Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Rented Tesla Model S in SF, $25 an hour

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-13, 08:41 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Thanks for the review. I really don't understand why reviews haven't been more critical of the Model S's interior. I don't think the design itself is attractive and the model I sat in didn't feel to be of the same quality. But I guess the rest of the car is so good it gets a pass.
Exactly. Everyone just walks away super impressed by the large dash screen and sheet power that a lot of things are overlooked. A lot of cars get this kind of treatment though.
Old 10-28-13, 09:13 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Great write up

Too bad they don't have one down here in socal. I would love to rent one.

I know I could look the info up, but I'll ask here.

1. Is it a 4 or 5 seater?
2. How large was the trunk: bag wise, golf bag wise, dead body wise...?
3. If you're carrying a heavier load (more passengers, more stuff in the trunk) does it know to recalculate the mileage to compensate for the extra power needed?

I've never driven a hybrid so this regenerative braking this is interesting. Never thought you have to "adapt" to it's driving characteristics vs. a normal gasoline car.
Old 10-28-13, 09:51 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
I stopped at Santana Row for lunch I did not go into the Tesla store though. and its a shame they don't have any superchargers there.
FYI - Santana row has superchargers in the garage.
Old 10-28-13, 10:38 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Great write up

Too bad they don't have one down here in socal. I would love to rent one.

I know I could look the info up, but I'll ask here.

1. Is it a 4 or 5 seater?
2. How large was the trunk: bag wise, golf bag wise, dead body wise...?
3. If you're carrying a heavier load (more passengers, more stuff in the trunk) does it know to recalculate the mileage to compensate for the extra power needed?

I've never driven a hybrid so this regenerative braking this is interesting. Never thought you have to "adapt" to it's driving characteristics vs. a normal gasoline car.
1) it's a five seater. Very comfortable with a flat floor in the back.
2) the trunk is fairly large and deep. It's a hatchback but the seats don't fold down. I would say four or five golf bags easy. It must have had at least 15 cu feet. The front trunk is small and is a weird shape shape, about a foot and a half deep and 2.5 feet wide. You can put shopping bags in there and protect personal belongings. Both areas seemed to be very well finished. The trunk also has side pocket bins.
3) I don't think it can read load weight. However, there are graphs and instant energy usage meters that show how much juice is used to accelerate or cruise. Obviously more weight equals more energy needed so in a way it does calculate.

In regards to regenerative braking, the brake pedal feel was very consistent with that of a normal gas car. On my hybrid, the switch between regen and brake pad results in a different brake pedal feel. Toyota/lexus hybrids switch back to brake pads when you braking over bumps in the road and it's a bit alarming. The tesla either doesn't do this or does it much more seamlessly.
Old 10-28-13, 10:39 AM
RXSF

Originally Posted by ST430
FYI - Santana row has superchargers in the garage.
That's interesting. It isn't listed on the tesla website nor the Santana row website. I checked and mapped everything out before my trip. I know they have chargers there but not necessarily the supercharger. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-28-13, 03:24 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
That's interesting. It isn't listed on the tesla website nor the Santana row website. I checked and mapped everything out before my trip. I know they have chargers there but not necessarily the supercharger. Thanks for the tip
Use Plugshare app and you can see all the SC spots. If I remember correctly, the Tesla SC is on the first floor garage almost right behind the showroom itself.
Old 10-28-13, 03:59 PM
Whichone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to hate electric cars but im warming up to them, especially one that goid looking. So tell me... how many girls did ya pick up? Oh and if your married... How many girls did you pick up?