Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-14, 08:02 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best of What’s New for 2014? The Toyota Fuel Cell Vehicle
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases...+fuel+cell.htm
Even the techies at Popular Science like the Toyota Fuel Cell Vehicle (FCV). The magazine named the sedan to a 2014 Best of What’s New winner in the auto category.

“For 27 years, Popular Science has honored the innovations that surprise and amaze us − those that make a positive impact on our world today and challenge our view of what's possible in the future,” said Cliff Ransom, Editor-in-Chief of Popular Science. “The Best of What's New Award is the magazine's top honor, and the 100 winners − chosen from among thousands of entrants − each a revolution in its field.”

The Toyota FCV: Technology at a Glance

What is it?
The FCV is an all-electric, four-door sedan that makes its own electricity on board. It utilizes the same hybrid technology developed for Toyota’s hybrid synergy drive systems but replaces the gasoline engine with a fuel cell stack.

How does it work? The FCV features hydrogen fuel tanks (the hydrogen is a compressed gas, similar to a natural gas vehicle), an electric motor, a fuel cell stack, a small battery and a power control unit. The hydrogen gas is fed into the fuel cell stack where it is combined with oxygen. The hydrogen and oxygen move through the fuel cell stack and create a chemical reaction, producing electricity to power the vehicle.

What’s the benefit? It takes less than five minutes to refuel. It has a range of 300 miles. And the only emission from the tailpipe is water vapor.

What’s next? The Toyota FCV hits the streets of California in late 2015. Hydrogen refueling stations are popping up across the state and Toyota continues to partner with industry and government to support the continued growth of infrastructure in California and beyond.

Akio Toyoda has seen the future, and it’s called “Mirai”. That’s the name of Toyota’s new fuel cell vehicle, which the company’s president announced in a video released the day before the car’s official launch.
It’s called Mirai. Somebody should edit the thread title.
Old 11-16-14, 08:45 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Well...that was a very inspiring video. But can't get past the styling. It better set the record for lowest drag with that shape...
Old 11-17-14, 04:07 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Well...that was a very inspiring video. But can't get past the styling. It better set the record for lowest drag with that shape...
overall shape is very standard/classic... i doubt it will be aerodynamic as Prius.
Old 11-17-14, 05:43 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That's one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen - a complete styling disaster. Somebody needs to start sacking Toyota stylists before the brand becomes a joke.
Old 11-17-14, 08:16 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Big Andy
That's one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen - a complete styling disaster. Somebody needs to start sacking Toyota stylists before the brand becomes a joke.
well, only last part is ugly really - that cancerous growth that goes into rear lights.

Rest is just standard, looks good.

They probably wanted to make it look weird to make it different... it looks a lot better than first Prius.

Still, unless it looks better in real life, that rear lights would keep me from ever buying it.
Old 11-17-14, 12:11 PM
Levi68
Pole Position

Toyota > World
Old 11-17-14, 06:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Lots of info here, including the price and interior design:
http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.c...?view_id=27469

The system provides Mirai with a maximum output of 153hp, accelerating from 0-60 in 9.0 seconds and delivering a passing time of 3 seconds from 25-40 mph.
When it hits the market in 2015, customers can take advantage of Mirai’s $499 per month/36 month lease option, with $3649 due at lease signing, or purchase the vehicle for $57,500. With combined state and federal incentives of $13,000 available to many customers, the purchase price could potentially fall to under $45,000.

The vehicle will be matched by a comprehensive, 360-degree Ownership Experience offering a range of services, including:
24/7 concierge service, with calls answered by a dedicated fuel cell representative;
24/7 enhanced roadside assistance, including towing, battery, flat tire assistance, trip interruption reimbursement, and loaner vehicle;
Three years of Toyota Care maintenance, which covers all recommended factory maintenance, up to 12,000 miles annually;
Eight-year/100,000-mile warranty on fuel cell components;
Entune and three years of complimentary Safety Connect, including hydrogen station map app; and,
Complimentary hydrogen fuel for up to three years.
vehicle will be offered with an optional power take off (PTO) device that enables Mirai to serve as a mobile generator in case of emergency. With the PTO accessory, Mirai is capable of powering home essentials in an average house for up to a week in an emergency
Interior design looks like Prius 3.0... Avalon level quality? Better than Camry. Details are fine, tech but not too luxurious, seats are actually nice, carbon fiber is nice... overall still plasticy but well above Prius.

Engine sounds nice and should be pretty ok in power mode. Prius will likely get same motors/output from batteries, possibly same batteries? Not much known right now... but Prius PHEV is considerably slower despite probably weighting a lot less.

Most importantly - this is first vehicle on all new global platform that will span most of Toyota's vehicles, and that was designed with sportiness and low center of gravity from the grounds up. Lets see what happens.

USDM poor press pics
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-3lsooii.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-noa3v4t.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-ejr7k5m.jpg

JDM pics are of might higher quality despite smaller size:
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-4l732ns.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-fwyplsz.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-qjnhr6h.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-beicdpv.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-wc7rvhw.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-xmfvajb.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-xhsq6ew.jpg
Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread-0wqlywd.jpg
Old 11-17-14, 06:59 PM
JessePS

I am not a fan of the look, but 300 miles per hydrogen fill up is pretty impressive. Thing is how much is hydrogen? It will probably take years, if not decades to see stations across the US and even Canada with hydrogen. All I can say, I wish my FRS looked as good as this car (from the underside).

I can't wait to see what Toyota and other car manufactures have in store for us, in the next: 5, 10 and 15 years. I wonder what will be seen more, full electric or more hydrogen fuel cells.

Last edited by JessePS; 11-17-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-17-14, 07:58 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

the hydrogen is a compressed gas, similar to a natural gas vehicle
Well yea considered hydrogen is often made from natural gas. This car is a total fail on Toyota's part, a pure electric gives people options to generate their own energy, this car keeps you a slave to the energy suppliers. On the plus side I actually like the styling it's different and interesting. I will never ever buy a hydrogen car though.
Old 11-17-14, 08:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ people have to make money. There is no way around that. The point with hydrogen is that the money doesn't need to go overseas as we can produce it in the US. Not to mention to huge environmental and convenience benefits.
Old 11-17-14, 08:07 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats a lot of driver distractions there, three LCD screens? Is this really necessary?
Old 11-17-14, 08:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
The point with hydrogen is that the money doesn't need to go overseas as we can produce it in the US. Not to mention to huge environmental and convenience benefits.
Huh? Toyota is a Japanese company, Shell oil (shown in the video) is a subsidiary of Dutch Shell from the Netherlands. And even if ALL the fuel was sourced locally that still means YOU have no choice but to pay for it. With an electric you have choice, as tech improves more and more people will be able to "fuel" their cars for free.

Plus the electric drivetrain destroys hydrogen in efficiency and power.
Old 11-18-14, 02:25 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Huh? Toyota is a Japanese company, Shell oil (shown in the video) is a subsidiary of Dutch Shell from the Netherlands. And even if ALL the fuel was sourced locally that still means YOU have no choice but to pay for it. With an electric you have choice, as tech improves more and more people will be able to "fuel" their cars for free.

EVs get killed in recharging time.
Old 11-18-14, 09:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JessePS
I am not a fan of the look, but 300 miles per hydrogen fill up is pretty impressive. Thing is how much is hydrogen? It will probably take years, if not decades to see stations across the US and even Canada with hydrogen. All I can say, I wish my FRS looked as good as this car (from the underside).

I can't wait to see what Toyota and other car manufactures have in store for us, in the next: 5, 10 and 15 years. I wonder what will be seen more, full electric or more hydrogen fuel cells.
they rate it 450 miles in Japan :-).

As to the stations, gotta start somewhere.. by 2016 in California, it will be pretty easy to fill up with hydrogen, especially since it is so quick to fill and lasts for quite long.
Old 11-18-14, 09:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexus2000

how do you fuel electricity for free?

You do realize that FCV has EV powertrain basically?

Quick Reply: Official: Toyota FCV (Fuel Cell Vehicle) Thread