also improves the fuel economy significantly, we're talking a 30-50% fuel economy improvement over regular diesel engines.

As for cost we'll see.

My point is that Toyota has a huge amount of hybrid heavy truck experience with their Hino subsidiary, and I'm sure they're using that experience to help them make a hybrid system for pickups and large SUVs.

If cost is reasonable, fuel economy savings big, and work capability is not any worse then I think Toyota's hybrid pickups and large SUVs will sell.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how close the system ends up being compared to Hino's system.
Old 11-22-13, 11:03 PM
Hoovey689

Toyota worked with Ford only for a bit, they split up that partnership and are separately working on their own systems now.

The GM two-way hybrid systems were a flop for many reasons, Toyota won't be making those mistakes.

I think you're jumping to conclusions here. You should research Hino's commercial truck diesel hybrid system, it gives a hint as to what kind of hybrid system Toyota pickups might use. Hino's system is much different than Toyota's HSD in their cars and quite different than GM's Two Mode hybrids as well .

http://www.hino.com/trucks/story_1138.php

Hino is the world leader in commercial hybrid vehicles whether it's trucks or buses. Their hybrid commercial vehicles have racked up tens of millions of miles of rock solid reliable operation. The Hino hybrid system also improves the fuel economy significantly, we're talking a 30-50% fuel economy improvement over regular diesel engines.

As for cost we'll see.

My point is that Toyota has a huge amount of hybrid heavy truck experience with their Hino subsidiary, and I'm sure they're using that experience to help them make a hybrid system for pickups and large SUVs.

If cost is reasonable, fuel economy savings big, and work capability is not any worse then I think Toyota's hybrid pickups and large SUVs will sell.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how close the system ends up being compared to Hino's system.
It's all good and I wish them luck but pricing worries me. Not to mention you're still left with Americans who when it comes to domestic trucks, will hardly budge for a foreign badge (yes the truck itself is made here) much less a hybrid version. Only time will tell

Quick Reply: Official 2015 Chevrolet Colorado Thread