Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How much power is the 3AE-FTE gonna have?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 04:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

lol, 2 oil line failures for engine that has sold in millions?

are you kidding me.

Old 11-22-13, 04:40 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
I drive the "top of the line" 1.8T in the TT of the day. Someone nailed it on here, VW/Audi uses so much plastic it all just fails after 70k miles. I've had to replace every coolant elbow which just leak, three PLASTIC water pumps, every plastic clip, pretty much every plastic sensor form maf to coils... basically the 1.8T's are just not durable. My varient has iron block , forged internals from factory (AMU) and a weak ignition system to go with it all, total failure of an engine. Don't get me started on the poor sap who translated 100,000KM for a timing belt replacement into 100,000miles in the service manual, because all the belts snap at 60k and result in massive repair bills.

It seems Hyundai is getting dinged now for their turbo power plant. The Supra and MR2 were the only turbo plants worth a damn, Mitsubishi 3000GTs crap, Eclipse ok, RX7 oh my god are you kidding me crap... I've never wanted a Merican' V8, but after the souless turbo plants I've been wrenching on I think its time for some torque.
Spot on. The block may be an iron block, but everything else around the engine and connected to it is crap.
Old 11-22-13, 04:53 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

I drive the "top of the line" 1.8T in the TT of the day. Someone nailed it on here, VW/Audi uses so much plastic it all just fails after 70k miles. I've had to replace every coolant elbow which just leak, three PLASTIC water pumps, every plastic clip, pretty much every plastic sensor form maf to coils... basically the 1.8T's are just not durable. My varient has iron block , forged internals from factory (AMU) and a weak ignition system to go with it all, total failure of an engine. Don't get me started on the poor sap who translated 100,000KM for a timing belt replacement into 100,000miles in the service manual, because all the belts snap at 60k and result in massive repair bills.

It seems Hyundai is getting dinged now for their turbo power plant. The Supra and MR2 were the only turbo plants worth a damn, Mitsubishi 3000GTs crap, Eclipse ok, RX7 oh my god are you kidding me crap... I've never wanted a Merican' V8, but after the souless turbo plants I've been wrenching on I think its time for some torque.
Thankyou! And yeah at least you understand my point of view!
Old 11-22-13, 05:59 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
lol, 2 oil line failures for engine that has sold in millions?

are you kidding me.

omfg dude!!!!

This was a huge issue. You'd have to be completely BLIND hanging out on a Toyota/Lexus forum to have not heard about it. Tons of them failed. Lots of black dots in "Engine Major" in Consumer Reports reliability data also due to engine failures when the hose went. This was a major black eye for Toyota a few years ago.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 11-22-13 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 06:11 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

lol ouch... But what about the actual turbo-related engine hardware? How has that held up? What year and mileage?
Old 11-22-13, 07:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
omfg dude!!!!

This was a huge issue. You'd have to be completely BLIND hanging out on a Toyota/Lexus forum to have not heard about it. Tons of them failed. Lots of black dots in "Engine Major" in Consumer Reports reliability data also due to engine failures when the hose went. This was a major black eye for Toyota a few years ago.
as I said, GR series sold millions, define "tons". Was it bigger than BMW's HPFP failures?

It was definetly not a "major black eye".

You are probably one of the ten people in the world that thinks GR is a bad engine.

It is probably the best engine Toyota has built when it comes to reliability.
Old 11-22-13, 10:27 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

as I said, GR series sold millions, define "tons". Was it bigger than BMW's HPFP failures?

You are probably one of the ten people in the world that thinks GR is a bad engine.

This.

SteVTEC is living in his own little world where the GR series of engines is as problematic as the BMW N55 series of engines.

Fact : BMW N55 problems was real and catastrophic requiring BMW to make major modifications to the engine

Wishful Thinking : SteVTEC hoping a few isolated problems in the Toyota GR after nearly a decade of sales and in millions of cars on the road can be blown all out of proportion just so that BMW won't feel lonely sitting on that N55 mess and in his mind allowing BMW some measure of equality in the engine reliability stakes.
Old 11-22-13, 11:15 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

FACT: The oil hose recall affected tons of vehicles.
FACT: the engines GRENADE themselves when the oil hose blows
FACT: The problems WERE widespread
FACT: That's backed up by CR data which showed black dots for "engine major" on numerous 2GR powered Toyota vehicles for a number of years.
FACT: You're as blind as they come and are fundamentally incapable of ever admitting to any sort of fault or flaw in any Toyota ever.

You speak for yourself in your own delusional little world and not for anybody else. Never said that. I think it's a decent engine, but there are PLENTY of decent V-6 engines out there including ones that I believe are a lot better.

Then why are they blowing VVT-i OIL HOSES and to this day they continue to blow WATER PUMPS at an alarming rate.

I just checked CR data. Lots of water pump failures.

There's no sense in having any sort of further discussion with you here.
Old 11-22-13, 11:25 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by natnut
This.
The fact that you agree with him, "THE" most clueless member of this forum, tells me that you're just as clueless by association.

SteVTEC is living in his own little world where the GR series of engines is as problematic as the BMW N55 series of engines.

Fact : BMW N55 problems was real and catastrophic requiring BMW to make major modifications to the engine
LOL!

First off, the HPFP issues were not "catastrophic". The fuel pump fails, the car goes into limp mode, and you can either baby it to a dealership or have it towed. The fuel pump is the only thing that fails. It's replaced and that's that.

When the 2GR oil hose goes it takes the entire engine with it, in addition to making a giant ole mess of your engine bay. THAT'S CATASTROPHIC!

And it wasn't even the N55. It was the N54.

Right, so a BMW losing a fuel pump with no other damage is catastrophic, but a blown oil hose on a Toyota that takes the WHOLE ENGINE with it isn't.

asdf....tilt.... lol

Wishful Thinking : SteVTEC hoping a few isolated problems in the Toyota GR after nearly a decade of sales and in millions of cars on the road can be blown all out of proportion
FACT: the problems were not isolated
FACT: CR data backs that up
FACT: water pumps continue to fail at a "widespread rate"

just so that BMW won't feel lonely sitting on that N55 mess and in his mind allowing BMW some measure of equality in the engine reliability stakes.
If spwolf thinks the 2GR is the most reliable engine ever made then I don't know what to say. CATASTROPHIC oil hose failures and water pump failures. Toyota must have made some real ****ty engines then. Old school Toyota engines just went and never had BS problems like these. I'm talking S-series 4-cylinders. My buddy had head bolt problems on his AZ-powered Solara, which is also not exactly an "isolated" issue. The 1MZ we have in our Highlander is solid as a rock and never had BS problems like these either. Let's not forget about sludge issues either, but whatever. Keep believing whatever you want to though. Oh yeah everything Toyota builds is always perfect and never has any issues ever..... sure.

Peace out.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 11-22-13 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-22-13, 11:54 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The text is getting bigger 0.o

"That's not a knife!"
Old 11-22-13, 12:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

You speak for yourself in your own delusional little world and not for anybody else.
down to personal insults? Yay.

You are not worth responding to anymore dude, live long and prosper

Last edited by spwolf; 11-22-13 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-22-13, 05:02 PM
iggyhop9
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Back to the topic at hand, this Toyota/Lexus 2.0 turbo will come in both FWD and RWD guise, as evidenced by the already well known trademarks NX200t and GS 200t/RC 200t. I assume an IS200t will arrive for 2016, as well as a CT200t. Purely speculative on my part. Helps balance out the cost of those new engines to use them in as many applications as possible.

My question is, following the Toyota pattern, is the FWD version of the mill going to lack DI/D4S like the Camry, RX, and ES do when compared to their RWD brethen; Lexus IS and GS?

Meaning maybe we see a 210/220hp mill for the FWD models and a 240/250 hp mill for the RWD models? Thoughts?
Old 11-22-13, 10:31 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the 22nd. Where's the new engine reveal?
Old 11-23-13, 02:34 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iggyhop9
Back to the topic at hand, this Toyota/Lexus 2.0 turbo will come in both FWD and RWD guise, as evidenced by the already well known trademarks NX200t and GS 200t/RC 200t. I assume an IS200t will arrive for 2016, as well as a CT200t. Purely speculative on my part. Helps balance out the cost of those new engines to use them in as many applications as possible.

My question is, following the Toyota pattern, is the FWD version of the mill going to lack DI/D4S like the Camry, RX, and ES do when compared to their RWD brethen; Lexus IS and GS?

Meaning maybe we see a 210/220hp mill for the FWD models and a 240/250 hp mill for the RWD models? Thoughts?
We don't really know at this point. The Lexus 2.0T could very well be a Lexus-only engine in North America or worldwide. Toyota models may get their different turbo engines. Or, Toyota models might get variants of the 2.0T Lexus engine.

We'll have to see what happens.
Old 11-24-13, 10:17 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

lol ouch... But what about the actual turbo-related engine hardware? How has that held up? What year and mileage?
2002, 110k miles currently....lets start: turbo bearing went out at 90k, pretty typical from all brands IMHO, so new turbo went in. Wastegate actuator was tired at 90k too. Lets see what else, new N75 boost controller solinoid, new maf, new coils, two sets of plugs, new downpipe (stock crack at flex pipe due to heat), new oil lines (they clog up because the oil drips back in, common failure point, leads to bearing wear in turbo which is amplified if synthetic oil wasn't used by the previous owner every single time, doubtful in today's quickie lube oil changes). Every single hose clamp, the entire PCV system all cracked due to turbo heat, and most of the vacuum hoses due again to the elevated turbo heat of the engine bay. The only thing I haven't had fail is the intercoolers. There are a whole host of other problems but thats just Audi/VW of the era (cluster failure, flakey switches). Oh almost forgot the $18 a piece turbo exhaust manifold bolts X3 with the turbo manifold gasket... god the more I think of it, pretty much everything has failed...German auto parts aren't cheap either... and finding a competent mechanic is hit or miss... and the good ones who know Audi's....impossible

I basically have owned the car from 78k - 110k and have an inch thick stack of reciepts of parts that have failed. I'm currently trying to dump the car....beautiful car, terrible reliability.

Last edited by toy4two; 11-24-13 at 10:25 PM.