Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

article: 8 discontinued cars we want back

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 09:46 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default article: 8 discontinued cars we want back

enjoyed this...

8 Awesome Discontinued Cars That We Want Back

Justin Lloyd-Miller Google+ Twitter | More Articles August 31, 2013

History is full of great moments, and the same can be said about the automotive industry. While vehicles are pulled from production almost every single year, there are often the gems that only become more appreciated after they go.
There have been so many vehicles pulled off the road that it would be incredibly difficult to touch on all the great ones — but here is a handful of what we think were great cars that are no longer in service. What cars do you miss? What cars would you bring back?

1. Ford Ranger

The Ford (NYSE:F) Ranger was an efficient and simple truck that offered its owners enough capability for small tasks, perfect for those who didn’t have the need to move up to the larger F-Series pickups. Moreover, the Ranger soldiered on for numerous years with few changes, most of them being cosmetic. For those who just needed to move some hardware, lengths of pipe or lumber, or even some light towing, the Ranger was a top pick.

2. Mazda RX-8

Mazda’s RX-8 used the lightweight 1.3 liter rotary engine, one that, although not lauded for its efficiency, was undeniably performance-oriented. Its compact nature meant Mazda’s engineers were able to slide it further back in the car, giving the RX-8 a prime weight distribution profile. Its sharp handling, high-revving manner made the car a genuine driving enthusiast’s vehicle.

3. Pontiac G8

Though the Pontiac (NYSE:GM) brand struggled through much of the 2000s, one of its final releases in 2008 was the Pontiac G8. In its GXP trim, the car featured a powerful 6.2-liter V8 with 402 horsepower and 402 pound-feet of torque (it was actually a detuned Corvette engine), with rear-wheel drive that had a six-speed manual option.
Sadly, when it seemed like Pontiac was getting back on its feet, GM had to shut the brand down when it underwent its 2009 bankruptcy restructuring, taking the G8 with it — though Chevy’s upcoming SS seems to be filling its shoes to some degree.

4. Dodge Magnum SRT8

High-performance wagons never really caught on in the U.S. — so when one did, it made it all that much more special. A hefty V8 with 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet of torque made sure the Magnum held up to other high-performance cars. With sport-tuned suspension and bigger brakes, it helped navigate the car through tight corners and winding roads. As an added bonus, the Magnum also happened to be quite practical, too.

5. Honda S2000

Though the Mazda Miata has long-dominated the small, two-seater market, Honda (NYSE:HMC) was no slouch in the segment, either. At its debut in 2000, the S2000 featured a 2.0-liter inline-four that redlined at 9,000 rpm “with 240 hp, it put out more horsepower per liter than any other naturally aspirated engine on the planet,” Edmunds notes. The S2000 was truly a driver’s car, and only improved with the introduction of the 2.2 liter VTEC power plant in 2004.

6. Saab 900

The Saab 900 was a different sort of hatchback/sedan that won numerous design awards throughout its life. Despite that fact that it was never on the forefront of hardcore performance (though the turbo models offered their fair share), the 900 had a distinctive character that you just don’t see in cars anymore. The introduction of a convertible model only made the car that much more fun to drive.

7. Acura NSX

A finely tuned, mid-mounted 3.0 V6 engine (later upgraded to a 3.2) with an aluminum bodywork and double-wishbone suspension made the NSX one of the top performers in its class. Although Honda is bringing the NSX nameplate back next year, the new model focuses on a high-tech hybrid drivetrain — a far cry from the analog, raw engineering that made the original NSX so great in the first place.

8. Ford GT

Based on its iconic race cars of earlier years, Ford’s legendary GT represented more than just a super-cool looking car. It was one of the few American factory-made supercars that has graced our roads, as most ultra-high end vehicles hail from countries such as Italy or Germany. Introduced in 2005 and discontinued in 2006, the Ford GT offered (and still does) kids an American poster option to pin up next to their Porsche or Lamborghini.
http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/8...tml/?a=viewall
Old 11-04-13, 09:47 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Very accurate list
Old 11-04-13, 10:05 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with RX-8, S2000 and NSX, but don't have much feeling for the rest of the list. I would add RX-7, Celica, Integra/RSX, Prelude, and Supra for the other five cars.
Old 11-04-13, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

9. Lincoln Town Car

10. Cadillac DTS/DeVille

11. Buick Lucerne

12. Mercury Grand Marquis.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-13 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 10:14 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

13. Ford Crown Vic.
Old 11-04-13, 10:18 AM
po1qw
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^ those ford crown vic is a tank.
Old 11-04-13, 10:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

3. Pontiac G8

Sadly, when it seemed like Pontiac was getting back on its feet, GM had to shut the brand down when it underwent its 2009 bankruptcy restructuring, taking the G8 with it — though Chevy’s upcoming SS seems to be filling its shoes to some degree.

I agree with the article. Even without reviewing a new Chevy SS, from what I know about this car, I don't think that G8 fans will be disappointed with it. It uses the same platform and practically the same top-drivetrain, although the price tag will be stiff, starting at 43K, and it will not (as of now) have a manual-transmission option.

http://www.chevrolet.com/ss-sports-s...owertrain.html

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-13 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-04-13, 10:43 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Rx8 instead of Rx7? No way. Otherwise good read
Old 11-04-13, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Rx8 instead of Rx7? No way.
Yes way. The RX-8 may have lacked the raw acceleration of the previous twin-turbo RX-7, but it was a far better car overall, in several ways, and built more solidly.
Old 11-04-13, 11:49 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

You can keep your pos rotary engines. The chassis of the RX8 and RX-7 are brilliant, the engines tend to fail in a catastrophic fashion, costing you so much $$$$ that swapping in a V8 becomes a more reasonable option for some people lol.

Personally I miss the old b-body Impala SS, Fleetwood Brougham, Roadmaster wagon more than the Crown Vic and Town Car. My old Cadillac, the FWD Northstar cars were a lost decade for the mark IMO.

Old 11-04-13, 01:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Great List. I certainly would love to see a smaller Pickup under the F-150 again. Hoping Mazda finishes this RX-7/8/9 they've been rumored to be working on for years now. We have the G8 in the Chevy SS, though I do think the G8 is more handsome. I'd be nice to see another Magnum too. I'd be worlds better than the last considering what an improvement the current 300 and Charger are. Make it a niche. Honda could greatly benefit from building a proper replacement. They should know they screwed up, now make it right. Thankfully a new NSX is coming, and rumor mill suggests a new GT replacement is on the horizon.

I'd like to see added to the list the BMW 8-Series. I want another V8 and V12 GT Coupe from BMW. Something for the SL to think about.

Lastly I'd like to see another Town Car or Continental at least in RWD nature, doesn't have to have the name.
Old 11-04-13, 02:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Ranger ??? NOPE.... RX8?? NOPE ( maybe the RX7) Charger ?? HELL NO Saab ??? LOL Im not even going to comment on that piece of crap. The rest I am on board for.
Old 11-04-13, 03:08 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Nissan 240 SX.
Old 11-04-13, 03:21 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The Ranger is a great, low cost work truck. Cheap, simple, reliable. Perfect if you need a fleet of trucks.

Speaking of simple, reliable vehicles, Civic Hatchback should be on the list too.
Old 11-04-13, 03:43 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I agree with that list. A few cars I would add to that list would be:

-Lexus SC
-Nissan 240SX/Silvia
-Toyota Supra
-BMW 8 Series
-Lincoln Town Car
-Lincoln Mark VIII
-Cadillac XLR