Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Looks like I'm saying goodbye to the ol LS400

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 11:59 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Looks like I'm saying goodbye to the ol LS400

Well, I promised myself when I bought this car I would keep it until I finished college. I'm graduating in December with my BS in Accounting.

Unfortunately, I don't think the car is going to last me until then. Aside from the various other problems I've posted about, it has recently sprung a serious coolant leak. My best educated guess is that it's from the water pump. Coolant is dripping down the front of the engine, and I'm hearing what sounds like a bad bearing under the timing cover when the engine is running. So the last few days I've been super gentle with it, only driving it when I absolutely have to get somewhere, pouring coolant in every time, and driving like a grandma. I don't have the time, facilities or the $$$ to tear down the front of the engine and do a water pump/timing belt job. And I've always followed a rule that I will never do repairs that exceed the value of the car. Doing these repairs would still give me a car that needs suspension work, a lot of trim work, a paint job, an A/C compressor, sound system, etc.

The car has been a pleasure to drive, but not so much to own. I've had it for about 2.5 years. I've been shopping around for cars in the 3-6,000 range, and have been offered $1k for my trade. I might be able to get more if I sold it privately, but the market here sucks and I don't feel confident selling this car to some unsuspecting private buyer. The rebuilt title will also scare people off.

I've been looking at some options, most of which come from Gooberment Motors. I feel more comfortable working on these if I need to, and also have several friends with lots of experience with them. Test drove an 02 Buick Century and an 03 Chevy Impala. I like the way the drive, and was more particularly impressed with the Impala. And the fuel savings alone will go a ways towards offsetting the payment(which I can get down to about $70 a month). Been looking at an 07 Pontiac G6, but not sure if I want a car that new(insurance, registration, etc), and it was more expensive.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet, but I do know I need to act soon...with a possible(more than likely, actually) move coming up and a very busy schedule, I can't afford to have a car down.

Regardless of what I do, I will still be sticking around here raising hell.
Old 11-10-13, 08:29 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. Sucks that your LS is going down, but at least you have the sense to move on. Seen too many people pour money into cars not worth, such a waste.
Old 11-10-13, 10:20 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. If i could justify the expense required to make it a nice car, I would keep it. Before the water pump issue, i was planning to keep it and swap in a new compressor next year. Now i just feel like i need to hop on a life boat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 11-10-13, 10:42 AM
LexFather

Sorry to hear about the issues but good to see you will be graduating soon!

Old 11-10-13, 11:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds like, BrettJacks, from what you posted, that sedan comfort for a reasonable price is high on your priority list. Check out a good well-cared-for 5th-generation (2005-2010) Hyundai Sonata. Generally well-built, quite refined to drive, smooth suspension/tires, relatively quiet except for some suspension noise here and there. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I liked this version of the Sonata FAR better than the current, 6th-Generation model that followed it.
Old 11-10-13, 12:06 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sounds like, BrettJacks, from what you posted, that sedan comfort for a reasonable price is high on your priority list. Check out a good well-cared-for 5th-generation (2005-2010) Hyundai Sonata. Generally well-built, quite refined to drive, smooth suspension/tires, relatively quiet except for some suspension noise here and there. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I liked this version of the Sonata FAR better than the current, 6th-Generation model that followed it.
Thanks for the tip Mike. I'll see if there ate any sound and give it a look. I wonder what a car that new will do to my insurance (23 yr old male with clean record). Currently paying 30/month full coverage on my LS.

We also have an age based registration fee. Cars under 12 years old are expensive to register and renew. The 03 impala would be an issue this year but would be cheap afterwards

Old 11-10-13, 02:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Looked at any Avalons? Or TL?
Old 11-10-13, 02:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Toyota's and Acura's are a little out of my range. Used car prices are kind of inflated here in my region. If i were closer to back east, my options would probably be greater.

I also want a break from Toyota products, as well as luxury brands.

Old 11-10-13, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Toyota's and Acura's are a little out of my range. Used car prices are kind of inflated here in my region. If i were closer to back east, my options would probably be greater.

I also want a break from Toyota products, as well as luxury brands.

Understood. I know you're a Ford fan like me. Anything strike your fancy?
Old 11-10-13, 03:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Understood. I know you're a Ford fan like me. Anything strike your fancy?
You betcha

I've looked at several Rangers, but everything around here is a 2wd 4 banger single cab.

I used to want a Taurus, but they're just not very good looking, and every one I find has the vulcan engine.

Almost bought a Mustang GT...but I'm going to put that off until I'm 25+.

Doubt not, there eventually will be a blue oval sitting in my driveway. Probably after I've finished my Master's degree, earned my CPA, and have started generating some decent income.
Old 11-10-13, 10:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

COngrats on graduating... To be young again lol...
Old 11-11-13, 06:11 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
COngrats on graduating... To be young again lol...
Thanks. It's exciting but scary as hell.

Old 11-11-13, 08:55 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Oh man, I went in to check on the Impala a little more, decided that I'm probably going to buy it. Dealer doesn't do financing, so I left to go talk to a bank. As I was driving the LS(which I'm offering as a trade) out of the parking lot, something in the engine let go. Now it's running rough as all ****, can't get the rpms up very much, and barely made it the 3 blocks to my house.
Old 11-11-13, 11:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

the new impala looks pretty good. so does the new Malibu
Old 11-11-13, 12:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

what year is it ??

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm saying goodbye to the ol LS400