Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SEMA 2013 including Lexus Builds

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-13, 09:53 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend Best and Worst of Sema 2013

Just saw this interesting article on Motor Trend. It looks like VIP Autosalon's 2014 Lexus IS was voted one of the Worst of SEMA 2013. Here is the full article. http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1311_sta...show_cars.html

Hate it or really hate it "The opinions I've heard on the DeviantArt Design Challenge car have been mixed, in that some ClubLexus members kind of hate it, and other members really hate it." by John Coyle
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...or-hate-it.php

In my opinion what's the point of doing a wide body on a 4 door sedan when you can't even open the rear door anymore. I know builds like this take time but it seems like corners were cut to save cost and quality. What's the actual reason, we won't know. It would seem that certain posts would disappear. Thoughts?

WORST 2013 SEMA SHOW CARS

Old 11-12-13, 10:39 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Whle I wasn't able to view each vehicle in person, there were numerous sites posting up pics of the rides at SEMA. To me, SEMA has always been that one big show that showcases automotive creativity and pushes the envelope for future developers to create that next wow factor type car or to gain that modding perspective that modders need to complete their vision. And just with modding, it certainly should not cater to everyone. With the DeviantArt 3IS, it was an inclusive effort from the Lexus community to put forth a product that stretches that modding vision into something new and inspiring. Something like this has never been done before where contestants pretty much aim to create the design deemed most outstanding and have it showcased at the mecca of all that is automotive ingenuity from a mod perspective.

While the final look itself might not be everyone's taste, there is bound to be some thought or inspiration derived from it, and that in the end is what I feel SEMA is all about. And there were some pretty flamboyant vehicles on display there. Some booths focused on form, while others focused on function. It is what it is, but in the end, it got people talking and apparently drawn to the Lexus booth, which was the intended result. Kudos to Lexus for continuing to include customer and owner input, whether it's for this SEMA product, bringing together enthusiasts for local Lexus meets, or simply to incorporate what we want in these cars as a final factory product. The pursuit of perfection will always continue.
Old 11-13-13, 05:27 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddquach
Just saw this interesting article on Motor Trend. It looks like VIP Autosalon's 2014 Lexus IS was voted one of the Worst of SEMA 2013. Here is the full article. http://m.motortrend.com/wot/1311_sta...show_cars.html

Hate it or really hate it "The opinions I've heard on the DeviantArt Design Challenge car have been mixed, in that some ClubLexus members kind of hate it, and other members really hate it." by John Coyle

In my opinion what's the point of doing a wide body on a 4 door sedan when you can't even open the rear door anymore. I know builds like this take time but it seems like corners were cut to save cost and quality. What's the actual reason, we won't know. It would seem that certain posts would disappear. Thoughts?
not surprised, actually pretty deserving of the "worst" title...as I posted in my other thread, this was a hack job done by VIP and expectations are much higher than this, especially when displayed under the Lexus booth. Maybe they could of gotten away with it under the VIP booth as a custom ride, but not when under an actual carmaker's booth.

as for why do a wide-body on a 4-door...Lexus' intentions were marketing the 3IS, so we could of almost guaranteed ourselves something crazy as a wide-body design for this car. VIP should have taken the initiative and gutted the rear, threw in a roll cage and some recaro buckets up front, then label it a DTM inspiration. Probably would have won over more folks from a marketing standpoint...but in it's current form, last is the best it will get.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-13-13 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-13-13, 05:55 AM
toy2g
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm really not impressed by many of these Tundra's. The F-150s were done better
I did not see a singe tundra really liked. I dont even remember seeing any F-150s...I did see some Dodge trucks that were nice and a few random cars that i thought were interesting.

Can ANYONE Guess What This Car Is

Old 11-13-13, 07:13 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Expensive body-kit tires, brakes, all around. It makes the IS hardly functional, or look like an IS anymore. Therefore, was deemed as WORST!

Totally agree with that title here
Old 11-13-13, 10:36 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Well deserved. Sadly...
Old 11-13-13, 10:41 AM
LexFather

You know what is so ironic. Motor Trend was one of the judges that picked the rendering to be built. Not that anyone is paying attention to the "why's"….

Yup…for the deviantart /Lexus contest, Motor Trend actually picked this rendering that had to be built in a little over a month. Watch here. Then I guess maybe someone at Motor Trend that wasn't aware of that fact (or maybe they were) slams the very car Motor Trend picked.

A shame that we had SEMA builders here and participants from CL and the thread wasn't stuck and there was hardly anything said in Car Chat.

Old 11-13-13, 11:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

MT does point out other monstrosities too. not sure why their pics are so crappy res though

oh wait, original link was to mobile site versions...

watch your eyes

Old 11-13-13, 11:39 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexFather
You know what is so ironic. Motor Trend was one of the judges that picked the rendering to be built. Not that anyone is paying attention to the "why's"….

Yup…for the deviantart /Lexus contest, Motor Trend actually picked this rendering that had to be built in a little over a month. Watch here. Then I guess maybe someone at Motor Trend that wasn't aware of that fact (or maybe they were) slams the very car Motor Trend picked.

A shame that we had SEMA builders here and participants from CL and the thread wasn't stuck and there was hardly anything said in Car Chat.
what's the irony, that MT knew that VIP would produce one of the worst cars for SEMA? kind of a stretch there, not to mention many other execs at Lexus approving that design as the contest winner too and pretty sure MT played a much lesser role to those execs decisions as well

you've defended the car on many occassions on CL, and that's fine (to each their own) but it was a poorly executed job by VIP and an even more horrible idea by Lexus marketing (or whoever was overseeing SEMA for Lexus) to allow it to be showcased in the Lexus booth...seeing the end result and all.

as we can see by lack-luster "award" it's winning, it was just a bad decision...I'm all for customer input and collaboration, it is what drives the trends/markets for automakers, but not when the end result is something along these lines.
Old 11-13-13, 11:39 AM
jenniGS460
Driver School Candidate

Wow, seems Vip Auto Salon has created something that they can't accept the truth from people. That the design is "ugly" and honestly no innovation to art!
From the pics posted it shows like the rear fenders were glued on. Yes, you say MotorTrend agrred to the design on paper!
But, when the actual design that comes out for real in person looks like a piece of crap!

This is a forum for all and that if the truth hurts and post get deleted for speaking the truth then you need to go into a different field of work.
It's sad that post get deleted for people speaking the truth that the design was terrible and the build was even worse!
Old 11-13-13, 12:01 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jenniGS460
Wow, seems Vip Auto Salon has created something that they can't accept the truth from people. That the design is "ugly" and honestly no innovation to art!
From the pics posted it shows like the rear fenders were glued on. Yes, you say MotorTrend agrred to the design on paper!
But, when the actual design that comes out for real in person looks like a piece of crap!

This is a forum for all and that if the truth hurts and post get deleted for speaking the truth then you need to go into a different field of work.
It's sad that post get deleted for people speaking the truth that the design was terrible and the build was even worse!
mods deleting posts to somehow turn around the negative look on the car, and VIP...
Old 11-13-13, 12:35 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ddquach

WORST 2013 SEMA SHOW CARS

I must say horrible looking IS! VIP Auto shoulda kept the car to themselves cause this looks like an unfinished product and complete trash. Although I like the wheels lol
Old 11-13-13, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i simply don't see anything ironic or conflicting at all. a press / media can have a lot of editors and i think they are all entitled to their opinions. just because one editor liked the design and voted it as winner doesn't mean all other editors have to start kissing butts and say that's a lovely design.

in fact we don't even have to look far. in an earlier article here on clublexus john talked about this car and he's not a fan of the aero package. but today ryan put up an article pointing out his view which is quite opposite. so what, should we start wondering why they don't talk to each other before posting?

absolutely not, and i absolute don't expect so. that would be so silly and absurd. i respect opinions from both editors and i think they co-exist just fine

regarding the car, sema is definitely about demonstration of extreme, concept, and possibilities. no doubt. want practical and you go to a dealership. but that doesn't mean anything extreme is nice and wow about. this is probably the case here. it simply seems like most people in general don't like this car and how it's executed. very simple.

and in my opinion, having a short period of time to execute should not be an excuse for poor results (for those who agree). there is always the option to say no, or to ask for more time, or better allocation of budget for more resources and workforce, etc... at least in my line of work, if something goes wrong on what i work, "because i only had 2 days to finish it" is not an excuse unless i want to get myself fired.

Last edited by rominl; 11-13-13 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 12:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I was at SEMA and I agree that DeviantArt IS350 look hideous in person.

And I am someone that love ridiculously huge aftermarket fender flares, on the RWB 911s, Rocket Bunny's FR-S, LB performance's E92 M3s, 458 and GTR........I think they all look lovely and awesome.

But this IS350 is badly done, untasteful and look hideous.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-13-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-13-13, 01:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by jenniGS460
Originally Posted by baddis es
mods deleting posts to somehow turn around the negative look on the car, and VIP...
Folks, I see all the deleted threads and posts and there are none related to this car here on the forums I am aware of. Please PM me with whatever you think is going on, who made the posts and I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by LexFather
Y
Sorry it wasn't enough for you. You totally overlook the emails to all our membership, the multiple front page articles, multiple threads, etc etc etc. Example on the articles:

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/l...us-at-sema.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...th-at-sema.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...th-at-sema.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...-sema-2013.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...is-f-sport.php
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...ng-to-sema.php
and on this topic
https://www.clublexus.com/articles/i...t-lexus-is.php

If you want to make suggestions on promoting something differently, please do so in advance so something can be considered vs constantly complaining after the fact. PM me if you'd like to discuss further so this thread can stay on topic about the SEMA car.

Quick Reply: SEMA 2013 including Lexus Builds