Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do people customize garbage cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-13, 02:56 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

IBTL... I'm guilty of modding my old $20k Mazda6 3L v6. Had a cai, exhaust sways, stage 1 clutch lightened flywheel, koni yellows, stiffer springs and the widest 16s and tires that I could fit on a fwd car. The car handled like it was on rails.I don't know why I did it, I just did. The mod bug hit me.
Old 11-09-13, 02:58 PM
LexFather

What's important is the passion for the car and for many of us we started at the bottom. I've modded "garbage" cars

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
It's kind of funny because the guys on the Bentley forum with the $200K cars are wondering why people waste their money modding $55K Lexus cars.
Honda fan posts three times in thread about modding garbage cars

Old 11-09-13, 02:59 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

I also had teal calipers and hids
Old 11-09-13, 03:28 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It's kind of funny because the guys on the Bentley forum with the $200K cars are wondering why people waste their money modding $55K Lexus cars.
I was thinking this exactly haha
Old 11-09-13, 03:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I modded my first car which was an 86' Honda Civic with 118K miles on it when I bought it. I dropped an Alpine system in the car to bump my music. When you are broke and buy "garbage cars" they are usually used. Therefore modification makes it yours and enhances the car for the owner.
Old 11-09-13, 04:01 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I modded my first car which was an 86' Honda Civic with 118K miles on it when I bought it. I dropped an Alpine system in the car to bump my music. When you are broke and buy "garbage cars" they are usually used. Therefore modification makes it yours and enhances the car for the owner.
My first car was a POS 79 Mustang. The Alpine Stereo system I installed was worth more than the car. LOL It sounded good though.
Old 11-09-13, 04:04 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexFather
What's important is the passion for the car and for many of us we started at the bottom. I've modded "garbage" cars

Honda fan posts three times in thread about modding garbage cars
Which is ironic because I've only owned a few Honda cars and I never modded any of them. I modded every Acura and Lexus I had though. In my defense, when I had the Honda cars I had other cars to mod at the time.
Old 11-09-13, 07:01 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only a snob could call an accord or camry a garbage car.
Old 11-09-13, 09:37 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
I don't get it do these people think customizing their 20k cars is going to turn heads or something

I don't mean simple easy cheap customizations like plasti dip, I'm talking about getting it wrapped, getting new colored brake pads, getting your headlights/taillights tinted. Why put money into a car like a accord or a camry. What goes through these peoples heads I don't get it. Your driving a garbage car, its going to be a garbage car no matter what exterior customizations you do to it
Garbage cars? Dude, you drive a base-model GS that can't even hit 13s, not a Porsche or Ferrari. The same snobby types over in various BMW forums say the same thing about your car but instead of calling it 'garbage' they call it a 'Toyota' as if its a slur.

I'm not a fan of ugly/poorly-modded cars, but if its done cleanly then I think it's cool, regardless of how much the car cost.
Old 11-09-13, 09:38 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Only a snob could call an accord or camry a garbage car.
Agreed. Both, especially the new ones, are very nice cars imo
Old 11-09-13, 10:05 PM
addienicho
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow these are all imteresting comments. i agree with if its a clean modding to your car then its cool but cheap is pointless. but also i like keeping my baby a bit classy not down for too many extras. but do modifications all you want , unless you wasting money.
Old 11-09-13, 10:07 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I choose to modify my 1999 GS300 even though I can go purchase a fully loaded brand new LS460 if I wanted to. People have different tastes with what they do to THEIR car. Some people are not fortunate to be able to afford nice cars like a Lexus, BMW, MB etc so they have to work with what they have. So please OP, get your head out of your you know what.
Old 11-09-13, 10:49 PM
Chocolate
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

OP Bro is totally right and logical. The cutoff line for approval is like 40K, or maybe 45K, depending on mood.

Last edited by Chocolate; 11-10-13 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-09-13, 10:59 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Customizing cars or personalizing anything for that matter is about the love and satisfaction of making something your own. It's pride of ownership no matter if it's a Yugo or a Ferrari. If you don't get that, you don't get what customizing is all about. You don't mod for other peoples approval, you mod for your own personal satisfaction.

People always say why spend $50K modding a cheap car when you could have spent that $50K on a really nice car. Those people don't get it. It's not about the money. People can afford the expensive car, but they rather have fun modding the cheaper car. The journey of modding a car too me is more fun than the actual final product.

Heck, I even modded my moped.
not necessarily anyone that puts a lot of money into a cheaper car can afford a more expensive car. its easy to mod when you aren't obligated to spend a certain amount per morth (financed). just because a person is using their income to modify a car even though they would never get a higher loan for that better car because of income/debt ratio.

but FWIW, a new accord/camry are nice nowadays. actually really nice.
Old 11-10-13, 01:10 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, cars like the Accord or Camry are definitely not considered as 'garbage' cars.

Point is, there are WAY MORE worse things in the world out there that are considered as "CARBAGE

Quick Reply: Why do people customize garbage cars