Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-13, 10:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
It's more for tax related reasons, as in various parts of the world you almost can't sell cars with anything over a 2.0L displacement as people will reject them due to getting slaughtered on taxes. Sadly this is also part of the reason why BMW phased out their magnificent naturally aspirated 3.0L engines in favor of 2.0L turbos. Physics wise, keeping a vibration prone Inline-4 engine to a displacement of 2.0L or less does tend to mitigate the NVH issues. I've driven the 2.0L class turbo engines from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, and they're all wonderful. The only thing I don't like about them is their sound, which can't compete with 6 or 8-cylinder engines IMHO.
in China, i believe 2.0l is maximum you go and after that, you get big tax hit.

In Europe, it is all CO2 (MPG) related, as it should be.
Old 11-11-13, 12:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

still wondering when the US will get its act together
Old 11-11-13, 08:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
It's more for tax related reasons, as in various parts of the world you almost can't sell cars with anything over a 2.0L displacement as people will reject them due to getting slaughtered on taxes. Sadly this is also part of the reason why BMW phased out their magnificent naturally aspirated 3.0L engines in favor of 2.0L turbos. Physics wise, keeping a vibration prone Inline-4 engine to a displacement of 2.0L or less does tend to mitigate the NVH issues. I've driven the 2.0L class turbo engines from BMW, Mercedes, and Audi, and they're all wonderful..
Good point about the tax/regulation issues in some countries......I had forgotten about that. Still, given the way many 2.0 liter engines work so well with today's turbos, I still suspect that it is something in the physical mating of the two. And, yes, what you say about larger in-line fours having more NVH issues than smaller ones is often true. Balance shafts, for instance, generally got their start on larger-displacement in-line fours.

The only thing I don't like about them is their sound, which can't compete with 6 or 8-cylinder engines IMHO
That's because some of the induction sound gets trapped/muffled by the turbo's ductwork, and what isn't muffled is combined with whine from the turbo-compressor itself spinnng at five and six-figure RPMs.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-13 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 08:11 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

CTS profit margin must be huge
Old 11-12-13, 10:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
still wondering when the US will get its act together
Well, Gov is kind of doing it the whole time... from hybrid to current EV tax breaks, and EPA credits.

I dont think many would appreciate 40% tax on most V6 and V8 cars like we have around here :-)
Old 11-12-13, 03:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Curious how much off sticker folks will get the CTS for. Perhaps they said it's $70K with the intention of selling them at a lower price. GM makes a profit, folks think they're getting a deal and the world keeps spinning
Old 11-16-13, 01:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silly comparison. These two cars are priced quite a bit apart in terms of MSRPs, and the V-Sport lacks several features and options the F-Sport has. To get some of those you have to spend way more and move up to the V-Sport Premium.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

It boils down to choice. The real definition of luxury - what it's really about - is choice.

/End rant.
I have to somewhat disagree with that. Yes choice is certainly a part of luxury, however there IS such a thing as TOO MUCH choice. Furthermore, with luxury it's all about having good choices. As well, it's not just about choice but also about customization and personalization. More than that, luxury is about exclusivity, craftsmanship, comfort, seamlessness, and also a refined simplicity.

If you look at the world's top luxury brands or luxury products, they don't overwhelm you with a ton of choices. The world's top luxury brands and products offer a very simple amount of choices, but they're VERY well thought through choices.

I also need to point out the fact that cheap and low end brands offer you tons of choices too. Walk into a Walmart and you get tons of choice.

So no, real luxury isn't just about choice, far from it.
Old 11-16-13, 02:55 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Silly comparison. These two cars are priced quite a bit apart in terms of MSRPs, and the V-Sport lacks several features and options the F-Sport has. To get some of those you have to spend way more and move up to the V-Sport Premium.

I have to somewhat disagree with that. Yes choice is certainly a part of luxury, however there IS such a thing as TOO MUCH choice. Furthermore, with luxury it's all about having good choices. As well, it's not just about choice but also about customization and personalization. More than that, luxury is about exclusivity, craftsmanship, comfort, seamlessness, and also a refined simplicity.

If you look at the world's top luxury brands or luxury products, they don't overwhelm you with a ton of choices. The world's top luxury brands and products offer a very simple amount of choices, but they're VERY well thought through choices.

I also need to point out the fact that cheap and low end brands offer you tons of choices too. Walk into a Walmart and you get tons of choice.

So no, real luxury isn't just about choice, far from it.
Flawed Walmart has no choice, they do carry a lot of variety goods from tires to cheese to diapers but they do not offer a lot of choice when it comes actual category of their goods like wide selection of different kind of cheese, you cant buy Pampers for example nor you can buy decent Michelins. I think that's what he has referred to., choice beyond basics is indeed some form of luxury.
Old 11-16-13, 04:37 AM
fly2low
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a high hope for '14 CTS until i saw it in person. Interior quality is still not there , Acura level maybe. But what killed it for me is that broad sheet metal of the rear quarter panel creating an illusion of a big overhang . I couldnt get pass it.
Old 11-16-13, 01:29 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Flawed Walmart has no choice, they do carry a lot of variety goods from tires to cheese to diapers but they do not offer a lot of choice when it comes actual category of their goods like wide selection of different kind of cheese, you cant buy Pampers for example nor you can buy decent Michelins. I think that's what he has referred to., choice beyond basics is indeed some form of luxury.
I think you need to go to a Walmart! The last time I was in a Walmart, I was on my way to a friend's dinner party and was asked to pick up some olive oil. They must have had around 20 brands on the shelf, which surprised me.

As far as not being able to buy particular brands like Pampers or Michelin that might be considered "better" products, that seems to be precisely TRDFantasy's point...
Old 11-17-13, 03:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I gotta say, saw the CTS today in person and in my opinion it one ups the GS inside and outside. IMO it has the best front end in the luxury segment. The inside is just awesome.
Old 11-17-13, 03:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I gotta say, saw the CTS today in person and in my opinion it one ups the GS inside and outside. IMO it has the best front end in luilxiry segment. The inside is just awesome.

I can somewhat agree on the exterior but no way on the interior.
Old 11-17-13, 06:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm with Joe, I can see he argument on the outside, but no way on the inside. IMHO there isn't another car in this class that doesn't have a nicer interior than the CTS.

Perhaps you saw a fully loaded one with the upgraded leather, seats, trim, gauges, but remember that car is $70,000.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-17-13 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 02:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
The reason why I say that the CTS is nicer than a GS is because of the style and look of both the interior and exterior. The materials to me are a wash as they are all good in the segment.

Where the CTS excels is that it is different than all the others and a distinct style that is all its own. Lexus just copied the Germans in everything they did and I am so bored of it. My CT is almost up for lease buyout and I am probably not going the Lexus route again as I hate the remote touch and I am kinda bored of Lexus.

The moment I saw the CTS I knew it was stunning and when I sat in it I just felt that it was something different and not a copy cat.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-18-13 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-18-13, 02:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The reason why I say that the CTS is nicer than a GS is because of the style and look of both the interior and exterior. The materials to me are a wash as they are all good in the segment.

Where the CTS excels is that it is different than all the others and a distinct style that is all its own. Lexus just copied the Germans in everything they did and I am so bored of it. My CT is almost up for lease buyout and I am probably not going the Lexus route again as I hate the remote touch and I am kinda bored of Lexus.

The moment I saw the CTS I knew it was stunning and when I sat in it I just felt that it was something different and not a copy cat.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons