Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

McLaren 570S (2nd Page) and 570GT (3rd Page)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-15, 08:04 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Dislike. I don't even have a tinge of interest.
Old 04-05-15, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default McLaren 570S priced at $184,900

McLAREN 570S: A NEW BENCHMARK FOR THE SPORTS CAR MARKET PREMIERES IN NEW YORK

· Sports Series completes the McLaren three tier model range, priced from $184,900
· Highest power and lightest car in the sports car segment by almost 150 kg (331 lbs) means a class-leading power-to-weight ratio of 434PS per ton (5 lbs per hp)
· Two examples of the 570S unveiled in New York showcase some of the customization options available with the new 'By McLaren' designer interiors

The all-new McLaren Sports Series brings McLaren race-derived technologies and supercar driving exhilaration to the sports car market for the first time. Launching with two power outputs, the Sports Series offers class-leading performance, lightweight construction including a carbon fiber chassis, recognizable McLaren design values and a comprehensive specification list. Pricing for the higher-powered 570S, shown for the first time at the New York International Auto Show, will retail from $184,900 USD. Global deliveries of the Sports Series will commence later this year.

The latest addition to the McLaren range completes the three tier model strategy alongside the Super Series and Ultimate Series. The Sports Series is the most usable and attainable model to wear a McLaren badge to date, but it retains the core design and dynamic focus that ensure it is still worthy of the iconic name. Weighing as low as 1,313kg (2,895 lbs), thanks in part to the unique lightweight carbon fiber MonoCell II chassis, the Sports Series is almost 150kg (331 lbs) lighter than its closest rival. Power is provided by an evolution of the 3.8-liter twin turbo V8 engine with 30 percent new components. This ensures electrifying performance, with the 570S boasting a class-leading power-to-weight figure of 434PS per ton (5 lbs per hp). At the same time, the interior is more tailored around day-to-day usability, with optimized access, greater levels of stowage space and more refinement.

The covers were pulled from a pair of 570S Coupes in dramatic fashion to premiere two new 'By McLaren' color specifications, highlighting the levels of customization available. The Ventura Orange model showed a more track-focus, with extensive exterior carbon fiber upgrades, optional stealth-finished five-spoke lightweight wheel option and two-tone sports interior, while the Blade Silver model debuted a more luxurious specification with saddle tan interior and the 10-spoke super lightweight wheels.

"The new Sports Series is aimed at a new audience for McLaren," explains Mike Flewitt, Chief Executive Officer, McLaren Automotive. "It's the first time we've competed in the sports car as opposed to the supercar market. As with all McLaren models, we have prioritized performance, driving engagement and exhilaration. It is a totally driver focused car, with excellent ergonomics and visibility, and a class-leading driving position. This is also the most day-to-day usable, practical and attainable McLaren we've ever made. It is a dramatic and beautiful sports car."
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/03/m...540c-shanghai/
Old 10-20-15, 07:53 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-21-15, 09:40 AM
Hoovey689

Default 2016 McLaren 570S Coupe First Drive

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2016-...s-first-drive/

Engine: Twin-Turbo 3.8L V8
Power: 562 HP / 443 LB-FT
Transmission: 7-Speed DCT
0-60 Time: 3.1 Seconds
Top Speed: 204 MPH
Drivetrain: Rear-Wheel Drive
Engine Placement: Mid
Curb Weight: 3,186 LBS
Seating: 2
Cargo: 5.0 CU-FT
MPG: 16 City / 23 HWY (est)
Base Price: $187,400
As Tested Price: $213,890

The difference between a sports car and a supercar is lost on the Portuguese gentleman standing on the roadside. I've stopped in my attempts to flood the country air with V8 ruckus for the moment, and am parked on the shoulder, taking a breather when he approaches. My Portuguese is limited to bom dia and obrigado, and he's not saying anything in English, but his wide smile, rotating pointer finger, and ready iPhone are symbols that transcend language: "Please gun it."

Fresh off some 75 miles of strappy pavement between hot laps at the Portimão circuit and my hotel, behind the wheel of McLaren's bouncing new baby, the 570S Coupe, I'm more than happy to oblige. The British company has hammered home that the 570S, the first of its Sports Series cars and the most accessible driving tool in its new range, is a sports car. That is; not a member of the unearthly Ultimate Series á la the P1, or a meat-and-potatoes supercar like the 650S from the Super Series.

The guy with the phone held aloft couldn't care less about those delineations. I pull out into the street, offer my friend a few red-blooded throttle blips, and then give the cobblestones a footful of hell. The 3.8-liter twin-turbo V8 makes a symphony's worth of sucking, blowing, whistling, and exploding noises behind my head, and the world again makes a blurry kind of sense.

If you're McLaren, whose best-known current model may be the $1-million-plus, 900-plus-horsepower P1 everythingcar, it makes sense that you might want to sandbag a bit when it comes to your entry-level model. But for all that it may compete with the almost-commonplace Porsche 911 Turbo S and the Audi R8 – in terms of performance and price – the 570S reads as "supercar" to most of the world. Even stripped of the McLaren Orange or Mantis Green the brand's vehicles are so often photographed in, my Vermillion Red test car looks like the proverbial million bucks. The elliptical roofline, wheels at extreme corners, and short sloping front end telegraphs the mid-engine orientation. And anyone that's halfway familiar with the brand won't miss the signature-shape of the headlamps, and charismatic vent work on the sides of the body. It's a stunner, even before the trick dihedral doors float up and drive the crowd wild.

Inside things are equally well conceived, and still subtler. I've gravitated to the leather-lined trim, a more genteel rendering of the McLaren design theme. Napa hides reside where carbon fiber might otherwise go, and power-adjustable seats gently hold my shoulders and backside where hard-as-hell sports seats would typically grapple me. The company has hopes that the 570S is accessible enough to drive on the regular, and not just for track days or full-tilt canyoneering. This plush cabin fitment speaks to that goal.

But it's not just wider seats and silky touch points that make the 570S less intimidating than its stablemates. The car's carbon fiber tub has been modified with sizable cutouts at the sills, allowing a lot more space to easily step in and out of the car. I'm six-foot, five-inches, so I still have to scrape a bit to make it under the door and behind the wheel, but once there I've got headroom, legroom, and elbowroom to spare. Forward visibility is tremendous, with that low, sculpted nose dropping away and wheel arches just marking out the front rubber. Placing the 570 exactly where I want it, on road and track, is a simple affair thanks to the amazing field of view. The rear view is less excellent, but mid-engined exotics shouldn't be entirely painless, daily driveable or no.

I don't have much urge to look backwards when driving, anyway. McLaren's hyper-responsive 3.8-liter V8 beastie lives back there, sure, but the sound from it fills a 360-degree bubble around me wherever I go. The company claims to have learned many lessons from the time of the MP4-12C to now, including how to make its twin-turbo engine sounds like something compelling. The drab oration of that first car is long gone, banished in favor of a higher pitched, louder exhaust note that sounds strident from inside the car, and downright evil from out.

The time it takes for the V8 to spool is short, but purposeful. I mat the throttle from a standstill and only one or two of my anxious heartbeats die before the tach sees 3,000 rpm, and the first rip of power engulfs the rear wheels. Keep on it and you'll feel another surge around 6,000 rpm, at which point you'd better be on a straight road, ready to shift up, smiling and/or screaming, and paid up on your life insurance. It's fast, folks. Chest crushing in a way that makes me disbelieve the 3.1-second 0-60 time. On the bucolic roads I might as well be driving a jet boat to compared to the local transportation, blithely moving around Volkswagen Polos and smoking motorbikes with pace and confidence.

The snicker-snack seven-speed dual-clutch transmission is perfect for McLaren's turbo power unit, too. The coupe feels like nothing short of a dedicated racing machine as I change up and down, especially in Sport mode where shifts crack off with audible authority. The trans is great on the racetrack, but works just as well on the street, showing its flexibility as well as forcefulness.

I've never driven Portimão before this, which I regret after my first recon lap. The track is wild: a towering front-back straight drops off a bumpy hill into a super-fast and pucker-worthy Turn 1. There seem to be more blind than sighted turns. Hairy hills dot the landscape. It's perfect.

And the 570S is lively and massively fast around the circuit, even in my inexperienced and sweating hands. With slightly narrower PZero runner compared with the 650, the lightweight coupe still has plenty of raw grip, but the adhesion isn't overpowering. The tail wiggles when I combine too much power with too much lock, though the forgiving machine is so balanced that correcting those little messes isn't a problem. In fact, it's kind of a blast. More to the point, there's such a high level of information about the front tires coming through the steering wheel, and about the rear tires through, well, my rear, that I always feel connected to the drive. Even as my lap time dwindles, on a few corners the combination of steering feel, chassis response, and that potent engine come together; the result is a lithe sports car doing exactly what I ask it to, good or bad.

Oh, and the brakes are good, thank god. I discover that the first time I come into that dipping back straight a bit too fast. There's great pedal feel, with just a bit of softness giving way to firm, poised stopping power from the big carbon-ceramic discs. Just the thing for hauling me down from well over 150 mph, just in time to set up for the next corner.

Truthfully though, I enjoy driving this Mac on the road even more than over Portimão's daunting surface. For a serious looking machine, the 570S comes off as downright playful on switchbacks and narrow lanes. I can change up styles from hard-charging to laid back at a whim, never feeling an overly brittle ride or too-caffeinated a response to inputs. In fact, ride quality feels rather plush – a good thing for the intended buyer, especially as it's in this kind of nine-to-five driving that the Porsche 911 really excels.

McLaren reps seem pretty confident that they'll be able to sell this lovely new sports car to its current owner base. Not as a replacement for a 12C or a 650S, but an addition to the garage. Eventually the company hopes that the 570S will account for 2,500 of a projected total yearly volume of 4,000, however, so there will have to be a few conquests in the mix. Starting at a Porsche 911 Turbo S-baiting $187,000, but moving near the Lamborghini Huracán and Ferrari 488 territory at the top end, the baby Mac will have a chance to turn heads from all kinds of affiliations, I'd say. Especially with the easy-to-live-with character so finely honed, and the easy-to-drive-wickedly so readily accessible.

Watching one of a string of local characters line up photographs of the red McLaren, I'm not convinced, company parlance to the contrary, that "sports car" does this vehicle justice. Magical to drive, evocative to look at, and enveloping to listen to – call it whatever you like. Just please call me up when its my turn to take it out again.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/20/m...#slide-3669526
Old 10-21-15, 11:11 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

It will be interesting to see how their sales break out

This car offers a vastly improved interior and a P1 ish look at their lowest price point

For folks who realize this will give you plenty of driving delight, they may flock to this over the 650S
Old 10-21-15, 03:48 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

If the initial impressions and reviews are to be believed, I'm pretty impressed with what McLaren has done here at the 200k price point. It may well be a better driver's car than the 12C/650/675, all while still being a better DD than the 911 Turbo. The interior and exterior are much more appealing than the prior "bigger" McLarens as well.

IMO the big questions for McLaren will be:
1) Will the 570S just cannibalize sales of the "bigger" McLaren?
2) Will this thing see the same obscene depreciation like the "bigger" McLarens?
Old 02-24-16, 01:10 PM
Hoovey689

McLaren 570GT

If there was ever a car that could do with a bit less going on, it's the new McLaren 570S. The company's design chief, Robert Melville, says that McLaren design is a "purist statement" with no excess. We think he need to examining the prescription of his spectacles. In the case of the 570S particularly, there's a distinct possibility that less might actually be a great deal more.

Now, meet the new GT version of the 570S, which makes its debut at the Geneva Motor Show next week. The on-sale date is in July, with the first US deliveries taking place in late 2016. This is a case where GT does not mean performance, but instead the traditional definition of Grand Touring. With a swipe of his felt tip pen over a just a few panels (roof, rear wings, and deck), Melville and his team transformed the look and mien of this British mid-engine supercar. They've transformed its usefulness, too, with a sizeable hatchback behind the driver and passenger that gives an additional 7.8 cubic feet of space, now 12.4 in total. As vehicle line director Andy Palmer puts it, "more than that in a Ford Focus." And he should know, having worked on that ubiquitous Ford in a former life.

The side-hinged glass rear hatch means curbside loading is possible, although you'll have to luggage across the coachwork, so watch for those brass sliders and zips. The hinge side varies according to left-versus right-hand-drive markets. The redesigned aluminium panels and additional trim adds more than 80 pounds to the car's claimed weight – 2,976 pounds compared to 2,894 in the 570S. There's an associated (though negligible) reduction in acceleration time with the GT, too – 3.4 seconds to 62 miles per hour, up from 3.2 in the 570S. The larger 0-124-mph sprint takes 9.8 seconds, compared to the S' 9.5, but never fear, the top end remains unchanged at 204 mph.

The basic carbon-fiber tub remains, as does the mid-mounted Ricardo designed-and-built M838TE engine – a 4.0-liter, 90-degree, quad-cam, dry-sump, twin-turbo V8, which pumps out 562 horsepower and 442 pound-feet of torque, running through a seven-speed, twin-clutch, semi-automatic transmission to the rear wheels. There are, however, chassis changes to suit the GT car's long-distance ambitions.

While a significant minority of 570S owners will take their car to the track for the occasional speedy lap or two, McLaren says that even fewer GT owners will indulge themselves like this. Thus, the suspension is softened with a 15-percent reduction in front spring rates and a 10-percent reduction at the rear. Additionally, the GT's adjustable damping force algorithms are reduced to give a slightly more compliant ride quality. The steering ratio is reduced by two percent, and the deletion of the rear flying buttresses means their eight-percent contribution to overall downforce is gone as well.

The GT gets the slightly quieter exhaust system from the 540C, as well as steel brakes (instead of carbon ceramic). To quiet things even further, the GT uses specially developed Pirelli PZero tires which have a polyurethane sponge adhered to the inner liner of the tire which absorb up to three decibels of cabin noise.

Other changes include a clever mixing and matching of optional equipment on the 570S made standard on the 570GT. The list includes a panoramic sunroof, soft-close doors, electronic steering column and seat adjustment, a leather covered parcel shelf with luggage restraint hooks, extended interior trim into the hatchback, and an optional 1,280-watt, 12-speaker Bower & Wilkins stereo system. Two main trim levels will be offered – Luxury or B and M Sports – although McLaren expects most orders to be for the former trim.

The car will retail for $198,950, or about 10 percent more than the $184,900 570S. When the McLaren introduced the GT to its dealers earlier this year, it said the coupe would occupy a small proportion of sales. "Nonsense," replied the dealer body en masse, which actually expect it to occupy at least 50 percent of 570 sales, perhaps more. We can't help feeling they are right.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/24/m...#slide-3808720
Old 02-25-16, 02:04 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really think it'll be sub-3000lbs.? I think it's a nice car, but not very impressive inside. More simplistic, maybe that's on purpose.
Old 02-25-16, 02:29 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Really think it'll be sub-3000lbs.? I think it's a nice car, but not very impressive inside. More simplistic, maybe that's on purpose.
Its spartan like any other McLaren and thats why they don't excite me much like Lambos as well. I tried the very first one and I was like "meh", yeah its fast but its fast for a reason cause every single commodity is taken out of it except the ride quality which was not any different or better than lets say GT-R. Remember at the time every one was raving about how this is a super sportscar that can be your dd as well. Not true at all. And unlike Lambo it doesn't look that eye catching or naughty at all.

Maybe Im getting old but my money would always go to new Vanquish than to any Macca in that price range. As a matter of fact just compare a new NSX interior to 570S interior and you get the idea how "80s approach" mindset people in Woking have..
Old 02-25-16, 05:56 PM
Hoovey689

I prefer this dashing GT variant to the S.
Old 10-18-16, 02:36 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default McLaren 570S Really Comes To Life When You Push It Over The Limit

After getting lots of flak with the MP4-12C, McLaren took it to heart to reverse the consensus on its supercars.

Its first foray as a fully-fledged automaker wasn’t lacking in power or handling; it was simply too anodyne and failed to stir the emotions.

Right now, McLaren Automotive has three distinct series on offer, and although everyone is salivating over the675 LT or the P1 GTR, its entry-level model, the 570S, is far from a pushover.

It’s probably hybris to question the credentials of a $200k supercar with 570 PS (562 HP), or it could be that with manufacturers going all out in the power race, even 1,000 PS hypercars like the GTR are a good 500 horses down on machines such as the Bugatti Chiron or the Koenigsegg Regera.

Whatever the case, Woking wants us to know that the 570S is game for pushing it right up to and beyond its limits – on a track, of course, for it would be unwise to try this on a public road.

Chief tester Chris Goodwin explains that, while it is most definitely docile when you want it to, it also allows its driver to have lots of fun and burn as many sets of rear tires as he wants when he so wishes. Just put everything on Track, deactivate the ESP and… off you go. Having sampled the 570GT, which is supposedly a bit softer (though, in our humble opinion, prettier), we have no reason to doubt him. We bet the S can put a wide smile on your face so, even though it’s billed as an entry-level, we wouldn’t call it “baby”.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/mcl...life-when.html
Old 10-19-16, 06:40 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default Drive The 570S Coupe On Ice At McLaren's Inaugural Arctic Experience

Set 200 miles into the Arctic Circle against the backdrop of northern Finland, the Pure McLaren Arctic Experience will give participants the opportunity to get behind the wheel of a Sports Series on snow and ice.

Like with all Pure McLaren events, this program is meant to give guests an exciting experience on snow-covered roads as well as an ice track, where drivers can improve their skills on slippery surfaces - and perhaps learn the Scandinavian flick.

In order to provide guests with this experience, the Pure McLaren professional driver coaches teamed up with winter testing facility Test World, which is based in Ivalo, Finland. This way, they can provide a safe and secure environment for learning and practicing.

While the award-winning McLaren 570S Coupe being at the disposal of the guests should be exciting enough, McLaren cooperated with Luxury Action to provide of a multitude of winter activities such as a husky safari and a snowmobile expedition. As for accommodation, guests will be staying at the Javri Lodge, the former home of the President of Finland and an ideal place for observing the Northern Lights.

The event is open to everyone, not just McLaren owners, and will take place between January 15th to February 3rd, offering groups of up to 14 guests a three night stay.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/dri...-mclarens.html
Old 10-19-16, 08:35 PM
gymratter
Lead Lap

Default New Honda NSX Should Have The McLaren 570S Licked - Only It Doesn't

Honda did the right thing and revived the NSX in the form of a hybrid AWD mid-engined supercar with no less than three electric motors but is this enough to challenge established supercar players like McLaren?

On paper there’s no denying that the new Honda NSX has all it takes to impress, packing 573hp combined from all of its power sources, a nine-speed dual-clutch automatic and real torque vectoring.

The McLaren 570S on the other hand has already proven that nothing on it feels ‘entry-level’, with the company showcasing their ability to engineer one more hugely exciting supercar, this time though for a price than can finally be described as sensible.

And don’t let McLaren’s description of the 570S as a sportscar fool you; this is a proper supercar, complete with a carbon tub and these gorgeous butterfly doors. Can the Honda NSX’s advanced powertrain tech give it the edge though? Autocar is comparing the two supercars in their latest video, linked below.
http://www.carscoops.com/2016/10/new...aren-570s.html