Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus, Toyota tops, Audi surges, Ford struggles in CR reliability survey

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 10:46 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Lexus, Toyota tops, Audi surges, Ford struggles in CR reliability survey

Audi surges, Ford struggles in reliability survey
By Philip LeBeau | CNBC – 58 minutes ago

Audi (XETRA:NSU-DE), which for years has struggled to improve the dependability of its cars and SUVs, is rated among the most reliable brands in a new survey by Consumer Reports.
Ford (NYSE:F) continued to struggle, ranking 26th out of 28 brands. The survey also raised questions about Nissan (Tokyo Stock Exchange: 7201.T-JP), which fell nine spots to 22nd. Other perennially strong Japanese brands were named seven of the 10 most reliable.

Meanwhile, the Tesla (TSLA) Model S electric car's first review painted a mixed picture. The model received an above average reliability rating with very few complaints about the battery system; however, as production has increased, so have the number of issues.
(Read more: Lexus, Infiniti Hit by Unflattering Reviews )

"The very first models from Tesla, it is almost as if they took one of the vehicles and went over it with a fine-tooth comb and made sure each one of those vehicles were right," said Jake Fisher, Consumer Reports' director of auto testing. "Now that they are ramping up in terms of their volumes, they are really going to have to figure out how to make these cars continue to be reliable."

The survey showed Ford, which last year ranked 27th, continues to have problems with its MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch infotainment systems. In addition, "Several EcoBoost turbocharged V6 models have poor reliability as well. Almost two-thirds of the 34 Fords and Lincolns in our survey got scores that were much worse than average," the report said.
The brand's C-Max Energi was rated its worst model; at Nissan, the Pathfinder earned that designation.

"Nissan has not been one of the top manufacturers in terms of reliability, so they actually have multiple problems," Fisher said.
(Read more: Focus is the best-selling car in the world, Ford says )
Fisher noted the interesting thing about Audi's improved rating was that they have high-content vehicles with high-end pieces, electronics and power equipment, and they are "still getting it right."
The 2013 Consumer Reports Auto Reliability Survey is based on the answers of 1.1 million subscribers to the magazine.

Overall, the survey showed people think the reliability of their cars hasn't changed much in the last year. Glitches in the electronics and telematics in new models continue to frustrate their owners.
"When it comes to major mechanical problems engine, transmission, etc. they actually are doing better, but the new electronic problems are actually bringing them down," Fisher said.
Old 10-28-13, 11:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Really? Issues with infotainment is all it takes to hit rock bottom for reliability? What a bunch of trivial bull****.
Old 10-28-13, 11:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting about Audi. I have several friends and coworkers in A4s, A5s, Q5s and they all seem to have had a number of little issues over the last 2 years.

My boss and two other coworkers driver Bimmers - 2012 535i, 2011 335i and a 2013 335i. Those cars have had a ridiculous number of problems, despite most of the media saying that BMW has gotten better.

Oh well - nobody's perfect!
Old 10-28-13, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Really? Issues with infotainment is all it takes to hit rock bottom for reliability? What a bunch of trivial bull****.
To a lot of people who buy Ford and Lincoln products and then have to fiddle with those MyTouch and Sync systems, it is apparantly not trivial. However, IMO, it does beg the issue of potential buyers examing and test-driving their potential new cars before actually signing for them. If you are going to have trouble adapting to a car's electro-screen system, the time to find it out is before the sale, not after. That is why I myself, from the experience of my own auto reviews, would probably not own a BMW, Audi, or Cadillac equipped with the I-Drive, MMI, or CUE systems.

However, IMO, that does not necessarily let Ford off the hook. They have known for some time now that the MyTouch/Sync systems are a bone of contention with a lot of customers, yet still have not done away with them, redesigned them, or come up with something better. I suspect that Cadillac is going to facing the same issue in a couple of years with the CUE.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
My boss and two other coworkers driver Bimmers - 2012 535i, 2011 335i and a 2013 335i. Those cars have had a ridiculous number of problems, despite most of the media saying that BMW has gotten better.

Oh well - nobody's perfect!
One of the sloppiest-built cars I have reviewed in the last ten years was probably the 2008 BMW M3 coupe I checked out....a $63,000 car brand-new. Besides creaks/rattles, it had two major defects. First, when I pulled the rear seat center arm-rest assembly out of its fold-up pocket, the whole assembly just dropped right down on the floor....it had never been secured at the factory, just pushed into the opening. Second, the power seat controls for the driver's seat were up-and-down...they would work one second and crap out the next. Even with the help of a couple of service technicians there, it still took about 15 minutes for us to get the seat where I wanted it for the test-drive. When I got back,of course the car went right into the shop to fix both of those problems.

(Incidentally, though it was a LONG time ago, I can remember a similiar seat arm-rest problem on a brand new 1970 full-size Dodge's cloth front bench seat....yes, in the showroom. I was reviewing cars back then even as a teen-ager. I pulled it out, and it flopped right down on the floor. 1970 was arguably Chrysler's worst year ever for quality-control).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-28-13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-28-13, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

yes, and yes to your first two questions, and not at all to your statement!

the infotainment systems in fords of recent years are HORRIBLE, and remember they control not only the audio, but the climate, nav, bluetooth, etc., so it's a HUGE part of the ownership of a car for most people. and system crashes, reboots, lock-ups, bugs, and sluggish operation can be infuriating. i met an '11 ford edge owner recently at a lunch place and said 'nice car, how do you like it' and i thought the guy was going to throw something he got so mad. he said he hated everything about it, but when he calmed a bit it was all about the mytouch/sync/whatever system in it. there's endless stuff about it on the internet.

my '06 explorer may no longer be by any stretch new, but it works and i have ZERO interest in getting a ford until it gets glowing praise about a control system in it. sony did part, microsoft did part, then ford took over some of microsoft's work, it's a giant cluster...

it's a shame, because in every other way fords have improved by leaps and bounds.
Old 10-28-13, 12:09 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it crashes, freezes, locks up, fails to respond, etc, and that's where all of the controls in the car are based, then yes it's an issue. Friends have an Explorer that they like, but admit that the MyFord Touch system is the biggest and most infuriating piece of crap that they've ever used. Per the Consumer Reports guidelines on whether to report an issue as an issue or not, it has to be either a significant time out of service or cost to repair, among other things. If your MyFord Touch system is crashing or locking up and you take it in, they fix it, and it works fine after that and you never have an issue with it, that shouldn't get reported as an issue. If they have to keep it for a week, don't manage to fix it, and it still crashes and locks up, NOW it's a "major" or "severe" issue that they advise you to report as an issue. It's not just basic stuff that gets reported as an "issue" in their surveys. There has to be an element of severity to it. Time out of service, cost to repair, vehicle leaves you stranded, etc.
Old 10-28-13, 12:12 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Somebody at Ford looked at Internet Explorer and thought it was the best piece of software ever written.
Old 10-28-13, 02:08 PM
LexFather

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...801D1376578E3O

Lexus was #1 and Toyota #2…..

Maybe that might be of importance here...

Old 10-28-13, 02:29 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, Kia (16) and Hyundai (21) took a tumble!
Old 10-28-13, 02:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Ford just needs to get their employees and dealers to go through more Sync training and teach buyers. The software does work.
Old 10-28-13, 03:02 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

no surprise. Ford has pissed people off with the infotainment set up. Audi.......I would buy if it was at the top for 10 years. Even a F student can get a good grade every now and then. Lexus ( validictorian) is reliable and consistently the best or at the top
Old 10-28-13, 06:56 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Lexus was #1 and Toyota #2…..

Maybe that might be of importance here...
title fixed.
Old 10-28-13, 07:24 PM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus and Toyota are so simple. My 13 RX350 doesnt even have adaptive cruising, or lane assist. Though they still have Unintended Acceleration. Their drive by wire throttle system was found guilty as of the latest trial in the court, and in order to avoid risking Punitive, Toyota agreed to pay 3 millions to the victim.

Speaking of which, i wonder if Toyota will have any special Trade in for those models year or not,
Old 10-28-13, 07:27 PM
dc893
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
Somebody at Ford looked at Internet Explorer and thought it was the best piece of software ever written.
LOL

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Ford just needs to get their employees and dealers to go through more Sync training and teach buyers. The software does work.
This is true a lot of buyers do not understand how to use this system. This is especially true with Lincoln since the average buyer is about 120 years old now.

I have experienced the system crashing while driving and having to pull over and restart the car to get it to work again and that is super annoying. The system works just fine about 99% of the time though, even the voice controls work good in them.

Quick Reply: Lexus, Toyota tops, Audi surges, Ford struggles in CR reliability survey