Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why do people customize garbage cars

Old 11-11-13, 12:53 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RYKR
Smells like snob in here
Yep.

I don't know about the OP, but these looks pretty damn sleek to me:

... Not really something I would rock personally, but not because they're "cheap" cars. I'm just not a fan of body kits on any car, Accord/Camry or not. Plus, at least unless I have a family I need to haul around, I think I'm always going to prefer RWD to FWD. And hell, maybe even with a family, heh.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
i respect anyone who mods their 20k car over a stock 80k car anyday.
I don't have a problem with modding a 20K car, but... I'm not sure I understand this point of view, either.
Old 11-11-13, 02:16 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jli
i bought a miata for 1000 bucks and spent 3k modding it. am i crazy??
No way, I would love to do that.
Old 11-11-13, 02:37 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would drive these so called garbage cars...please hand one over to me

Old 11-11-13, 03:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am amazed by how much the Camry looks like the LS when worked. Good or bad??? probably both
Old 11-11-13, 03:37 PM
dsadsauser
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 240benzo
would drive these so called garbage cars...please hand one over to me

I wouldn't ever be seen in either of these. Am I a snob? No. Just not my cup of tea. I think the OP misspoke a little. I think the intent behind his post was that economical cars, such as an Accord or Camry should be kept as such. I doubt the OP really thinks modding a 20k 2012 Mustang GT, or a 10k Miata for tracking is dumb, pointless, etc.

I kind of see OP's point and agree that modding an economical car with the intent of making it faster, such as a Honda Fit, is completely pointless and a waste of cash. I also think the same about donked cars. However, someone buying a beat up Miata to mod for autocross or an old 240 for drifting is most excellent.
Old 11-11-13, 06:10 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbayse99
I wouldn't ever be seen in either of these. Am I a snob? No. Just not my cup of tea. I think the OP misspoke a little. I think the intent behind his post was that economical cars, such as an Accord or Camry should be kept as such. I doubt the OP really thinks modding a 20k 2012 Mustang GT, or a 10k Miata for tracking is dumb, pointless, etc.

I kind of see OP's point and agree that modding an economical car with the intent of making it faster, such as a Honda Fit, is completely pointless and a waste of cash. I also think the same about donked cars. However, someone buying a beat up Miata to mod for autocross or an old 240 for drifting is most excellent.
I agree with everything you said. I too wouldn't be seen driving one of those. Why would you want an Economic box look like that ? think about how horrible off balance, and stiff it would drive.

If someone want a sport car, buy a sport car.

I also agree with do whatever you want to your own properties.

I also agree with, if the whole world is insane, and you are the only one sane, that would make you insane.
Old 11-11-13, 08:43 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys i misinterpreted my post. Camrys and accords aren't garbage cars, but they're not cars worth customizing. This thread was mainly a knock on people who customize cars like a camry, a accord, a prius and similar concept cars. It isn't worth to put over a grand of your money into a design that barely any thought was put into
Old 11-11-13, 08:46 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jbayse99

Exactly! I miswrote everything and i regret it. When i said garbage cars i meant cars that were made and designed to be fuel efficient and inexpensive, cars that were made for old people. And i didn't mean garbage literally, i just didnt know what other word to use to describe cars like camrys and accords. The camry design and the accord designs are lets be honest, pretty basic/ugly.

your post is exactly what i meant. I just didn't word it properly
Old 11-11-13, 08:56 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

they mod it because they are hand me down cars from parents/family.
Old 11-11-13, 09:07 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You realize people buy junk yard cars and restore them back to better shape right? It's not because they can only afford a $700 junker. It's their passion. It's their hobby. Money is not the only factor in modding cars.
Old 11-12-13, 05:15 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Not everybody can afford a $60,000 car. If they love their car and want to make it their own, thats what being a car person is all about. I have way more respect for someone with a $19,000 Corolla thats clean & obviously loved than someone who has a $65,000 535 thats beat all to hell.

Wasn't there some time in your life when you couldn't afford a car like this and had to enjoy what you could afford?
Wow. A new Corolla now costs $19K? I bought my 2005 LS 430 (7 years old) for a little over $19K. It cost someone a little under $60K back in 2005.

You can park a Corolla in tighter spots though.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
Old 11-12-13, 05:53 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=Whitigir;8232182]I agree with everything you said. I too wouldn't be seen driving one of those. Why would you want an Economic box look like that ? think about how horrible off balance, and stiff it would drive.

/QUOTE]

so a lexus with the same mods wouldnt be stiff and "unbalanced"....

[QUOTE=Infamous3;8232462]Exactly! I miswrote everything and i regret it. When i said garbage cars i meant cars that were made and designed to be fuel efficient and inexpensive, cars that were made for old people. /QUOTE]

so most lexus are designed for young rich people???....

Old 11-12-13, 06:10 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=240benzo;8232785][QUOTE=Whitigir;8232182]I agree with everything you said. I too wouldn't be seen driving one of those. Why would you want an Economic box look like that ? think about how horrible off balance, and stiff it would drive.

/QUOTE]

so a lexus with the same mods wouldnt be stiff and "unbalanced"....

Originally Posted by Infamous3
Exactly! I miswrote everything and i regret it. When i said garbage cars i meant cars that were made and designed to be fuel efficient and inexpensive, cars that were made for old people. /QUOTE]

so most lexus are designed for young rich people???....

No! What I am saying is that a Family Orientated, and was originally produced for Family purposes are Comfortable, Soft, Safe...etc. Why would you buy a car and mod it to totally destroy it's purposes ? Say the Accords, the Camry, the Corolla.

You modify something to improve that thing purposes, not to destroy it.

There are cars that were built to fit the Sport, Fun segments of life. Coupe, or Sedan, FWD or RWD...etc. Those are cars for the modding. Say, the WRX or STI, or Mazda speed 3, Miata, M3....etc. Now, these are the cars that you can mod.

I am with the Op here. When you Modify something, and you destroy it purposes, it becomes Trash. The same thing as with Lexus. A Lexus RX should never be Modified. I bought the RX for my family, I would love the F-Sport trim, but it defeat the purposes of soft and comfy ride for a family CUV
Old 11-12-13, 06:35 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Natey2
Wow. A new Corolla now costs $19K? I bought my 2005 LS 430 (7 years old) for a little over $19K. It cost someone a little under $60K back in 2005.

You can park a Corolla in tighter spots though.

Sent from an Android device using IB Automotive Group forum reader.
And it comes with LED headlights. STANDARD. Take that LS lol.
Old 11-12-13, 07:41 AM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Whitigir
I am with the Op here. When you Modify something, and you destroy it purposes, it becomes Trash. The same thing as with Lexus. A Lexus RX should never be Modified. I bought the RX for my family, I would love the F-Sport trim, but it defeat the purposes of soft and comfy ride for a family CUV
i would drive this trash all day errday

was it designed to be built or driven this way...obviously not.
does making it into a work of art, reflecting the owners personality make it trash just because its not "serving its purpose" - IMO no.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people customize garbage cars