Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-13, 08:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Mmarshall has not sat in the new CTS. The new CTS is in a whole different league than the older CTS model or any GM product for that matter. As for the CUE, it works well and fine, you just have to get used to it.
I agree about the whole different league from the older CTS, and almost all other GM products, but IMHO material quality and polish is better in the XTS.

But seriously, anybody who says the inside of the new CTS is not as nice as the previous CTS hasn't sat in the new CTS I agree.

As for CUE, the system has issues that go beyond just "getting used to it". You get used to the menu interfaces and all, but there is a lot of lag in transmitting button presses both in the CUE screen and on the haptic control panels. I know a couple people with the XTS and they continue to curse the system regularly. It will get better as they refine it, much as with MyFordTouch, and perhaps software upgrades can help but purchasers right now are going to have issues.
Old 11-24-13, 09:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I agree about the whole different league from the older CTS, and almost all other GM products, but IMHO material quality and polish is better in the XTS.

But seriously, anybody who says the inside of the new CTS is not as nice as the previous CTS hasn't sat in the new CTS I agree.

As for CUE, the system has issues that go beyond just "getting used to it". You get used to the menu interfaces and all, but there is a lot of lag in transmitting button presses both in the CUE screen and on the haptic control panels. I know a couple people with the XTS and they continue to curse the system regularly. It will get better as they refine it, much as with MyFordTouch, and perhaps software upgrades can help but purchasers right now are going to have issues.
You have not had much experience with My Ford Touch, I have had a lot of experience with the system as I have had a weekly rental cars for a while. It works fine once you get used to it. And too be honest, I prefer it over the remote touch in my CTS.
Old 11-24-13, 10:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You have not had much experience with My Ford Touch, I have had a lot of experience with the system as I have had a weekly rental cars for a while. It works fine once you get used to it. And too be honest, I prefer it over the remote touch in my CTS.
I never said anything derogatory about MyFordTouch, but it is a fact that it has been refined through hardware and software upgrades since it first came out. It was glitchy, crashy, etc. Much maligned as CUE is now. I have driven multiple vehicles with MyFordTouch, both Fords and Lincolns.

As for your CT, you have the old remote touch so that doesn't surprise me. Now that I'm used to the second gen RTC in my GS I quite like it over the touch screen, which we also have in the Jeep. The two systems aren't really comparable as Lexus's system is not an all encompassing management system like MyFordTouch or CUE. The RTC is simply a method of manipulating the screen, not a "system".
Old 11-24-13, 09:44 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Here's the last CTS interior. I think it looks a LOT better than the new one....and, of course, it doesn't have either the annoying CUE system or those awkward finger-slide strips on the lower-dash.

Material quality aside, from a purely styling point-of-view, I agree that it looks much better than the new CTS interior.

Less touch screen controls and no CUE automatically make it a better interior in my eyes.
Old 11-28-13, 09:56 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Here's the last CTS interior. I think it looks a LOT better than the new one....and, of course, it doesn't have either the annoying CUE system or those awkward finger-slide strips on the lower-dash.

I like the design of the previous CTS interior much more too, the two separate temp control screens canted to the driver and passenger are a nice touch and unlike the current one it has buttons and ***** which are far more intuitive then touch screens/pads but the quality when you actually touched the surfaces and felt the materials in the older CTS were not very good. That cheap hunk of silver plastic around the dash was really bad, when you pressed it in you could hear it creaking which means it is thin hard cheap material not fitted very well. I have not sat in the new CTS yet but I don't like the interior design especially with that CUE touch system. I was in a new XTS a few weeks ago, the interior was okay but the touch controls are extremely annoying and just pointlessly complicated, they did not always respond when I tapped them and the feedback was not pleasing not to mention all the fingerprints, just a terrible trend automakers seem to be moving to with their interiors because of the popularity of smart phones. Give me buttons and switches anytime, even if there is a lot of them.
Old 11-30-13, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Mmarshall has not sat in the new CTS.
True, but the XTS and ATS, which I recently did full-reviews on, have much of the same interior hardware....where I found mixed results. And, yes, I will check out the inside of the new CTS at the D.C. auto show in January, if not at the Caddy shop beforehand.

I admit I did some personal comparison of the 2Gen/3Gen CTS interiors just from the pictures. But, still, my opinion is not alone....even from others who have sat in a new CTS. And, compared th the awful 1Gen CTS (there is simply no other word to describe it) both the 2 and 3Gen interiors are indeed vast improvements.

he new CTS is in a whole different league than the older CTS model or any GM product for that matter.
We'll see.

As for the CUE, it works well and fine, you just have to get used to it.
Well, apparantly, a lot of people (and Cadillac owners) across the country aren't getting used to it. It ranks up there with the Ford MyTouch/SYNC system in customer complaints. Consumer Reports has also criticized it..as have most of the auto-enthusiast mags .

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-30-13, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I admit I did some personal comparison of the 2Gen/3Gen CTS interiors just from the pictures. But, still, my opinion is not alone....even from others who have sat in a new CTS.
Where? From people who don't own the previous CTS?

Having sat in and driven both generations of CTS, anybody that likes anything about the previous CTS over the new one, other than price, isn't being real IMHO. I may not love the car, but its a huge improvement over the previous car.
Old 11-30-13, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Having sat in and driven both generations of CTS, anybody that likes anything about the previous CTS over the new one, other than price, isn't being real IMHO. I may not love the car, but its a huge improvement over the previous car.
Since you mentioned "both" generations , what did you mean by "previous CTS" ...the awful 1Gen model (which I agree was a POS)? Or did you mean the far better 2Gen model compared to the new 3Gen? Not many people have gotten a chance to drive the new 3Gen.....if you have, then more power to you. I'll see and (probably) drive a new one fairly soon....until then (admittedly based on what I've seen solely in shots/videos), my opinion of the 1Gen, 2Gen, and (visually) the 3Gen remains. If I have reason to change that opinion on the new one (which I sometimes do, though I probably won't on the 1Gen or 2Gen), I'll note it in my review or write-up. I'm not above changing my mind or admitting I was wrong if I think that, at first, I got the wrong impression....I don't let ego dictate my car-reviews.

The Buick Verano, of all cars, was a clasic example of that. When it was first announded and photographed, my first thought was, Yeah, that's just what we need.....a crappy rebadged Cruze with Buick trim on it. Boy, was I wrong...big time. The Verano is anything BUT a rebadged Cruze. In build-quality, it puts some of the more expensive Buicks to shame. I was so impressed with the car I bought one....and my automotive dollars don't leave me easily....a car has to earn them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-30-13 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-30-13, 06:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Since you mentioned "both" generations , what did you mean by "previous CTS" ...the awful 1Gen model (which I agree was a POS)? Or did you mean the far better 2Gen model compared to the new 3Gen? Not many people have gotten a chance to drive the new 3Gen.....if you have, then more power to you.
I mean the cars we're talking about, the immediate previous model CTS, the second generation. I have indeed driven the new CTS, I posted a review. I've also thoroughly explored two other CTS models in person.

There is absolutely nothing superior about the 2nd gen CTS compared to the 3rd gen, the new one absolutely blows it away.

Obviously we have differing opinions on cars as per our other conversations. For instance I find nothing appealing about the Verano, and you thought an Impala was a better car than an Equus which I cannot even begin to comprehend...but we're as far apart on this one.
Old 12-01-13, 05:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

There is absolutely nothing superior about the 2nd gen CTS compared to the 3rd gen, the new one absolutely blows it away.
I've already agreed I wouldn't make any more comparisons between the 2Gen and 3Gen until I see and maybe drive the 3Gen in person. No need to continue that part of the discussion between us.

Obviously we have differing opinions on cars as per our other conversations. For instance I find nothing appealing about the Verano, and you thought an Impala was a better car than an Equus which I cannot even begin to comprehend...but we're as far apart on this one.
The Impala is not necessarily a "better car" than a 60K Equus. But it is certainly a superbly-done car for the price....and even Consumer Reports, which is often reluctant to praise American-badged cars, gave it a 95 out of 100 on their road test. Whether it is your opinon, mine, or someone else's, it's hard to argue with numbers like that.
Old 12-03-13, 10:52 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Saw a new CTS this morning in Phantom Gray Metallic, the vertical LEDs make such a statement and polarizing to oncoming drivers
Old 12-03-13, 07:57 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Exactly, those who are still talking about the 2nd gen have clearly not sat in the new car. The new CTS is on a whole different planet than the 2nd gen. I love the car and usually I feel that GM cars suck.

I also absolutely love the exterior I think it is a better looking car than the GS, 5 series, and A6.
Old 12-03-13, 08:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I will second that, the Verano has no appeal to me. I think the design of the dash is nothing great and the materials are similar to that of a mid level Impala. I really did not find it all that quiet either.

As for the Impala, maybe in higher end trim levels it is nicer but I sat in the mid level model and thought it was horrible, MT summed it up nice in their COTY write up by saying that the interior cheapens the car. They are right, and I too have sat in it and haven't just looked at some glossy internet pictures.
Old 12-03-13, 08:06 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Saw a new CTS this morning in Phantom Gray Metallic, the vertical LEDs make such a statement and polarizing to oncoming drivers
Best LEDs out there right now, I like them because they are not a copy cat. Audi is the worst by far.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 12-03-13 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 03:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
as a sports sedan should, it says GTFO of my way bmw did this for years with 'angry eyes' and the halo lights.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons