Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Park inside !! Halloween has one of the highest vehicle vandalism claims

Old 10-30-13, 03:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Park inside !! Halloween has one of the highest vehicle vandalism claims

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/30/h...dalism-claims/

Car vandalism is neither a trick nor a treat, but the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says that it's just as much an after effect of Halloween as candy-induced stomach aches and throwing away rotting jack-o'-lanterns. According to IIHS data, cars are, on average, twice as likely to be vandalized on October 31 – sometimes even with slashed tires and broken windows.

The report says that between 2008 and 2012, there were an average of 1,253 insurance claims for vehicle vandalism on Halloween night, compared with just 692 claims for an average day. Though significantly lower than Halloween, the Fourth of July and New Year's Day were also above average in terms of vandal strikes. Conversely, Christmas and Thanksgiving were major holidays that rated below average for vandalism.

Happy Halloween and be safe !!
Old 10-30-13, 04:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good call. I do park in the garage but thankfully that part of the house is gated. We don't get many trick or treaters though in our neighborhood. The kids prefer Blackhawk area where one house litterally hands out the 1 lb bags of M&Ms every year. Great to bring this to people attention though.