Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes working on new inline-six engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-13, 09:23 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

V6 engines are shorter than I6 engines so their crankshafts are shorter also, which means that they are less prone to flexing compared to the same-displacement inline-6 engines.

Inline-6 engines, however, are naturally balanced so are great smooth, refined engines without need for balance shafts (that larger I4 and 90-degree V6 engines need). That is why it was surprising when BMW announced that they would produce V6 engines.,
Old 11-13-13, 10:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the inline-six is better compared to the V6...........but takes up more space.

So how do you think MB will solve these space constraints?

Also, what about flat or horizontally-opposed engines? (the ones that are used by Porsche and Subaru)
Old 11-13-13, 11:18 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
V6 engines are shorter than I6 engines so their crankshafts are shorter also, which means that they are less prone to flexing compared to the same-displacement inline-6 engines.

Inline-6 engines, however, are naturally balanced so are great smooth, refined engines without need for balance shafts (that larger I4 and 90-degree V6 engines need). That is why it was surprising when BMW announced that they would produce V6 engines.,
wat?

10 chars
Old 11-13-13, 11:20 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
So the inline-six is better compared to the V6...........but takes up more space.

So how do you think MB will solve these space constraints?

Also, what about flat or horizontally-opposed engines? (the ones that are used by Porsche and Subaru)
Neither I-6 or V-6 are better than the other, just different. V-6 has plenty of advantages. I-6 certainly has the smoothness and charisma though. I'm guessing MB won't plan to offer the I-6 in their smaller cars, like the new CLA or their A-class vehicles. Probably just C-class and higher, but with the way things are going maybe only the E-class or higher. Who knows.
Old 11-13-13, 02:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
V-6 engines have been favored by the industry because they take up a lot less space, can easily be deployed in both transverse and longitudinal mounted applications, and have greater flexibility in displacement. And if they're designed with a 90-degree V angle you can share the architecture with V-8 engines, which is exactly what Mercedes had done for awhile. But a 90-degree V6 requires a balance shaft, which isn't ideal. 60-degree V6 engines are preferred and narrower and don't require a balance shaft, but still have end-to-end vibrations. Most people are pretty happy with V-6 engines, but they're not as refined and lack the character of Inline-6 engines, imho. If V-8 engines are becoming less popular in favor of a heavier mix of 4 and 6-cylinder engines, and most of your cars are designed for longitudinally mounted engines where an Inline-6 is more feasible, then a common architecture between I-3, I-4, and I-6 makes sense. When it comes to turbocharging, an Inline engine is also preferred as it makes the plumbing easier and more packaging friendly overall.
Excellent explaination
Old 11-13-13, 02:38 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Neither I-6 or V-6 are better than the other, just different. V-6 has plenty of advantages. I-6 certainly has the smoothness and charisma though. I'm guessing MB won't plan to offer the I-6 in their smaller cars, like the new CLA or their A-class vehicles. Probably just C-class and higher, but with the way things are going maybe only the E-class or higher. Who knows.
I'm sure you're right about the C-Class+, but then the article is also stating that the advantage to creating the I6 is that they can spin 3 and 4 cylinder variations of that engine into smaller models.

On a personal note, I'm willing to go down to turbo 4's someday but 3 just throws me for a loop. I'm not a fan of odd cylinder engines
Old 11-13-13, 04:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm sure you're right about the C-Class+, but then the article is also stating that the advantage to creating the I6 is that they can spin 3 and 4 cylinder variations of that engine into smaller models.

On a personal note, I'm willing to go down to turbo 4's someday but 3 just throws me for a loop. I'm not a fan of odd cylinder engines
I don't think MB is about to use any 3 cylinder on any of its models outside of SMART.