Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do people customize garbage cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-13, 11:41 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Why do people customize garbage cars

I don't get it do these people think customizing their 20k cars is going to turn heads or something

I don't mean simple easy cheap customizations like plasti dip, I'm talking about getting it wrapped, getting new colored brake pads, getting your headlights/taillights tinted. Why put money into a car like a accord or a camry. What goes through these peoples heads I don't get it. Your driving a garbage car, its going to be a garbage car no matter what exterior customizations you do to it
Old 11-08-13, 11:52 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
I don't get it do these people think customizing their 20k cars is going to turn heads or something

I don't mean simple easy cheap customizations like plasti dip, I'm talking about getting it wrapped, getting new colored brake pads, getting your headlights/taillights tinted. Why put money into a car like a accord or a camry. What goes through these peoples heads I don't get it. Your driving a garbage car, its going to be a garbage car no matter what exterior customizations you do to it
Old 11-08-13, 11:56 PM
RYKR
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smells like snob in here
Old 11-09-13, 01:14 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What's wrong with modding a Camry? I'd do it... And I don't think many would consider it a "garbage car"

ANY car looks better with a drop and rims lol. There are some sweet looking camrys out there!!!
Old 11-09-13, 01:43 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Customizing cars or personalizing anything for that matter is about the love and satisfaction of making something your own. It's pride of ownership no matter if it's a Yugo or a Ferrari. If you don't get that, you don't get what customizing is all about. You don't mod for other peoples approval, you mod for your own personal satisfaction.

People always say why spend $50K modding a cheap car when you could have spent that $50K on a really nice car. Those people don't get it. It's not about the money. People can afford the expensive car, but they rather have fun modding the cheaper car. The journey of modding a car too me is more fun than the actual final product.

Heck, I even modded my moped.
Old 11-09-13, 03:35 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I do it, because I want the car to look a bit more unique. I think the cheaper the car, the more mods you can add to it. I would never mod an LFA or Rolls-Royce Phantom, those cars are unique and rare already.
Old 11-09-13, 03:38 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its about "doing what you can with what you have."
as well as
"one man's trash (garbage) is another man's treasure"
Old 11-09-13, 07:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Infamous3, not everyone has a big budget, but still wants to express some creativity or individuality. many mods to a car aren't that expensive, certainly compared to getting a different car.
Old 11-09-13, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Infamous3, not everyone has a big budget, but still wants to express some creativity or individuality. many mods to a car aren't that expensive, certainly compared to getting a different car.
+1

Not everybody can afford a $60,000 car. If they love their car and want to make it their own, thats what being a car person is all about. I have way more respect for someone with a $19,000 Corolla thats clean & obviously loved than someone who has a $65,000 535 thats beat all to hell.

Wasn't there some time in your life when you couldn't afford a car like this and had to enjoy what you could afford?
Old 11-09-13, 08:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Why do people customize 20K cars?
Simple. Because they can't afford 80K cars.
Old 11-09-13, 10:26 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Why you add a luxury package on a 2013 GS 350? it will not make it more luxury than a Bentley. Why spend extra $$ instead of getting a base model? Its the same reason for people with different budget.
Old 11-09-13, 10:52 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have much respect for those that mod their entry level cars tastefully. I definitely turn my head when it is cleanly modded.

What I don't get is when they have cheap/autozone mods that make it look like garbage, but whatever floats their boat.
Old 11-09-13, 02:05 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

It's kind of funny because the guys on the Bentley forum with the $200K cars are wondering why people waste their money modding $55K Lexus cars.
Old 11-09-13, 02:20 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a neighbor and I had been discussing, both of us had test driven the new BMW 5-series multiple times, and it put both of us to sleep. It's such a numb and isolated driving experience now to the point that neither of us felt it was all that much better to drive than a Camry or Accord, so why pay DOUBLE what a Camry or Accord costs for one? My neighbor bought the new Accord instead, which is a pretty darned nice car, and I'm probably flipping my 335i lease to a CPO and will buy it out. If turning it in, I could definitely go for the new Accord, though. Slight drop, some nicer wheels and tints and it'd make an already nice car even nicer, for still way less money than a BMW Camry I mean 5-series.
Old 11-09-13, 02:30 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
As a neighbor and I had been discussing, both of us had test driven the new BMW 5-series multiple times, and it put both of us to sleep. It's such a numb and isolated driving experience now to the point that neither of us felt it was all that much better to drive than a Camry or Accord, so why pay DOUBLE what a Camry or Accord costs for one? My neighbor bought the new Accord instead, which is a pretty darned nice car, and I'm probably flipping my 335i lease to a CPO and will buy it out. If turning it in, I could definitely go for the new Accord, though. Slight drop, some nicer wheels and tints and it'd make an already nice car even nicer, for still way less money than a BMW Camry I mean 5-series.
But wait, it doesn't have the proper badge.

Quick Reply: Why do people customize garbage cars