Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Small things that bug you about our Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Unsubscribed...
Old 11-12-13, 10:41 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

OK guys, take the BMW vs Lexus wheel gap discussions to PM please
Old 11-12-13, 10:50 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I KNOW RIGHT....
just because the car isnt the height you would prefer doesnt mean its not "correct"
Old 11-12-13, 11:15 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

could not agree more..i am having a hard time liking anything post 06..i owned a few lx/isf post 08..but i like the older ones much better same reason i bought a ls430..over a ls460..the new lexus feel much cheaper/lighter
Originally Posted by mmarshall
In the 1990s, the doors on a Lexus shut with a THUNK. Today, on most of them, they shut with a light "Bwik" sound. The interior hardware also seemed much more solid back then.
Old 11-12-13, 11:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
could not agree more..i am having a hard time liking anything post 06..i owned a few lx/isf post 08..but i like the older ones much better same reason i bought a ls430..over a ls460..the new lexus feel much cheaper/lighter
Agree 100%.

06' and older is still the best made Lexus so far, 07'-10' is the cheapest period of Lexus. The 14' LS seems to be coming back strong. I am hoping the next 5LS will be EPIC again like before. My excellent LS430 won't last forever.
Old 11-12-13, 11:34 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

things they can improve.

1-steering wheel thickness, even isf wasn't as nice (improved over the years but not yet bmw level)
2-Please improve over all quality( went down hill from circa 1990s LS to current crappy level- )
3- Stop using harder plastics everywhere /dash/navigation area etc
4-more useful storage options/ dash/cup holders etc.
5-The newer Lexus.. ALL models seem noisier then the older ones? maybe because of bigger rims/tires..
6- stop making every car similar looking..cant tell if its an es350 or ls460 from far..from the back even the new Camry looks like an ES/LS..I remember the old days the GSXXX looked nothing like anything, IS300 Lx470s..all have timeless looks. .

The new ones have a huge grill and it keeps on getting bigger--not classy..
Old 11-12-13, 11:52 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

6- stop making every car similar looking..cant tell if its an es350 or ls460 from far..from the back even the new Camry looks like an ES/LS..I remember the old days the GSXXX looked nothing like anything, IS300 Lx470s..all have timeless looks. .

The new ones have a huge grill and it keeps on getting bigger--not classy..

THIS. try being unique instead of having a visual catchphrase...

i do disagree with the quality materials part though..
getting in some really high end LS/GS latly i have fallen in love with the interior for the most part
though i do prefer the finely polished wood wheel over some newer ones ive seen with more of a satin sheen to them.
not sure if thats a special model/wood or the new thing..
Old 11-12-13, 11:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 240benzo

getting in some really high end LS/GS latly i have fallen in love with the interior for the most part
though i do prefer the finely polished wood wheel over some newer ones ive seen with more of a satin sheen to them.
Satin sheen wood comes with the F-Sport LS460..............suppose to be a sporty thing, I don't like it either, it looks cheap.
Old 11-12-13, 12:10 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

i dont know how to articulate it clearly..the new ones might have more wood/ nicer smoother leather etc..but everything does not feel well put together(maybe i am getting old..lol)...for example the lx570 i have is not smooth riding like the lx470(transmission shifts etc more engine sound in cabin)..i am actually thinking for trading the lx5 and getting an 07s lx470s..i dont the same tank/vault like feeling i used to get in the lx470..the doors where alot heavier in the older lx..overall body was like a brick wall.

i have few friends here that feel the same way, they all have the older Lexus and own the newer 2010+ cars(GS/IS/LS)

Originally Posted by 240benzo

Old 11-12-13, 12:39 PM
piguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
The only thing that bugs me about my car is small thing(s)

>Manual folding mirrors. I honestly don't know wtf a company the size of lexus was thinking by releasing a car that starts off at 47k with manual mirrors. Idc about it too much but theres times when theres a small parking space and i can't fit into it bc i don't wanna have to put my car into park, take my belt off and manually struggle to close the side mirrors from inside the car
I'm confused, how do you have room to get out of the car if you can't even fit in the space without folding the mirrors? I've never wished I could fold my mirrors in to fit into a spot, and I've parked in some pretty tight spots in my life.

I agree that folding mirrors are nice in situations like city parking where the driver-side mirror is sometimes clipped by people driving on the narrow streets (I've seen this happen a few times in SF) but your particular use-case doesn't make sense to me.
Originally Posted by jbayse99
It is so annoying how loud and quickly the seatbelt alarm comes on. This is part of the reason I sold my 2IS. My 335i's is much quieter and waits until you get rolling to remind you. BTW, I always wear my seatbelt, I just like to wait until I start to pull forward.
You can turn that off in the 2IS, no dealer trip required. That was one of the first things I came across on CL, and one of the first 'mods' I made to my car.

As for things that annoy me, I really dislike the VCR-style digital clock in my 2IS. It's amazing how cheap that looks.
Old 11-12-13, 12:48 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Odd that guy had that problem with the folding mirrors when the ls430s have them..wonder how old the car is hes talking about
Old 11-12-13, 01:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

i dont know how to articulate it clearly..the new ones might have more wood/ nicer smoother leather etc..but everything does not feel well put together(maybe i am getting old..lol)...for example the lx570 i have is not smooth riding like the lx470(transmission shifts etc more engine sound in cabin)..i am actually thinking for trading the lx5 and getting an 07s lx470s..i dont the same tank/vault like feeling i used to get in the lx470..the doors where alot heavier in the older lx..overall body was like a brick wall.

i have few friends here that feel the same way, they all have the older Lexus and own the newer 2010+ cars(GS/IS/LS)
Each generation after 2006 have smaller and smaller wood panel, leather feels about the same.........
Old 11-12-13, 01:13 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate the power folding mirrors on my GS - why? Because the driver side has been making a grinding noise upon startup - every startup - for months now, and that's with the mirrors NOT folded in! It's like it's running the internal motor trying to unfold them, but they're not folded in to start with. Very maddening, very un-Lexus-like. And I'm putting off taking it to the dealer because I can only imagine the fix will cost a fortune and it's not really hurting anything, just sounds like crap.

The only functional complaint I have is the damn car always wanting me to "agree" to the nav. Oh and the cooled seat blowers could be a lot more powerful.