Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SEMA 2013 including Lexus Builds

Old 11-13-13, 02:13 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by baddis es
what's the irony, that MT knew that VIP would produce one of the worst cars for SEMA? kind of a stretch there, not to mention many other execs at Lexus approving that design as the contest winner too and pretty sure MT played a much lesser role to those execs decisions as well

you've defended the car on many occassions on CL, and that's fine (to each their own) but it was a poorly executed job by VIP and an even more horrible idea by Lexus marketing (or whoever was overseeing SEMA for Lexus) to allow it to be showcased in the Lexus booth...seeing the end result and all.

as we can see by lack-luster "award" it's winning, it was just a bad decision...I'm all for customer input and collaboration, it is what drives the trends/markets for automakers, but not when the end result is something along these lines.
I am explaining the reasons behind the build. It seems people think that it was just some random bodywork added. It was for a reason and I guess I'm a little more understanding since I was aware of it from the start. Was there some areas of opportunity? Sure there was and the builder will be the first to tell you that. That said again in such a short time I thought it came out pretty close to the rendering. Mind you with our mild build, my side-skirts were delayed lol. Here is a guy building an entire car and it was completed in time.

When we were with Lexus they seemed happy with the results and the car clearly split opinion and caused conversation. Clearly with the new Lexus "spindle grill" this is exactly what Lexus wants and is no longer scared of.

Controversy.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Folks, I see all the deleted threads and posts and there are none related to this car here on the forums I am aware of. Please PM me with whatever you think is going on, who made the posts and I'll look into it.

Sorry it wasn't enough for you. You totally overlook the emails to all our membership, the multiple front page articles, multiple threads, etc etc etc. Example on the articles:

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...us-at-sema.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...th-at-sema.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...th-at-sema.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...-sema-2013.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...is-f-sport.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...ng-to-sema.php
and on this topic
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...t-lexus-is.php

If you want to make suggestions on promoting something differently, please do so in advance so something can be considered vs constantly complaining after the fact. PM me if you'd like to discuss further so this thread can stay on topic about the SEMA car.
Posting is not complaining.. I've been providing insight to this car and SEMA as a whole since I was there and partnered with Lexus. If you note I'm not even arguing with people that don't like the car, I am explaining the reasons for the car, thus the video posted.

There was a LOT of things happening behind the scenes at SEMA this year which is why things were slightly different. Wish I could elaborate more. Next year is already being planned.

Old 11-13-13, 02:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

That woody is well done.

Like that new Camaro too, looks sleeker than normal. The wheels match the trailer too

Is that a matte dark blue C7?!
Old 11-13-13, 02:48 PM
Hoovey689

I'm sorry but that IS concept that won looks like paper mache. It's tacky and tacked on. The 2nd place concept should have won. It looks OEM and sleek. I'm willing to bet whoever approved this winner chose it as it is easier to do than the second one. What a shame.

Old 11-13-13, 03:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm sorry but that IS concept that won looks like paper mache. It's tacky and tacked on. The 2nd place concept should have won. It looks OEM and sleek. I'm willing to bet whoever approved this winner chose it as it is easier to do than the second one. What a shame.
Paper mache is exactly what it looks like to me.
Old 11-13-13, 03:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BNR34
Paper mache is exactly what it looks like to me.
Good cause I knew I couldn't be alone on that hah
Old 11-13-13, 03:46 PM
OKSTANCE
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
this design is far better and cleaner obviously..but the winner was very aggressive and sporty also.
i think we can agree that the overall appearance seemed thrown together and cheap..
yes we know they had limited time and funds etc but i feel another company could have done better.
i mean look at TRA KYOTO, LIBERTY WALK, & RWB
its wild and over the top yet everything flows cleanly and looks superb IMO.

i dont blame lexus, deviantart, or anyone else besides VIP for making everything look taped on

THIS

does NOT equal THIS, for me anyways...tho a good effort i suppose compared to what i would be able to do

maybe were all just being picky here but when the finish on the body and the add-ons dont match it bothers me A LOT
but as you can see even a super badA rendering of the same concept just doesnt do it for me how i initially felt from the first draft

Last edited by OKSTANCE; 11-13-13 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 03:46 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed that the final design turned out very close to the rendering. Sadly I agree that the second place rendering would have been a much better choice.

OTOH.... if they wanted conversation (no publicity is "bad" publicity) they achieved that goal.
Old 11-13-13, 03:58 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously doubt that ANYBODY cares about this.

Aside from people posting on this forum that is, which are exactly 0.0001% of Lexus buyers.

Of 100 Lexus IS I see on the road, exactly ZERO are modified.

Oh wait, an IS-F I spotted once did have a nice exhaust system on it, but that's it.

I thought the concept drawing looked better than the actual mock up. The straight spokes of the wheels rather than the curved ones of the concept really disrupted the flow, among other things. But whatever.
Old 11-13-13, 04:36 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by SteVTEC

Aside from people posting on this forum that is, which are exactly 0.0001% of Lexus buyers.

Of 100 Lexus IS I see on the road, exactly ZERO are modified.

Oh wait, an IS-F I spotted once did have a nice exhaust system on it, but that's it.

I thought the concept drawing looked better than the actual mock up. The straight spokes of the wheels rather than the curved ones of the concept really disrupted the flow, among other things. But whatever.
Same can be said of most of SEMA projects viewed by consumers (other than enthusiasts).

Still though, it's important to produce the best possible regardless of consumer interest.

Mods are a tad more common in my area. I'd say about 95% of IS's I see are stock, but I do catch F-Sport exhausts, wheels, window visors, tint as common add-ons
Old 11-13-13, 04:43 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The proportions and lines of the concept look exactly like the rendering. Whoever chose the rendering to be created just didn't envision what it would look like at different angles.
Old 11-13-13, 05:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by LexFather
A shame that we had SEMA builders here and participants from CL and the thread wasn't stuck and there was hardly anything said in Car Chat.
thread didn't need to be stuck - it barely moved off page one, plus i kept merging all sema threads, which i've just done again.

while sema provides some 'interesting' extreme styling exercises the results are mostly hideous imo.

and of course sema isn't even open to the public, limiting its appeal.

i think the nopi nationals has much more creative and amazing modded vehicles.

Originally Posted by jenniGS460
It's sad that post get deleted for people speaking the truth that the design was terrible and the build was even worse!
Originally Posted by baddis es
mods deleting posts to somehow turn around the negative look on the car, and VIP...
as DaveGS4 pointed out, posts weren't deleted.

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
i seriously agree.
Old 11-14-13, 04:33 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Just got back from SEMA 2013, the lack of Lexus stuff in general....

Really disappointed!

Ford, Chevy, even Kia had nice displays of cars but Lexus didn't have much. In the tuner market, even less cars were seen. I think I remember seeing one IS-F at the whole show

Is it lack of aftermarket support or just less interest overall?

We have a few Lexus in our stable but non of them are exciting cars. Is Lexus ever going to get back into the hot sport car market?

LF-A was great but c'mon at that price point few will ever consider it. IS-F was a great car but that was 4 years ago. I can't keep track of the number of AMG and M-cars that have been released since then!
Old 11-14-13, 04:38 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I don't want to make a post about SEMA with no pictures I'll post a few....

At least Chevy has their act together, they have the hottest car this year at SEMA!

And the best Lexus representation was this Job GS:

My favorite car was this wide-body 458 which was not only immaculate but hearing it leave during the famous SEMA cruise Friday blowing flames out of the tailpipe was icing on the cake:

And no SEMA show is complete without a pic of the best looking ladies there:

Last edited by s4play; 11-14-13 at 05:59 PM. Reason: fixed links
Old 11-14-13, 05:14 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang that Stingray looks sick! Maybe the RCF would bring Lexus back in the game of things.
Old 11-14-13, 05:20 PM
vbb

Received 197 Likes on 96 Posts

The RCF and GSF are going to help pump up Lexus' sport image. Remember, Lexus is relatively new to this game and BMW and MB have been doing high performance vehicles for a long time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SEMA 2013 including Lexus Builds