Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 12:59 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota Motor Corporation President Akio Toyoda talks about the company's mission to prove that the Mirai, an all-new hydrogen-powered fuel cell sedan, can offer the convenience and performance of a conventional gasoline-powered vehicle.
Old 11-21-14, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,697 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Hydrogen powered car redefines the term pie in the sky. I love how in one of the videos they show a wind farm, which has zero to with the hydrogen that goes into a FCV.
Old 11-21-14, 04:00 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Hydrogen powered car redefines the term pie in the sky. I love how in one of the videos they show a wind farm, which has zero to with the hydrogen that goes into a FCV.
Russian nuclear power without nuclear waste will produce hydrogen. Will make Russia the largest energy producer world wide.
Old 11-21-14, 05:07 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

uhhh, go to google and search for wind to hydrogen because its a real thing
Old 11-21-14, 07:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
... I am really warming up to the front end and side profile.
really? it's hands down the ugliest vehicle (to me) i've seen in years.
Old 11-22-14, 01:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
front and profile are pretty good... it is that cancer in the back that ruins it.
Old 11-22-14, 07:19 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tech is cool, but its an absolutely horrid design. I get that they wanted something futuristic looking, but its as if they've taken an HS250 (already a bad design) and slapped a body kit from mansory on it. Make it look like an i3 or i8 and it would be soooooo much better.
Old 11-22-14, 10:26 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Its really just the rear lights and rear quarter panel. There are already some videos that show the trunk space, which isn't too large. I guess they wanted to make the rear trunk as square as possible for practicality. With toyota, it has always been practically first, style last
Old 11-22-14, 12:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Trunk is small because of the fuel tanks, there are two of them I believe which is why the rear has only two seats. On the wind to hydrogen thing there are a few test projects doing this but the actual output is very small. On the video they show a generic wind farm suggesting your hydrogen is going to come from said farm which it won't.

But it doesn't matter because the sales volume for this car is going to be very small. Too much against it such as price, looks, no infrastructure, efficiency is only so so according to a review I read. It got equivalent mpg about the same as a Prius.
Old 11-22-14, 03:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RXSF
Its really just the rear lights and rear quarter panel. There are already some videos that show the trunk space, which isn't too large. I guess they wanted to make the rear trunk as square as possible for practicality. With toyota, it has always been practically first, style last
i was surprised to learn that trunk is 380l... so not that bad at all (like first Camry hybrid if I remember correctly). Keep in mind it has full hybrid system inside plus fuel cell stack plus two tanks for storing hydrogen.
Old 11-22-14, 03:51 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Trunk is small because of the fuel tanks, there are two of them I believe which is why the rear has only two seats. On the wind to hydrogen thing there are a few test projects doing this but the actual output is very small. On the video they show a generic wind farm suggesting your hydrogen is going to come from said farm which it won't.

But it doesn't matter because the sales volume for this car is going to be very small. Too much against it such as price, looks, no infrastructure, efficiency is only so so according to a review I read. It got equivalent mpg about the same as a Prius.
it gets 20 mpg more than Camry Hybrid that it is similar to.

But hey, whats 20 mpg among friends, right? :-).

As to the 4 seat, nothing there, they wanted to limit the total weight of the vehicle (so no 5 seats).

There are actually a lot of DOE studies about hydrogen and well to well, it is as green as using EVs.

Sales volume starts at 700 in 2015, then 2300 in 2016. Very small but also enough to start the building of the network. By 2017, a lot more stations will be around in the USA, UK, Germany and Japan.

Good thing about Mirai is that Honda and others will follow year after. So that should double or tripple the numbers.
Old 11-22-14, 07:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
it gets 20 mpg more than Camry Hybrid that it is similar to.

But hey, whats 20 mpg among friends, right? :-).
Compared to an electric that's terrible. The Model S gets about 90 MPGe and has over 400hp.
There are actually a lot of DOE studies about hydrogen and well to well, it is as green as using EVs.
Post links to several.
Old 11-26-14, 01:30 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

The Toyota Mirai may not be the prettiest product to debut in November, but it presents the potential for a brighter future with the promise of cleaner air and less dependence on oil.
Old 11-27-14, 09:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Compared to an electric that's terrible. The Model S gets about 90 MPGe and has over 400hp.

Post links to several.
You have a lot of them here:
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...-honda-hyundai
Old 11-27-14, 09:55 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Did you actually read the link? It doesn't exactly put hydrogen in the best light. And there were not "lots" of studies about how much better hydrogen is well to wheel versus the electric car. The various auto makers danced around the fact that currently an electric uses 3 times less energy to travel the same distance.

And even if the FCV was on par with for example the Model S, the Tesla has 4 times the horsepower for the same energy input!

Quick Reply: Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread