Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons

Old 11-09-13, 02:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I sat in a new CTS today, I posted my thoughts about it vs my GS Luxury in the 4GS forum if anybody wants to read:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...to-the-gs.html

Originally Posted by SW13GS
My wife is away for the weekend, so I decided to go down to Tysons Corner and walk around the mall for a while this afternoon. I thought about swinging by a Caddy dealer and looking at a new CTS, but I hate to bug car dealers on a weekend when I'm not a buyer.

As luck would have it, Cadillac was at the mall with several new models open for people to look at, one of them was the new CTS. It was a Silver Coast Metallic (beige) on Cashmere interior 3.6 AWD base model with upgraded wheels and navigation. Sticker price was $59,815, so the same as my Luxury Package AWD GS. Color combo on this car was awful.

Outside is very attractive in person, love the brushed metal trim, very different. Upgraded wheels were excellent. The styling really works, its unmistakably a Cadillac, and looks very smooth and modern.

Inside, I was underwhelmed compared to the GS. Design is good, materials are quite good for the most part. There are some truly beautiful touches, real brushed metal door handles, the beautiful brushed metal paddle shifters, nice chrome trim, nice wood trim. The door panels and dash are stitched leather/leatherette with suede accents which are very sharp. Caddy uses a retro frameless rearview mirror which is really sharp, very modern slim side mirrors look great but I would be concerned about visibility, height of the glass area is maybe 3.5 inches.

The issue was much of the interior still has a parts bin GM feel. When it comes to the quality of little things like the engine start button, turn signal stalks, headlight switchgear, they feel like they're out of a Chevy Impala. Overhead console is the same way, inexpensive feeling shiny plastic (and no sunglass holder a'la Lexus), the trim work around the auto wiper sensors and such at the top of the windshield are nowhere near as refined as on the GS, cheap black plastic and huge.

Seat leather is a significant downgrade from the Luxury package GS, and detailing around the side/switch area is nonexistent vs the nice switchgear and trim panels on the GS. No multi-contour seats. These things are optional, but this car is priced exactly where the Luxury model GS is which has these features.

This car had the stock Buick-esque gauge cluster which we have discussed earlier.

The overall feel of the front is cramped compared to the GS mainly because of the waterfall style center stack vs the more horizontal layout of the GS.

Rear seat room feels about the same as the GS, but the rear seat area is nowhere near as well detailed, the cushion is thin and carpeting comes up around it, and the pull down armrest is nowhere near as premium feeling as it is in the GS.

Overall, I was very underwhelmed. I still want to drive the car, but based on the interior alone there is no way I would purchase a CTS over the GS at the same price point, it easily felt like it should have been a $10,000 cheaper car. I'm sure additional option packages with the better seating, better leather, virtual gauge cluster, etc would address many of my concerns, but then we'd be talking about $70,000...and even with those upgrades I just don't feel this is a $70,000 car, as I don't feel a GS is either. They had a Maserati Ghibli over at the other mall which was stickered at $76k. If I'm spending $70k, whats another $6k for a freakin Maserati?

Please discuss...
Old 11-09-13, 03:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great review SW13GS. I have a feeling my own thoughts will reflect yours when I get a chance to experience it first hand - especially regarding the interior.

Astounding on the Maserati. For 6K more you can get one vs an equivelant CTS, GS, E, 5, A6, XF. I have no experience with the new Ghibli but if it's plush then the aforementioned models have a serious problem that I hope they address. When you start paying $60-70K for a car you really shouldn't be dissapointed by interior appointments - shame on cost cutting.
Old 11-09-13, 03:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I had never seen a Ghilbi, and it was closed so I couldn't sit in it but what I saw through the window looked very sharp. There was a Ghilbi and a new Quattroporte and for a second there I didn't realize the Ghilbi wasn't just a Quattroporte in a different color. Thats a tremendous amount of style to drive around in for $76k.
Old 11-09-13, 03:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Thats a tremendous amount of style to drive around in for $76k.
the only problem is you'll need another $76k for maintenance.
Old 11-09-13, 03:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the only problem is you'll need another $76k for maintenance.
Probably LOL
Old 11-09-13, 03:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

You will become well acquainted with your service advisor. Thats a lease. Never a purchase. And a short lease at that
Old 11-09-13, 09:27 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cadillac is definitely putting everyone on notice with the CTS V-sport. I'm very impressed. I really do hope that motor makes it into the ATS-V; it's going to be a monster and a REALLY good bargain for what it is. I hope they can actually sell this car because no one is buying the ATS :/ I honestly think they have it priced too high.

FWIW I've heard more than one rumor that Lexus IS moving into the turbo motor arena. I hear it will start out as a the 2.5L 1GR? replacement and will be a 2.0L DI turbo not unlike VW/Audi or BMW's motor. I think once they cut their teeth on that, the other models will follow. Lexus moves very slowly in product development and it's really annoying, but all manufacturers have their quirks:

Honda: Keeps trying to be irrelevant by making ugly, subpar FWD cars
Toyota: Moves more slowly through product improvement than any manufacturer
Nissan: Still has a worst interiors of any Japanese manufacturer and more road noise too
BMW: Diluting their M line with wannabe cars in order to sell options, dumbing down their steering, and won't make recalls for obvious problems unless legally threatened
Mercedes: Won't build a proper sports car.
VW/Audi: Interiors smell like melted crayons
Porsche: Charges a gazillion dollars for custom floormats.
and on and on
Old 11-10-13, 03:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I sat in a new CTS today, I posted my thoughts about it vs my GS Luxury in the 4GS forum if anybody wants to read:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...to-the-gs.html
basically, you would have to pay extra for premium package to get it to the closer level to GS... you get better seats, better gauge cluster, sunroof, better leather, etc, etc.
Old 11-10-13, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Default Just test drove the 2014 CTS, my thoughts vs the GS, 5 Series...

Wife is still out of town so I was tooling around today and drove through an auto mall, to my surprise the Cadillac dealer was open. So, I went in and lo and behold they had a 2014 CTS demo there, they threw me the keys and let me take it out for myself on a little test spin.

The car was black with a grey interior and the matte finish wood, 2.0T model with the luxury package, sticker was $55k. This car also had the upgraded 18" wheels as the car I sat in at the mall yesterday did. Interior thoughts were more or less the same, a little better on this one I think because it was a better color, and the matte finish wood is very unique, does a lot for the interior IMHO. Its a nice car inside, its just nowhere near as polished as really anything else in this class.

Another thing I noted is the serious rubber, this car came with 245/40 series Pirelli P Zero's. When you remember the crappy tires Lexus puts on the GS for the most part, it makes you think.

Anyways, I drove it around for a few blocks, took it out on the highway for a few miles and turned around and came back.

Its a very nice car, rides nicely albeit firmer than the GS. The 2.0T is VERY peppy, I was impressed. Easily as peppy as the 3.5L GS, both around town and WOT accelerating on the highway to pass. Lexus absolutely must bring a small turbocharged engine to their lineup, thinking about what an engine like this could do for say, the IS250, the possibilities of any entry level engine on the GS, the new RX, etc. Engine was very refined, not quite as refined as the V6 in the GS, but it never felt like a 4 banger. If I were buying a CTS I would give serious consideration to the 2.0T over the 3.6. I haven't driven the 3.6 in the CTS obviously, but have in the XTS and ATS.

The CUE system is just as finicky as it was in the XTS and ATS I drove, standard gauges still suck.

I then got back in the GS and drove the same stretch of road as that was my route home. The GS is more comfortable, better seats, better interior I feel, better ride, while still being just as nimble feeling.

The CTS is a very nice car, but IMHO its significantly overpriced. In my rambling around today I also stopped by a BMW dealer and saw the new refreshed 5 series. They were closed, and all I could do was look in the windows but a loaded M Sport 535 X Drive is $69k, beautiful nappa leather, the great new M Sport steering wheel, beautiful trim inside. I can look at that car and understand why someone might pay $10,000 more than I paid for my GS for it...but I just cannot sit in or look at the CTS and see why someone would pay $70,000 for one equipped like that beautiful $70k M Sport 535. I know, the V Sport model has power more similar to the 550, but I just don't care, the 535i has PLENTY of power, and to me the tangibles and intangibles of the BMW vs a CTS for the same money are impossible to ignore...as are the benefits of the GS @ $10k less than both.

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-10-13 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 01:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks. Nice write-up.

Another thing I noted is the serious rubber, this car came with 245/40 series Pirelli P Zero's

Its a very nice car, rides nicely albeit firmer than the GS
That's WHY it rides firmer than the GS...even on the versions with MagnaRide.

2.0T is VERY peppy
Agreed. A number of manufacturers, today, have 2.0L Turbos with good flexibility and performance for their size....the VW/Audi 2.0T is arguably the best, but every turbo that size I've tried from virtually any manufacturer has been impressive. Perhaps it is something in the physics/chemistry of today's turbos and that particular displacement working well together.

The CUE system is just as finicky as it was in the XTS and ATS I drove, standard gauges still suck.
That's what I was afraid of. Cadillac blew the CUE and center-console controls in some other products...now it's the CTS's turn.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-11-13 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-10-13, 01:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's WHY it rides firmer than the GS...even on the versions with MagnaRide.
For sure, this one had MagnaRide.
Old 11-10-13, 02:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

thanks for the impressions!
Old 11-10-13, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Doesn't sound perfect, then what is. Still an impressive redesign over past generations. And it's here to play considering all the configurations you can get it in
Old 11-10-13, 02:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh compared to the outgoing CTS its night and day. Incredible improvement, and I would say its an incredible car if it were $5-10k cheaper. If the car I drove had a price around $50k, it'd be a deal. But, at $55k its the same price as a Premium AWD GS, or a 528 with some options...
Old 11-10-13, 03:11 PM
Hoovey689

Oh compared to the outgoing CTS its night and day. Incredible improvement, and I would say its an incredible car if it were $5-10k cheaper. If the car I drove had a price around $50k, it'd be a deal. But, at $55k its the same price as a Premium AWD GS, or a 528 with some options...
Perhaps by next generation it'll garner the asking price. Some believe Cadillac is still not on par with the competition though I agree to some extent, they are rapidly busting out. And I do think within 5 years should equivalent model to the competition and a flagship sedan and a GT coupe/ vert be available I'd say there's no reason to count them out. BMW, MBZ and Audi are sitting pretty, meanwhile Lexus, Cadillac, and Jaguar are about to take it to the Germans. More competition should mean a win for buyers and enthusiasts alike

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Cadillac CTS, CTS V-Sport, reviews, and comparisons